1 of 12
H1N1 Vaccine
Posted: 27 September 2009 03:18 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

People left and right are screaming “Don’t get the vaccine! It’s not proven SAFE yet!” Blogs and woo-woo authors and telling people to stay clear, and a lot of people are afraid. “It’s new and untested” they say.

My question is, isn’t the H1N1 vaccine created the same way as the regular flu vaccine? Same ingredients, same process? Same preservatives? Just different genetic components of this newer flu version but all else is the same right? Or is there something different about the makeup of this vaccine that people are so scared of? Is it the fact that the vaccine was created in a rush that worries them? It might be made sloppy or tainted due to the rush? I don’t understand how it can be so different from the regular seasonal flu shot.

I don’t see what all the worry is about! I believe it’s the same “risk” as regular seasonal flu shots. There is always a one-in-a-million chance a bad reaction will occur. That is true of any vaccine.

Side note, I have the option of getting my 8-year-old the seasonal flu shot tomorrow at the health clinic, or waiting one month until his checkup for the “flu mist” nasal vaccine. I’m thinking of doing the shot tomorrow to give him an early start and an extra month of protection. I think it might be prudent to give it sooner than later, because flu tends to whip through the public schools. Which is “safer” or “better” the new flu mist or the shot? Should I wait a month for the mist, or get the shot tomorrow? (My son doesn’t care either way, he knows the shot is just a pinch.) I believe the shot is killed vaccine and the mist is weakened. Not sure about ingredients or side effects. My pediatrician cheerfully said “Up to you! Matter of preference.” I don’t know much about the new “flu mist.” Any science/medical types have advice on this?  smile

[ Edited: 27 September 2009 03:32 PM by Jules ]
 Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 27 September 2009 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

I don’t have anything to add to what you have already said. I will be getting mine as soon as it is available. The researcher were under the gun to develop a vaccine for this unexpected development. I think they did a stellar job, although the proof will be in the effectiveness after the data is gathered. Unfortunately, this will be a two-edged sword. If the vaccine is effective, and they are able to get the pandemic under control, the antivaxxers will be screaming that they were crying wolf! If they got it wrong and it is not as affective as they hope it to be the antivaxxers will be screaming about ‘big pharma’. Lose-lose.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 27 September 2009 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  4812
Joined  2007-10-05

From what I’ve read the shot is much more effective than the flu mist.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 27 September 2009 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
fotobits - 27 September 2009 04:40 PM

From what I’ve read the shot is much more effective than the flu mist.

Yes, it isn’t effective outside of certain age groups anyway. If you are (ahem) past a certain age, you must get the shot. I (ahem) will be getting the shot! LOL
Even if I were not, I would probably get the shot because of my asthma problems.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 27 September 2009 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  7576
Joined  2007-03-02

I don’t know about the mist, but most flu vaccines I can’t take because I have an egg allergy.  It is mild, in that I can get away with one, sometimes two, and only if I eat nothing else that has eggs in it, which is hard.  I am often plagued with a rash when I eat eggs, because other things have eggs in it too.  I’m recovering from a rash currently because I ate too many things with eggs in it.  For a while there, I looked like I had some form of dermatitis.  In a way, I did and scratching didn’t help any, because now the wounds from scratching to hard have to heal.  Thus, I’m excluded from taking any flu vaccines.  My older son can’t take it either.  I forgot what reason they excluded him, but he’s glad because he hates needles.  He found this out recently when he asked for it, but they said he couldn’t take it.  He’s 20 currently and has asthma too.  I thought the reason was his asthma, but from what you just said, asanta, I guess I’m mistaken and didn’t understand what he said.  I know it deals with one of his allergies, because he is otherwise healthy.  I’m lost now.

My younger son has taken a flu shot before with no problems, but he doesn’t have food allergies.  He is allergic to amoxicillin, but obviously a penicillin or other drug allergy doesn’t exclude a person.  I’m allergic to penicillin, but he’s not allergic to that part of amoxicillin. It is one of the other ingredients in it, because he can take penicillin.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 27 September 2009 07:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  4812
Joined  2007-10-05

Those of us of a certain age group may not need the shot anyway. I heard an NPR report this morning talking about how the CDC has released preliminary findings that people who had flu shots in 1976 have developed immunity to this version of the swine flu. Only problem is I can barely remembers what I was doing in 1976, much less whether I got a flu shot. Probably not. I remember being ghastly sick with flu sometime around then, but can’t pin the exact date. Seeing as how I’m in school I guess I should get the shot.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 27 September 2009 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

I have a friend with a pretty bad egg allergy, and she takes plain old Benadryl allergy medicine 15-30 minutes prior to getting her flu shot, and once again about 5 hours later, on her doctor’s advice. I remember one year she did not bring it from home on company flu shot day, and we drove to a nearby pharmacy to get it for her before the nurse arrived at our office. It does the trick for her, she has no rash and hives and no other reactions - digestive, etc. But of course you should ask your own doctor or allergist before trying it.

