1 of 3
X-Ray Overdose
Posted: 16 October 2009 05:00 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14

Did anyone read the NYT and see the horrible incident of the child receiving over a hundered bursts of radiation from a possibly deranged, and psychotic X-Ray Technician?
The little boy had neck pain after rolling off his bed. He was taken to ER where routine CT scans were ordered. The technician kept the kid for over an hour, and pressed the “dose” button over 150x!
They say the kid has a slim chance of avoiding cancer. Cataracts will most likely develop in 3-5 years.
The X-Ray technician was fired and de-licensed. She is appealing the decision. Officials have called it an Uber-extreme case of negligence, and quite possibly an Intentional, malicious act.
Below is the photo of Raven Knickerbocker the X-ray tech who kept zapping the poor kids head in the same spot. The father who was holding the child finally stopped the test when he thought it was taking too long. The routine should have been 25 times, The kid got 151 hits in the same spot.
Elsewhere in California, authorities are trying to figure out how dozens of people also received overdoses of radiation at an LA hospital.
I’ll tell you, just my opinion, but you should never allow someone like this to touch you. They gave this person control over peoples lives!!

[ Edited: 16 October 2009 05:07 AM by VYAZMA ]
Image Attachments
16radi.1903[1].jpg
 Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 16 October 2009 06:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
VYAZMA - 16 October 2009 05:00 AM

I’ll tell you, just my opinion, but you should never allow someone like this to touch you.

What do you mean? Someone who looks like her?

Posted: 16 October 2009 06:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2009-09-29

One off cases like this can and will happen. But in general, hospitals are scary places. One could become a mere statistic by simply getting hospitalized. More than 100,000 people die in the hospitals due to mistakes. Also a huge number of people catch infections from super bugs that can only be found in hospitals. What’s worse, they may not always tell you what medicines they are giving you when you are there.

Skeptic

Posted: 16 October 2009 07:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2009-09-29

And check out this link:

http://blog.cleveland.com/health/2009/04/hospitalacquired_infections_li.html

Skeptic

Posted: 16 October 2009 08:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2008-08-14
George - 16 October 2009 06:38 AM
VYAZMA - 16 October 2009 05:00 AM

I’ll tell you, just my opinion, but you should never allow someone like this to touch you.

What do you mean? Someone who looks like her?

Someone showing signs of a disorder. The Roth parents are also quoted as saying that she was incessantly talking about her personal life-in a rapid fashion while administering the 151 doses of Radiation.
The hospital also shooed the parents and child away, saying that all was routine.(another technician came into to replace Knickerboker, adding another 25 or so shots of Radiation-for a total of approx. 176. The visual signs of Radiation Burns were apparent on the poor boys face a short while after the tests.)
The parents sought help from authorities-who investigated the incident. They found that the hospital didn’t report the Incident-which they were required by law to do. Obviously the parents are suing. But how? What could possibly be recompense for such an act?
This child is most likely doomed. It breaks my heart.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 16 October 2009 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

When ever I take a kid to do a CT scan in my hospital, there are usually two licensed personnel present. I wonder why there was no one available here? The second tech should have been able to see how many pictures had been taken. Why did he take more?

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 16 October 2009 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
skeptic65 - 16 October 2009 06:54 AM

What’s worse, they may not always tell you what medicines they are giving you when you are there.
Skeptic

You are extrapolating a case and making a generalization about all medicine….again. Yes, we DO tell patients what we are giving them, and WHY, and HOW, and HOW OFTEN, and possible SIDE effects. It is part of MY responsibility as a nurse.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 16 October 2009 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2008-08-14
asanta - 16 October 2009 02:07 PM

When ever I take a kid to do a CT scan in my hospital, there are usually two licensed personnel present. I wonder why there was no one available here? The second tech should have been able to see how many pictures had been taken. Why did he take more?

The second tech determined that the first “series” were not good.(I’m only gleening this from the Times and The Eureka Paper)
Asanta you would know this-despite all the claims of “no assistance” made by Knickerbocker, isn’t there a maximum limit to the number of “pictures” one can take? Shouldn’t Knickerbocker have stopped at say…20( or whatever). Shouldn’t Knickerboocker have explained to the second guy-“Wait don’t do any more, I’ve already given him 151 HITS!”
It’s plain spooky. Unless it can be shown that that machine malfunctioned, and shot a burst of 151 blasts. Is that possible?
No No…it’s crazy. She said she only remembers pushing the button 4-6 times. That’s not 151 times.
Did you see the little guys face? Ugh…ughh! All because he fell out of bed and bumped his head. A kid that little, I’m sure whatever ailed him wasn’t that serious to begin with. Kids are practically made out of cartilage at that age.

Signature 

Posted: 16 October 2009 08:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

The machine would have had a record of the number of pictures it had taken. clearly tech #2 was lacking in critical thinking skills and the fact that the pictures were of poor quality should have been overridden by the fact that an excessive number had been taken. At that point, he should have notified both his supervisor and the ED doctor.

