2 of 2
So Annoying
Posted: 22 October 2009 06:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
macgyver - 22 October 2009 12:49 PM

Here’s a link to an interview between Ann Curry and Suzzane Somers. Curry is one of the few people who I have seen who have actually challenged her on her ideas instead of being a cheerleader, although I still think she could have challenged her on many more points. I guess she did the best she could in the 5 minutes she had.

I couldn’t watch more than two minutes! What the heck is “Full body cancer” I’ve never heard of it, I’ll bet none of the docs on the forum has heard of this cancer’ either. Notice, not once (at least in the first two minutes), does she say what ‘kind’ of cancer it was supposed to have been. Doctors don’t diagnose cancer as “full body”. You are diagnosed with, ‘X’ cancer with metastases to ‘X’ organs…

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 22 October 2009 06:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

When I heard her talking about the peptides, the first thing that came to mind is that she would be selling some new supplement pills to “prevent cancer.”

Then I realized, she may not be interested in selling pills at all - it’s just her new cancer book. To find out more about the “miracle peptide treatments that cure 60% of all cancers” people will just have to buy her new cancer book to find out how…

For someone who so stupidly buys into all the nonsense she sells, she sure knows how to reach her target market. She made millions with her home shopping channel lines, and now this series of best selling books. She’s smart about one thing - making money.

Asanta I have never heard of “full body cancer” either! It must be her new marketing term.  LOL

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 22 October 2009 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

I didn’t/ couldn’t listen long enough to her misrepresentations of medical practice to get to the part about ‘peptides’. I can’t imagine any doctor with a modicum of self respect participating in her ‘interviews’.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 23 October 2009 06:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  2188
Joined  2007-04-26
asanta - 22 October 2009 06:05 PM
macgyver - 22 October 2009 12:49 PM

Here’s a link to an interview between Ann Curry and Suzzane Somers. Curry is one of the few people who I have seen who have actually challenged her on her ideas instead of being a cheerleader, although I still think she could have challenged her on many more points. I guess she did the best she could in the 5 minutes she had.

I couldn’t watch more than two minutes! What the heck is “Full body cancer” I’ve never heard of it, I’ll bet none of the docs on the forum has heard of this cancer’ either. Notice, not once (at least in the first two minutes), does she say what ‘kind’ of cancer it was supposed to have been. Doctors don’t diagnose cancer as “full body”. You are diagnosed with, ‘X’ cancer with metastases to ‘X’ organs…

Of course you are correct asanta, there is no such thing obviously as “full body cancer”. I let this slide as I assumed it was her totally inept overly dramatic actress way of trying to say that she was told she had metastatic breast cancer. The story makes no sense though. She was diagnosed with breast cancer which was accurate and then claims that on the basis of some scans, six doctors told her she had metastatic disease. This is highly unlikely. what most likely happened is that they told her she might have metastatic disease and that further biopsies of the suspect lesions would need to be done to confirm that. And now years later the story is being distorted and exaggerated for commercial reasons and dramatic effect.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 23 October 2009 07:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  4080
Joined  2006-11-28

Here’s a nice deconstruction of the interview from Respectful Insolence. He theorizes she might have really had sarcoidosis, but in any case since she refuses to say who here doctors were, they are bound by confidentiality to keep quiet about what happened, so all weget is her twisted view of it.

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 23 October 2009 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  2188
Joined  2007-04-26

Thanks for the link Brennan.  He did a good job pointing out all the problems associated with this crazy woman’s inane rantings. Not sure how many people will read this but it should be mandatory reading for anyone who interviews somers

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 23 October 2009 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
macgyver - 23 October 2009 09:53 AM

Thanks for the link Brennan.  He did a good job pointing out all the problems associated with this crazy woman’s inane rantings. Not sure how many people will read this but it should be mandatory reading for anyone who interviews somers

....as well as anyone who listens to her idiocy too!

