12 of 12
H1N1 Vaccine
Posted: 25 November 2009 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 166 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

When we got his first vaccine, last month, they had single dose version at the pediatric clinic. Last night at the hospital vaccine event they had the big vials. Next week our city will have a large shipment of nasal spray vaccine, but the clinic hours are during my work hours, so I had to take him last night.

If I could have gotten him the nasal, I would have avoided the shot for him. He’s been a trooper for the seasonal and H1N1 shots, but each time he gets a little more afraid and begs me not to take him back for more shots. I said “Sorry buddy, the nasal spray is only available when I’m working! You’re going to have to toughen up and get the shot!” As a reward I took him to his favorite place for dinner. Besides, after two hours in line I didn’t feel like cooking!

Oh, my son loved the male nurse who did his shot. He had a ponytail and a bunch of earrings, and an Irish accent. My kid thought he was getting his vaccine from a rock star. It was very cute, the guy distracted and amused him so much he didn’t mind the shot. My boy was too busy high-fiving him and telling him who his favorite bands were… he didn’t notice the needle until the shot was already halfway done!

By the way, how many (adult) doses are in those big vials, Asanta? I’m curious. Do medical staff prefer the single-dose pre-made syringes? I noticed a lot of time spent in the line was the nurses drawing up doses between patients, I imagine lines go much faster with the single doses pre-made shots? (Hey, any way the manufacturers can get them out, I’ll take them. I’m just curious!)

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 25 November 2009 06:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 167 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

I had my annual persantin/thallium test this Monday, and I made a note to myself for next year.  If Asanta, Macgyver, and any other doctor here approves, Jules, you may want to do the same for your kids.  They put a needle then a tiny plastic tube into a vein in the back of one’s hand then tape it in place for a few hours while they run the tests, including adding the radioactive thallium then the persantin.  While I’ve given about six or eight gallons of blood when I was younger, I never minded those elephant needles, but the back of my hand is apparently more sensitive.  So, what I was considering was to wipe the back of my hand with a commercial OTC topical anesthetic ointment before I left for the doctor’s office, then wash my hands just before they started.  That way, by the time they inserted the needle there, my skin would be quite numb and I’d probably feel almost nothing.  So, Asanta, et al, does that make sense?

Occam

Posted: 25 November 2009 06:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 168 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Jules - 27 September 2009 08:02 PM

If your doctors don’t recommend the Benadryl definitely don’t try it! I Wouldn’t want you to have a bad reaction to the eggs.

My friend whose son is allergic to eggs, had the vaccination without a problem. I don’t know if she premedicated with benadryl, which sounds like a great idea.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 25 November 2009 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 169 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Asanta, I’m not sure if you were answering just Jule’s old post or also mine, two above, also.  I wasn’t talking about taking an oral material.  Rather, using a topical ointment with benzocaine, lidocaine, etc. in it to deaden the surface nerves in the skin where the needle will be inserted.

Occam

Posted: 25 November 2009 07:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 170 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam - 25 November 2009 06:39 PM

I had my annual persantin/thallium test this Monday, and I made a note to myself for next year.  If Asanta, Macgyver, and any other doctor here approves, Jules, you may want to do the same for your kids.  They put a needle then a tiny plastic tube into a vein in the back of one’s hand then tape it in place for a few hours while they run the tests, including adding the radioactive thallium then the persantin.  While I’ve given about six or eight gallons of blood when I was younger, I never minded those elephant needles, but the back of my hand is apparently more sensitive.  So, what I was considering was to wipe the back of my hand with a commercial OTC topical anesthetic ointment before I left for the doctor’s office, then wash my hands just before they started.  That way, by the time they inserted the needle there, my skin would be quite numb and I’d probably feel almost nothing.  So, Asanta, et al, does that make sense?

Occam

I’m assuming you are talking about the needles and not the persantin/thallium test smile , I didn’t know that they make a topical OTC anesthetic ointment! I have a stash of EMLA cream I use for painful procedures (it is from a hospital and is absorbed deeper into the derma). OTC ointment will work with IV starts, especially on someone older, because the skin is thinner,  but the anesthetic effect will probably be too superficial to be much of a help for a muscular injection that is truly painful (which most vaccinations are not).

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 25 November 2009 07:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 171 ]
Joined  2008-06-03
Occam - 25 November 2009 06:39 PM

Occam

Neat - I wonder if the pain relief gel would numb it enough to make a difference? The dentist put numbing gel on my kids gums before giving a shot of novicane. He had to have a baby tooth pulled that was not falling out. An adult tooth came in behind it instead of on top of it, like sharks teeth. So the baby tooth did not get pushed out or even loosened.

Yes the back of the hand IV hurts worst of any IV.  Ask for forearm if possible, less painful!

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 25 November 2009 07:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 172 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

As a side note, I think it is 95% fear of the needle and 5% actual pain. smile

(For flu shots, that is. IV or a big penicillin shot in the ass would hurt like hell no matter what!)

Then again, putting benzocaine on and TELLING him it will hurt less might make him much more confident.  LOL

Signature 

Posted: 25 November 2009 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 173 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Jules - 25 November 2009 07:35 PM

(For flu shots, that is. IV or a big penicillin shot in the ass would hurt like hell no matter what!)

Then again, putting benzocaine on and TELLING him it will hurt less might make him much more confident.  LOL

You’re right!! I was terrified of of shots until recently when I realized it was mostly in my head!! And as far as pain relief is concerned, the gel will work better, since you can leave a glop on for a while to let it absorb.

Signature 

Posted: 25 November 2009 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 174 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

Yes, Penicillin, Tetanus, cholera, cortisone, and Hep B injections all hurt, and there is not much you can do other than take Motrin beforehand!

Signature 

Posted: 25 November 2009 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 175 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

A lady at my office told me she wasn’t getting the shot because she “didn’t believe in vaccines” I told her it was not like Santa at Xmas, shots are not to be believed or disbelieved. She did not feel they were dangerous (the usual argument) she just felt they did not work. Why? Her doctor convinced her to give her kid the flu shot. She said “and he didn’t even get sick that year so it did nothing.” I wanted to bash my head on the wall. It is not a treatment, dipshit, it is a preventative!

(Of course if he did get the flu, it could have given him a milder case than without the vaccine.)

[ Edited: 25 November 2009 07:54 PM by Jules ]
 Signature 

Posted: 25 November 2009 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 176 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
Jules - 25 November 2009 07:35 PM

Well, the H1N1 vaccine I got hurt like hell; I suppose that’s because our vaccines were adjuvanted. But even though I couldn’t sleep on my arm for almost a week I would always take the pain over the flu.

Posted: 25 November 2009 07:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 177 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

My arm was quite sore afterward, but the actual shot was just a pinch.  smile

Signature 

Posted: 25 November 2009 08:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 178 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Jules - 25 November 2009 07:59 PM

My arm was quite sore afterward, but the actual shot was just a pinch.  smile

Hmm, didn’t feel the injection and no soreness afterward.
When I get to work, I’ll check to see how many injections are in a multidose vial of the H1N1 and let you know. We use the multidose because it is less expensive to administer from, and also easier to transport.

Signature 

12 of 12