11 of 12
H1N1 Vaccine
Posted: 28 October 2009 06:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 151 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
Jules - 27 October 2009 08:15 PM

Some schools were tracking suspected cases (not confirmed cases) by attendance, which is a poor way to estimate. As soon as word gets out there is a confirmed case (or even false rumors) many parents pull their kids from class for several days, due to worry. Then like you said, at a certain point they close the school because there are not enough students there to justify sending all the teachers and staff in.

The ministry of health is coming to my wife’s school today because they have had 80 students sick within the past two weeks and are probably going to close down the school. The parents must have known that there was a good chance that their kids had H1N1 (only a few got tested), nevertheless they send the kids back to school within a couple of days. Now, my wife works for a private school and many (if not most) of the mothers don’t work. But I guess they really could not afford to miss their class of yoga, so they send the sick kids back to school.

Posted: 28 October 2009 06:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 152 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03
George - 28 October 2009 06:02 AM

But I guess they really could not afford to miss their class of yoga, so they send the sick kids back to school.

LOL I got a good laugh out of your joke!

Sending sick children back to school, that is shameful. What if other children in the class have immune disease or asthma? They could die from H1N1. Many sick parents send their kids back to school with the tail-end of a fever, they give them a little Tylenol and send them on their way. Or they send them back the minute the fever breaks, which is bad. We are supposed to wait until at least a full day has passed with no fever before sending back to school.

I understand that a lot of working parents would be scrambling to find child care during school closures, if they cannot miss work. Especially single mothers. I would be scrambling for child care, since I have used all my vacation days for 2009.

I suppose if I was a housewife, and there were many cases circulating in the school and my child was not yet vaccinated, I would ask to bring my child’s lessons home for a few days to teach him myself, so he could keep up with the class. 

Unfortunately, I did not marry a wealthy man who would let me stay home and take yoga classes! I guess I was a poor planner.  wink

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 28 October 2009 07:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 153 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
Jules - 28 October 2009 06:32 AM

I understand that a lot of working parents would be scrambling to find child care during school closures, if they cannot miss work. Especially single mothers. I would be scrambling for child care, since I have used all my vacation days for 2009.

Yes, this is a problem. Not sure what can be done about it. Probably not much.

Posted: 31 October 2009 01:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 154 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

My hospital announced last month that while you had to use your sick leave if you came down with the flu, it would not be counted against you toward your allowable sick days for the year. They are serious about keeping us home if we are sick with the flu.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 31 October 2009 07:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 155 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

There has been a nasty COLD going around the schools and our office in the last three weeks. I had it: low-to-no fever, cough, lousy feeling, very runny and stuffy nose. Yucky cold. It is funny how many people think they had H1N1 in the past three weeks! They are saying “I had it and I’m fine! It wasn’t any worse than a cold! Now I’m immune!”  rolleyes

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 31 October 2009 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 156 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Jules - 31 October 2009 07:21 AM

There has been a nasty COLD going around the schools and our office in the last three weeks. I had it: low-to-no fever, cough, lousy feeling, very runny and stuffy nose. Yucky cold. It is funny how many people think they had H1N1 in the past three weeks! They are saying “I had it and I’m fine! It wasn’t any worse than a cold! Now I’m immune!”  rolleyes

BIG difference between a cold and the flu!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 31 October 2009 12:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 157 ]
Joined  2008-06-03
asanta - 31 October 2009 12:22 PM

That is why so many people who think they’ve had the flu but actually had colds, when they get the a real FLU they think they’re dying of some rare and horrible disease.  LOL

Signature 

Posted: 31 October 2009 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 158 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Jules - 31 October 2009 12:56 PM
asanta - 31 October 2009 12:22 PM

That is why so many people who think they’ve had the flu but actually had colds, when they get the a real FLU they think they’re dying of some rare and horrible disease.  LOL

tongue wink

Signature 

Posted: 31 October 2009 06:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 159 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03
Mriana - 29 September 2009 04:21 AM

I’m substitute teaching now and I can imagine how many parents don’t vaccinate here ....