I believe the flumist vaccine is cultured using eggs, just as the injectable vaccine is. “FluMist must not be given to: people with history of hypersensitivity to eggs, egg proteins, gentamicin, gelatin, or arginine…”Flumist.com

So I’ve been researching the differences tonight between flumist and the shot, and it seems many parents opt for the spray because it does not contain Thimerosal. But from what I understand, the big stink about Thimerosal was caused by ding dongs like Jenny McCarthy - Thimerosal does not contain the same type of mercury everyone is afraid of, and it breaks down/metabolizes into different components almost immediately in the body, which the body can evacuate in a couple of days.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 27 September 2009 07:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

I’ve asked more than one dr. concerning my egg allergy and the flu shot.  None of them recommended Benadryl.  They all refused to let me have the flu shot because I have an egg allergy.  Sounds like the mist, which I would prefer, could be worse than the shot for those allergic to eggs?

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 27 September 2009 08:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

If your doctors don’t recommend the Benadryl definitely don’t try it! I Wouldn’t want you to have a bad reaction to the eggs.

Signature 

Posted: 27 September 2009 08:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2008-06-03
fotobits - 27 September 2009 07:12 PM

Those of us of a certain age group may not need the shot anyway. I heard an NPR report this morning talking about how the CDC has released preliminary findings that people who had flu shots in 1976 have developed immunity to this version of the swine flu. Only problem is I can barely remembers what I was doing in 1976, much less whether I got a flu shot. Probably not. I remember being ghastly sick with flu sometime around then, but can’t pin the exact date. Seeing as how I’m in school I guess I should get the shot.

I remember having a nasty flu as a kid. There was a huge outbreak of flu in 1986. I was 11 years old. Oh it was terrible! I could not even walk, my father had to carry me to the car and into the doctor’s office. I could not keep any liquids down. They gave me some kind of suppository medicine because I could not swallow any medicine and I remember NOT being happy about that! They said if I didn’t keep liquids down after that I was going to the hospital. Whatever was in the suppository doped me up really well, and I was able to keep sips of water down. I remember shivering like crazy and begging my father to carry me to the shower and sit me down on the floor of the shower and turn the water on really hot. Then I remember my mother yelling at him that it would make my fever go UP and turn the water to cold. Oh the agony - I wanted my scalding water back to make the shivering stop! I remember my little brother asking my parents if I was dying when they turned the water to cold, and my mom saying “No, she’s just really pissed off.”

Looking back on it, I Googled and found info on the bad flu outbreak from 1986. Looks like it was an H1N1 (Type A?) as well.

CDC 1986 Flu Outbreak

NY Times 1986 Flu Outbreak

Well, ever since then, I will never forget how miserable that horrible strain of flu was! I will take my shot when I am able.  cheese

Signature 

Posted: 27 September 2009 08:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

I’m sad to hear about your rash and allergy Mriana.

I’m happy to hear that the researcher got the flu shot together so fast!  Great for them and great for us!  cool smile

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 27 September 2009 09:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

Yes, the egg allergy (from what I understand) makes the flu shot contraindicated for you, and if you have any neuromuscular disorder, I doubt they would give it to you either if they list gentamycin as one of the contraindications. Mriana, WE then, have to bite the bullet, put out our arms and take the vaccination to protect YOU!!

I remember getting a nasty flu in the fall of 1975, I don’t know if it was an H1N1, but it was pretty nasty. I only remember the year, because I’d just had a baby and wanted to continue breastfeeding. The Pediatrician were alarmed and wanted me to stop immediately, but I contacted the ‘Nipple Nazis’ (La Leche League) and they urged me to continue and that my antibodies would protect my baby, which turned out to be correct. Pediatricians were not as knowledgeable about breastfeeding in the 70s as they are now!

Signature 

Posted: 27 September 2009 10:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2007-03-02
asanta - 27 September 2009 09:41 PM

Yes, the egg allergy (from what I understand) makes the flu shot contraindicated for you, and if you have any neuromuscular disorder, I doubt they would give it to you either if they list gentamycin as one of the contraindications. Mriana, WE then, have to bite the bullet, put out our arms and take the vaccination to protect YOU!!

I’m sorry.  :(  I didn’t mean to be allergic to eggs.  It was just one of those things.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 27 September 2009 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Mriana - 27 September 2009 10:47 PM

I’m sorry.  :(  I didn’t mean to be allergic to eggs.  It was just one of those things.

That’s okay, I’m happy to ‘take the bullet’ for you LOL  we are all a part of the same ‘herd’.

Signature 

Posted: 27 September 2009 10:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2007-03-02
asanta - 27 September 2009 10:53 PM
Mriana - 27 September 2009 10:47 PM

That’s okay, I’m happy to ‘take the bullet’ for you LOL  we are all a part of the same ‘herd’.

Thanks.  smile  Sadly there will still be some phobic people out there who won’t get vaccinated against it and have no good excuse not to get it.  They then they get the flu and then I end up with it, but the last time I got the flu was several years ago while working in a daycare.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 28 September 2009 04:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15370
Joined  2006-02-14

Good article on the H1N1 vaccine and the potential scaremongering to come, in the NYTimes yesterday, read it HERE:

Don’t Blame Shots for All Ills, Swine Flu Officials Say
By DONALD G. McNEIL Jr.
Published: September 27, 2009

As soon as swine flu vaccinations start next month, some people getting them will drop dead of heart attacks or strokes, some children will have seizures and some pregnant women will miscarry.

But those events will not necessarily have anything to do with the vaccine. That poses a public relations challenge for federal officials, who remember how sensational reports of deaths and illnesses derailed the large-scale flu vaccine drive of 1976. ...

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

1 of 12