Treating Epilepsy w/ Homeopathy Not
Posted: 14 October 2009 04:49 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2009-04-09

My daughter’s life was saved by a team of neurologists and neurosurgeons. Needless to say, I am so grateful for the advances in science that has allowed my kid to be, so far, seizure free. However, I still contribute to an epilepsy forum.

One parent posted that her child was just diagnosed and that they were not going to give her the medicine that the neurologist prescribed because they live a “holistic lifestyle”. The mother took her to a neurologist, only after many months of seizing and only after their family chiropractor suggested it. This mother said that her kids had not been to a pediatrician in years, as they eat right, exercise, and go for regular adjustments. She boasted that her kids are never sick with an ear infection and that they have not been vaccinated. She was not satisfied with the   anti-seizure med. prescribed by the neurologist and decided that homeopathy was, of coarse, the way to treat this. Her daughter is having multiple seizures a day.

I told her that epilepsy is very serious, much more so than an ear infection. Uncontrolled seizures can cause brain damage and death. I told her that the Dr.‘s were very close to putting my kid in an induced coma to protect her brain before we got control of the seizures.

I advised her to forget about homeopathy for this, as it does not stand up to the scrutiny of science, i.e. double-blind studies. I mentioned what happened to John Travolta’s son, that he was not on any medicine and died of a seizure.  I strongly suggested that she stick with the neurologist, or better yet, an epileptologist.

She didn’t like anything I had to say, and responded, that I am not to leave comments for her anymore.

I think she is an idiot and terribly arrogant to think that after leaving the neurologist office, she went home and googled “natural” treatments…thinking that her stellar research skills (on quack websites) is better than what a pediatric neurologist would recommend. Baffling.

I feel awful for the innocent child involved. It’s my opinion that if an adult wants to be illogical regarding their own health, then that’s their right…and probably their death. But, when I read stories of parents putting it in God’s hands, or a quack’s hands; it infuriates me. They shouldn’t be allowed to get away with this. How does society protect kids from irrational parents?

Posted: 14 October 2009 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
Shmedelle - 14 October 2009 04:49 PM

My daughter’s life was saved by a team of neurologists and neurosurgeons. Needless to say, I am so grateful for the advances in science that has allowed my kid to be, so far, seizure free. However, I still contribute to an epilepsy forum.

One parent posted that her child was just diagnosed and that they were not going to give her the medicine that the neurologist prescribed because they live a “holistic lifestyle”. The mother took her to a neurologist, only after many months of seizing and only after their family chiropractor suggested it. This mother said that her kids had not been to a pediatrician in years, as they eat right, exercise, and go for regular adjustments. She boasted that her kids are never sick with an ear infection and that they have not been vaccinated. She was not satisfied with the   anti-seizure med. prescribed by the neurologist and decided that homeopathy was, of coarse, the way to treat this. Her daughter is having multiple seizures a day.

I told her that epilepsy is very serious, much more so than an ear infection. Uncontrolled seizures can cause brain damage and death. I told her that the Dr.‘s were very close to putting my kid in an induced coma to protect her brain before we got control of the seizures.

I advised her to forget about homeopathy for this, as it does not stand up to the scrutiny of science, i.e. double-blind studies. I mentioned what happened to John Travolta’s son, that he was not on any medicine and died of a seizure.  I strongly suggested that she stick with the neurologist, or better yet, an epileptologist.

She didn’t like anything I had to say, and responded, that I am not to leave comments for her anymore.

I think she is an idiot and terribly arrogant to think that after leaving the neurologist office, she went home and googled “natural” treatments…thinking that her stellar research skills (on quack websites) is better than what a pediatric neurologist would recommend. Baffling.

I feel awful for the innocent child involved. It’s my opinion that if an adult wants to be illogical regarding their own health, then that’s their right…and probably their death. But, when I read stories of parents putting it in God’s hands, or a quack’s hands; it infuriates me. They shouldn’t be allowed to get away with this. How does society protect kids from irrational parents?