They are going to offer H1N1 flu shots in the schools in the counties near us, the kids were given permission slips to take home. It will be interesting to see what percent get permission (sometimes it’s hard to get 100% of the forms back—nothing to do with the flu). 

This could be a good season for substitutes - more teachers are out for sickness than usual as well.

Posted: 31 October 2009 08:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 160 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2006-04-03

Arrrggghhhh!!!  Met a woman yesterday whose daughter is “waiting” to give her children the flu shot.  She’s also a wacko who thinks that regular immunizations are eeeeevvvviiiiillllll.  And that there really is antifreeze in them.  The look on her face as I told her that particular item was NOT in injections.  She just smiled and shook her head.  I wanted push it against the wall!!

I hoped that her granddaughter didn’t get the flu or the measles.  Or, if she did, didn’t wind up in the hospital.  Or cross paths with some immuno-compromised adult.  Asshole.  I had to stop talking to her.  Even though we were still in the same room for about another hour.

Thank you all for your sanity and for this safe space where I can rant!!!

Posted: 31 October 2009 10:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 161 ]
Total Posts:  7614
Joined  2007-03-02
Jackson - 31 October 2009 06:57 PM
Mriana - 29 September 2009 04:21 AM

I’m substitute teaching now and I can imagine how many parents don’t vaccinate here ....

They are going to offer H1N1 flu shots in the schools in the counties near us, the kids were given permission slips to take home. It will be interesting to see what percent get permission (sometimes it’s hard to get 100% of the forms back—nothing to do with the flu). 

This could be a good season for substitutes - more teachers are out for sickness than usual as well.

Not if they keep closing the schools due to high absences attributed to the flu.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 18 November 2009 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 162 ]
Total Posts:  350
Joined  2008-12-11

(NYC health-care workers opposed the swine-flu vaccine being mandatory for themselves, but . . . )

Department store Santas lobby to receive H1N1 vaccine before the holidays

BY Jim Farber
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
Wednesday, November 18th 2009, 11:08 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/health/2009/11/18/2009-11-18_department_store_santas_lobby_to_receive_h1n1_shots.html

Santas may love to give but there’s one thing they’d rather not receive in return: swine flu.

It seems the nation’s Santas want special priority for getting the H1N1 vaccine - and not only because of all the snot-nosed kids pawing them all day long. It also has to do with the big bellies they sport, according to an AP report.

Research suggests that obesity could be a major risk factor in getting the disease. . .

Posted: 18 November 2009 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 163 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

Well… if Santas got the vaccine, at least they wouldn’t be PASSING the virus on to each of the hundreds of children who sat on their lap. I suppose that is a good thing.

Mall santas creep me out. The only time I let my son sit on a santa lap was a guy at the firehouse who I knew very well, was dressing up as santa for their fundraiser.

Signature 

Posted: 25 November 2009 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 164 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

A lot of nonsense, mixed irresponsibly with a couple of stretched facts, on HuffPost regarding their H1N1 Recommendations.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/preventing-the-swine-flu_b_363935.html

According to them, I’ve put my child at risk by getting him the vaccine.

Speaking of vaccine, I was happy to get my son the 2nd dose last night (kids under 10 require 2 doses, 4 weeks apart from each other). The line for the shot was a 2 hour wait at our local Hospital, but worth it I think. I feel better knowing he’s had both doses as recommended.

Jenny McCarthy would call me a terrible mother.  LOL

Signature 

Posted: 25 November 2009 05:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 165 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

I finally got mine last week, finally fully protected! It’s funny, most of the nurses who usually refuse the flu shot are running scared this year. We have had 100% compliance with the seasonal flu, and they are clamoring for the H1N1. We’ve finally received a vial at work so we can inject each other and everyone is getting it!

Signature 

11 of 12