Signature 

Posted: 24 October 2009 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Who keeps publishing Chrissy?  Don’t they have any concern for
what they are doing to their audience?  She’s preying on innocent
people who are afraid of the possibility of cancer and happy to
have some assistance, I can understand fear, but someone
being frightened by the possibility of cancer, and looking to
Chrissy for your cancer/hormone/nutrition advice is more than I
can swallow.  confused Why are people buying it, is it just the cover
photo?  It looks like Random House is the culprit, but to their
credit they are one of the big publishers so they probably
publish a little of every sort of pop book.

There’s no denying that she is popular.

Now, when you publish your book and have it placed on the same
bookshelf as Chrissy,  two books written about the same topic,
what will you put on the cover to compete with her cover photo?
Keep in mind that a title like, “Reasons why Chrissy is an Idiot”
will probably get you sued.

Uggghh Oprah, ugh Oprah, she’s… uggghh. rolleyes

Ann Curry did pretty well, too bad their interview got cut off.

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 24 October 2009 02:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

Did you hear about the Sweat Lodge fiasco in AZ where 3 people died? The founder of this movement was promoted by Oprah! How many times does she need to have these woo meisters backfire on her before she begins to examine the claims. I’m sure many of these people trusted him because Oprah validated his movement. The Native Americans whose traditions they are pseudo co-opting (the said that this is NOT the way they do a ‘cleansing’ in a sweat lodge- the only commonality was that they called it a sweat lodge) are furious, for the impingement of their traditions. It was truly a case of ‘how many ways can you get it wrong’, OR ‘how to kill as many people as possible in the name of pseudotradition’. Ignorance, greed and religion, the most lethal of combinations.

[ Edited: 24 October 2009 02:51 PM by asanta ]
 Signature 

Posted: 24 October 2009 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

Asanta the sweat lodge guy was one of the authors of “The Secret” book I believe, or collaborated with them somehow.

I guess they did not “believe enough positive vibes” to have “The Secret” keep them from dying.  downer

The Native Americans get pissed when white wannbe hippies try to copy their ceremonies. They have strict protocols, limit the number of people, allow people to leave if they get too hot, open the door to let air in now and then, and use natural canvas (breathable - oxygen gets in) on the sweat lodge instead of plastic heat-sealing tarps and painter’s plastic drop cloths like this dumbass.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 24 October 2009 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Jules - 24 October 2009 03:48 PM

Asanta the sweat lodge guy was one of the authors of “The Secret” book I believe, or collaborated with them somehow.

I guess they did not “believe enough positive vibes” to have “The Secret” keep them from dying.  downer

The Native Americans get pissed when white wannbe hippies try to copy their ceremonies. They have strict protocols, limit the number of people, allow people to leave if they get too hot, open the door to let air in now and then, and use natural canvas (breathable - oxygen gets in) on the sweat lodge instead of plastic heat-sealing tarps and painter’s plastic drop cloths like this dumbass.

Yes, like I said, how many ways can you get it wrong!! I hope he and Oprah get sued!

Signature 

Posted: 24 October 2009 06:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

If her fans could see this thread, they’d be upset, but perhaps give Chrissy a second thought.  I hope they do.

Image Attachments
SuzanneSomers08TIFF.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 24 October 2009 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
jump_in_the_pit - 24 October 2009 06:31 PM

If her fans could see this thread, they’d be upset, but perhaps give Chrissy a second thought.  I hope they do.

I doubt it would change their minds! hmmm They’d find some excuse to rationalize their position. Remember, you cannot logically talk someone out of a position they didn’t use logic to get themselves into!

Signature 

Posted: 24 October 2009 08:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

I guess I’ve never met a fan of Chrissy’s books and products.  I wondered, I looked, some of them are angry at Anne, most seem proud of Chrissy, on her blog.

Signature 

Posted: 24 October 2009 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
jump_in_the_pit - 24 October 2009 08:22 PM

I guess I’ve never met a fan of Chrissy’s books and products.  I wondered, I looked, some of them are angry at Anne, most seem proud of Chrissy, on her blog.

I’ll bet! As comedian Ron White always says “...you caint fix stupid”!

Signature 

2 of 2