Wow, I must say (as an RN) that I am impressed with your presentation and through understanding of the problem of untreated seizures. As a PICU nurse, I have cared for children in induced comas for intractable seizures. I have also cared for more children that I care to remember, who fell, unobserved, during a seizure, obstructed their airway and were found too late to prevent death or profound brain injury. Does the child go to school? Social services should be involved in this case as well as Child Protective Services, please, for the child’s sake, call.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 15 October 2009 07:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

You need to find out where that sorry ass excuse for a mother lives, and file a complaint with social services. To really get the ball rolling, you might contact the local police station as well as the child’s school principal (although I have a sick feeling they are home schoolers). If you cannot find out where she lives, contact the web host of the forum or Internet provider. Tell them a parent is endangering a child and the child could die. Ask them not to give the private contact info to you, but directly to the police or social workers - even web or forum privacy agreements make exceptions for illegal or dangerous activity. If you are friendly with your local police you might ask them advice on how to do this. Local police have tracked down child abusers across the country. They can find within minutes a teen online who threatens suicide, for example. They can call police in her area. Someone has to do this or the child will die or suffer permanent brain damage. If I ever got a hold of that lady I would kick her ass. NOBODY has a right to endanger a child like that.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 16 October 2009 07:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2009-09-29

This is crazy. Kids’ lives are more important than principles. Modern medicine does well when it comes to acute conditions and this is probably one of them. One can experiment when there is no immediate danger, but one can’t when there is a risk of imminent death.

Skeptic

Posted: 16 October 2009 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-09
skeptic65 - 16 October 2009 07:26 AM

This is crazy. Kids’ lives are more important than principles. Modern medicine does well when it comes to acute conditions and this is probably one of them. One can experiment when there is no immediate danger, but one can’t when there is a risk of imminent death.

Skeptic

Her post was titled, something like, “4 yr. old Daughter Just Diagnosed, Please Help”. S,o I told her what I know; a pediatric neurologist or a neurologist who specializes in epilepsy (an epileptologist) was the only appropriate medical professional. Clearly, she had already made up her mind that a real doctor was not an option because he prescribed an anti-epileptic medicine. (How arrogant that she thinks she knows more than the neurologist!!)

After she read about the possible side-effects (cognitive slowing, learning disabilities, and irritability); she ordered, Epi-Still from a quack website, has made an appointment with a homeopathic M.D.——Are such M.D.‘s really doctors? Who have been to real medical school?

She said she is also treating with “upper cranial chiropractic adjustments”. Scary, I know.

Also, the general tone of her posts, are that this isn’t serious at all. Do to the absence seizures, the child had 3 incidents of walking into traffic and wandering off in parking lots. She joked that the kids at her preschool thought the seizures were funny.

I told her that the side-effects of uncontrolled seizures are life threatening, can cause significant brain damage, which is much worse than the side-effect of any anti-seizure medicine.

On this forum, she listed her first and last name and her child’s name, along with the city and state that they live in. Yes, I will call the C.P.S. and the local police.
Thanks all, for giving me the nudge to call. it is the right thing to do for this kid. Parents should not be allowed to get away with this.

Posted: 16 October 2009 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

Be sure to give them copies of the emails as well.
NO, homeopathic ‘doctors’ do not have ANY medical training. They can be prosecuted if they present themselves as doctors for practicing medicine without a license.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 16 October 2009 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

Asanta, it really gets me how these homeopaths present themselves. Most of these “naturalist doctors” have a phony doctorate from “Clayton College of Natural Health” a non-accredited mail order diploma mill.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 16 October 2009 04:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-09
asanta - 16 October 2009 01:55 PM

Be sure to give them copies of the emails as well.
NO, homeopathic ‘doctors’ do not have ANY medical training. They can be prosecuted if they present themselves as doctors for practicing medicine without a license.

