Hello from Alabama
Posted: 20 May 2006 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2006-05-18

I’m a 53 year old atheist and live in the Alabama belt with my husband and mother-in-law, who has Alzheimer’s.  I’m also enrolled in a second BA program at the local university so I can become a registered nurse.

It’s great to see that CFI has a message board. I subscribe to Free Inquiry Magazine and read every issue cover to cover. I’m pretty active on the Internet Infidels Message Board as nancynancy. Last year I participated on the Faithless Forum for a few months (hi Elder Norm) until I realized Universism was a scam. But that’s another topic.

Anyway, I look forward to participating here and getting to know all of you better.

Nancy

Posted: 20 May 2006 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-05-18

Hello from Alabama

I’m a 53 year old atheist and live in the Alabama belt with my husband and mother-in-law, who has Alzheimer’s.  I’m also enrolled in a second BA program at the local university so I can become a registered nurse.

It’s great to see that CFI has a message board. I subscribe to Free Inquiry Magazine and read every issue cover to cover. I’m pretty active on the Internet Infidels Message Board as nancynancy. Last year I participated on the Faithless Forum for a few months (hi Elder Norm) until I realized Universism was a scam. But that’s another topic.

Anyway, I look forward to participating here and getting to know all of you better.

Nancy

Posted: 21 May 2006 02:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-05-18

Doug,

How do I even begin to describe Universism in one hundred words or less?

Universism is a cult-like website that was disguised to look like a “religion” for atheists, agnostics, and other freethinkers but was really cynical money making scheme with a hodge-podge of postmodernism.  Early this year, Universism’s founder (a 29 year old medical student who legally changed his name to Ford Vox) managed to attract a startling amount of national publicity for a tiny group with less than 100 active members.  Ford soon antagonized the atheists and agnostics who quit this spring, and the group disbanded. But Ford has already launched his return—like a bad rash, he’ll be back.

Nancy

Posted: 21 May 2006 03:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  363
Joined  2006-02-23

Welcome Nancy,
Thanks for the Heads Up
Jim

Signature 

Jimmie Keyes
Tavernier, FL
http://secularhumanism.meetup.com/1/
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. (MLK Jr.)

Posted: 21 May 2006 05:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14
[quote author=“nancy2001”]Universism is a cult-like website that was disguised to look like a “religion” for atheists, agnostics, and other freethinkers but was really cynical money making scheme with a hodge-podge of postmodernism.  Early this year, Universism’s founder (a 29 year old medical student who legally changed his name to Ford Vox) managed to attract a startling amount of national publicity for a tiny group with less than 100 active members.  Ford soon antagonized the atheists and agnostics who quit this spring, and the group disbanded. But Ford has already launched his return—like a bad rash, he’ll be back.

Sounds positively radioactive.

It doesn’t surprise me that he makes use of postmodernism. A better way to confuse and obscure the mind has never been invented by humankind.

I am also always very skeptical of people touting “atheist religions” or atheist belief systems that depend essentially on some sort of special revealed knowledge, text or guru. There was a guy around here recently pushing Urantia, which he claimed was cooked up as an atheist religion. Given its founding history, I’d not be surprised if the same was true of Scientology.

Atheists can be as bamboozled as anyone else with this stuff. Stick with the enlightenment values of clarity, transparency, free inquiry, reason and experiment and leave that religious garbage for others.

rolleyes

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 22 May 2006 01:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2006-05-18

Hi Nancy,

Welcome to the “bright” side. Nothing cult-like about this bunch. The people on this forum are a testament to why it’s hard for atheists to organize the way religionists do. These folks are a bunch of intelligent, opinionated, individuals who mostly mistrust organizations. Now, watch how many of them disagree with me.

Welcome!

Posted: 22 May 2006 02:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2006-05-22

Nancy invited me to join her here on the CFI forums.  Nancy, thanks for the heads up on the CFI Forums!  And thanks for your work, sharing the truth about the Universism scam.

I better go make my own intro thread.  If anything goes wrong, you CFIers can blame Nancy for bringing me here!  wink

-ELGS

Posted: 22 May 2006 06:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-05-18

Thank you for your warm welcome.  I’m an avid reader of Free Inquiry and excited about participating on this message board. Everyone seems intelligent and committed to secular humanism. It’s great to be with like minded and rational people. 

Nancy

Posted: 22 May 2006 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  248
Joined  2005-06-28

Welcome to CFI! It does not surprise me that there are people trying to scam us.  Just be glad your not from the bible belt like I am.

Signature 

Fighting the evil belief that there is a god(s).

Posted: 22 May 2006 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-05-18

Atheistheretic,

I was born in New York and spent most of my adult life in San Francisco. But three years ago, I moved to Alabama to care for my mother-in-law, and now I’m definitely in the heart of the bible belt.

Nancy

Posted: 25 May 2006 01:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2006-05-23

Welcome Nancy

Hi Nancy,

Welcome to this forum.

We are just about the same age so it will be great to hear a womans perspective about a world free of religious dogma and immorality.

The other thing we have in common is caring for someone special in our lives, in my case my cerebral palsied son.

Personally, this caring has shaped my look at life.

It will be interesting to hear your view of life. Looking foward to your postings.

Fayzal

Signature 

Fayzal Mahamed,
Johannesburg, South Africa.

Posted: 27 May 2006 01:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-05-18

Fayzal, I think it’s important for people to realize you don’t need to believe in God to be a good person. I’m sure there are many atheists who take care of elderly parents and sick children not because God commands them to but because they know it’s the right thing to do. The latest issue of Free Inquiry magazine has an article by Paul Kurtz in which he suggests when people are asked if they believe in God, say “No, I do not; I am a skeptic” and then add “I believe in doing good!”