Signature 

Posted: 16 October 2009 08:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03
asanta - 16 October 2009 02:07 PM

I just read the article. So sad!

Appears to have been a very small local hospital, maybe understaffed, is why only one tech was there?

The article said the second tech arrived and redid the shots in two mintues that it took the other lady an hour, and he redid them because the 150 images the crazy lady took were fuzzy and the doctor still needed to see if the kid had an injury.

The story (don’t know how to paste from my iPod) is so sad and has more detail and a photo of the poor little boy. Google New York Times Xray Overdose and the story comes up.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 18 October 2009 06:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  2190
Joined  2007-04-26

Vyazma you need to keep in mind that this case is an extreme exception to the terrific work done by nurses and other hospital workers every day. There are and will be exceptions as there are in every profession but its important to recognize that this is an exception and just that. It is not an accurate representation of what goes on in hospitals.

It amazes me that you think that somehow supervisors and employers can somehow seperate “someone like this” as though they have a neon sign on their head that says “I’m crazy”.  People always seem to want to believe that such situations are easy to avoid if everyone would just do their job. It may be comforting to think so but the fact is that its just not true.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 18 October 2009 07:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2008-08-14
macgyver - 18 October 2009 06:13 AM

Vyazma you need to keep in mind that this case is an extreme exception to the terrific work done by nurses and other hospital workers every day. There are and will be exceptions as there are in every profession but its important to recognize that this is an exception and just that. It is not an accurate representation of what goes on in hospitals.

It amazes me that you think that somehow supervisors and employers can somehow seperate “someone like this” as though they have a neon sign on their head that says “I’m crazy”.  People always seem to want to believe that such situations are easy to avoid if everyone would just do their job. It may be comforting to think so but the fact is that its just not true.

Thanks for the Hot Tip! I knew I could count on you to put things into perspective. And don’t worry, according to the latest story I could find in that regions Newspaper, the parents were denied the right to litigate.
Over 150 people were given x-ray overdoses at Cedars-Sinai Hospital in LA too. Some folks hair fell out!
Don’t tell me what to keep in mind. You keep your own mind, I’ll keep my mind.
I’m a truck driver, and my license is scrutinized several times a year. A monkey could do my job. Yet, I’m tested for drugs, heart, vision, ears, mental health, diabetes, Criminal behavior, physical fitness on and on and….don’t tell me a half blind momo couldn’t have detected some irregularities in this woman! Anyone can plainly see a blatant sign of a disorder just from the foto. A disorder that can be traced to probable mental/psychological “issues”.
Spare me that Bedtime story MacGeyver.

Signature 

Posted: 18 October 2009 01:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

While Vyazma was rather strong in his reply, I have to agree with his criticism.  I can understand that, as a doctor, Macgyver would feel some need to protect those in his industry.  However, this wasn’t a case of an improper procedure; that was just the outcome.  The problem was that of defective management oversight, and that’s not something that should be excused, no matter whether it’s in the financial, educational, transportation, or medical field. 

In addition, the level of oversight should be related to the likelihood and severity of damage to the customer.  For example, it’s probably less dangerous if the library district doesn’t do an excellent job of monitoring the mental health of kid shelving the books.  Of course there are antidiscrimination laws, but they must be subordinate to public safety.  As such, hospital administrators must be especially vigilant, and it appears that they were grossly negligant in this case.

Occam

Posted: 18 October 2009 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2008-08-14

Yes it was positively found that the hospital didn’t report the instance. They are trying to Fight The California Health System fines which they incurred. Frankly, if I was a Lawyer out there, I’d be contacting and correlating all the people who have received CAT scans there for the past 10 years. These Hospital whackos(of which there have been many cases documented) usually carry-on their heinous activity for years until they are finally caught.

Signature 

Posted: 18 October 2009 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15370
Joined  2006-02-14
Occam - 18 October 2009 01:20 PM

While Vyazma was rather strong in his reply, I have to agree with his criticism.  I can understand that, as a doctor, Macgyver would feel some need to protect those in his industry.  However, this wasn’t a case of an improper procedure; that was just the outcome.  The problem was that of defective management oversight, and that’s not something that should be excused, no matter whether it’s in the financial, educational, transportation, or medical field. 

In addition, the level of oversight should be related to the likelihood and severity of damage to the customer.  For example, it’s probably less dangerous if the library district doesn’t do an excellent job of monitoring the mental health of kid shelving the books.  Of course there are antidiscrimination laws, but they must be subordinate to public safety.  As such, hospital administrators must be especially vigilant, and it appears that they were grossly negligant in this case.

I can’t speak for him, but I don’t imagine macgyver need disagree with any of this. Vyazma’s tone was unnecessary.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 18 October 2009 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2008-08-14

I felt I was being patronized. My thread is being hijacked by people who want to stray from a human interest story into one in which I get pigeonholed for “Hospital Bashing”.

Signature 

1 of 3