I did save her post and will supply the appropriate authorities with a copy of the thread. I knew that homeopaths were quacks, but when she stated he was a Homeopathic M.D., that confused me. I thought, M.D.?——As in physician? Medical Doctor? Huh?
Another sad thing about the forum exchange, was that other parents who agreed with me, sent me emails saying, “good for you, you told her what I didn’t want to say.”
In the public thread, another mom kindly warned her that, initially, her child suffered damage from uncontrolled seizures because of a misdiagnosis. Several others, informed her that their kid was taking the same drug that had been prescribed and have not had any side-effects. (I too, conveyed that my child is on it and there aren’t any problems. I mentioned that we did have to try about 9 different meds (and combos) until we settled on this current one.)

So, obviously, she joined the forum to not gain any insight from others who have been through this, but rather to, just tell us that she only believes in alternative medicine! Even though, I was the only poster who told it like it is, I was still tactful, I knew that if I had been condescending it would have only given her fuel for her allegiance to the quacks.

asanta,
I have enjoyed reading many of your posts here. You mentioned the hypocrisy of those who are conspiratorial in their beliefs when it comes to the science of medicine, but are perfectly satisfied with science regarding, “cell phone, computer, GPS, and flat screen T.V.‘s”. Well, that would be laughable if innocent children, who’s medical decisions are in the hands of their irrational parents, didn’t have to pay the price. Hopefully, the authorities will step-in when I make the calls on Monday.

My gratitude and respect for science, the M.D.‘s, and the wonderful nurses (such as yourself)—who saved my child, is immense. One day I will go back to Texas Children’s, just to give those nurses a sloppy hug! And, please do not be “impressed with my understanding of untreated seizures”. I am not unique, most parents do for their child as I have done, even if they are religious, most still take the advice of their neurologists.

Posted: 16 October 2009 05:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02

I just hope the girl gets the treatment she needs and not fake treatment that won’t help her at all.  Hopefully Children’s services will help her.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 16 October 2009 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Jules - 16 October 2009 03:08 PM

Asanta, it really gets me how these homeopaths present themselves. Most of these “naturalist doctors” have a phony doctorate from “Clayton College of Natural Health” a non-accredited mail order diploma mill.

It still doesn’t make it legal. You are still representing yourself as a doctor without a license, which is illegal.

Shmedelle, Thanks for the compliment! red face

Signature 

Posted: 16 October 2009 08:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2008-06-03
asanta - 16 October 2009 07:50 PM
Jules - 16 October 2009 03:08 PM

It still doesn’t make it legal. You are still representing yourself as a doctor without a license, which is illegal.

Shmedelle, Thanks for the compliment! red face

That what I am saying - they are phonies and scam artists. It is slimy and illegal what they do! They misrepresent themselves. They get a phony mail order PhD then call themselves “Doctor” hoping no one will notice the difference between a phony PhD and a phony MD! They are not even a real PhD. Some mail order books, an open book quiz, and sending a check for a few grand! Really ticks me off, these cheaters and scum.

Signature 

Posted: 16 October 2009 08:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Jules - 16 October 2009 08:31 PM

That what I am saying - they are phonies and scam artists. It is slimy and illegal what they do! They misrepresent themselves. They get a phony mail order PhD then call themselves “Doctor” hoping no one will notice the difference between a phony PhD and a phony MD! They are not even a real PhD. Some mail order books, an open book quiz, and sending a check for a few grand! Really ticks me off, these cheaters and scum.

Yup, should be UNDER the prison, they’d make a great foundation!

Signature 

Posted: 16 October 2009 10:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-09
asanta - 16 October 2009 08:40 PM
Jules - 16 October 2009 08:31 PM

Yup, should be UNDER the prison, they’d make a great foundation!

Yes, they should be UNDER the prison, but they are NOT. They have nifty websites spewing their “education” on alternative medicine, and the gullible ones buy it. Hook, line and sinker. What baffles me, is how are they able to put M.D., or Ph.D. after their name if they graduated from a non-accredited university? Because the neglectful mother, I mentioned, was sure to write that they are seeing a Homeopathic M.D..
Is it that these “practitioners” set up shop (usually in a strip-mall) and advertise as M.D.‘s and there isn’t an agency that will stop them?