Poll
Is Islam a religion that endorses killing infidels?
Yes 2
No 0
I’m not sure need more evidence 1
No Opinion 0
Total Votes: 3
You must be a logged-in member to vote
A Catechism from Saudi Arabia - What do you Think?
Posted: 23 May 2006 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  363
Joined  2006-02-23

[size=18:7ee9b14fc5][color=darkblue:7ee9b14fc5]I was sent this by a man whose judgment I trust. However it might not be accurate, we all can be fooled. If it is an accurate statement of the training in Islam given students at the schools of Wahabism in Saudi Arabia those who urge the position that Islam is a loving caring religion are totally off base.[/color:7ee9b14fc5][/size:7ee9b14fc5]

[quote:7ee9b14fc5]  The passages below—drawn from the same set of Saudi texts proudly cited in the new 74-page review of curriculum reform now being distributed by the Saudi Embassy—are shaping the views of the next generation of Saudis and Muslims worldwide. Unchanged, they will only harden and deepen hatred, intolerance and violence toward other faiths and cultures. Is this what Riyadh calls reform?

FIRST GRADE

" Every religion other than Islam is false."

"Fill in the blanks with the appropriate words (Islam, hellfire): Every religion other than ______________ is false. Whoever dies outside of Islam enters ____________."

FOURTH GRADE

"True belief means . . . that you hate the polytheists and infidels but do not treat them unjustly."

FIFTH GRADE

"Whoever obeys the Prophet and accepts the oneness of God cannot maintain a loyal friendship with those who oppose God and His Prophet, even if they are his closest relatives."

"It is forbidden for a Muslim to be a loyal friend to someone who does not believe in God and His Prophet, or someone who fights the religion of Islam."

"A Muslim, even if he lives far away, is your brother in religion. Someone who opposes God, even if he is your brother by family tie, is your enemy in religion."

SIXTH GRADE

"Just as Muslims were successful in the past when they came together in a sincere endeavor to evict the Christian crusaders from Palestine, so will the Arabs and Muslims emerge victorious, God willing, against the Jews and their allies if they stand together and fight a true jihad for God, for this is within God’s power."

EIGHTH GRADE

"As cited in Ibn Abbas: The apes are Jews, the people of the Sabbath; while the swine are the Christians, the infidels of the communion of Jesus."

"God told His Prophet, Muhammad, about the Jews, who learned from parts of God’s book [the Torah and the Gospels] that God alone is worthy of worship. Despite this, they espouse falsehood through idol-worship, soothsaying, and sorcery. In doing so, they obey the devil. They prefer the people of falsehood to the people of the truth out of envy and hostility. This earns them condemnation and is a warning to us not to do as they did."

"They are the Jews, whom God has cursed and with whom He is so angry that He will never again be satisfied [with them]."

"Some of the people of the Sabbath were punished by being turned into apes and swine. Some of them were made to worship the devil, and not God, through consecration, sacrifice, prayer, appeals for help, and other types of worship. Some of the Jews worship the devil. Likewise, some members of this nation worship the devil, and not God."

"Activity: The student writes a composition on the danger of imitating the infidels."

NINTH GRADE

"The clash between this [Muslim] community (umma) and the Jews and Christians has endured, and it will continue as long as God wills."

"It is part of God’s wisdom that the struggle between the Muslim and the Jews should continue until the hour [of judgment]."

"Muslims will triumph because they are right. He who is right is always victorious, even if most people are against him."

TENTH GRADE

The 10th-grade text on jurisprudence teaches that life for non-Muslims (as well as women, and, by implication, slaves) is worth a fraction of that of a "free Muslim male." Blood money is retribution paid to the victim or the victim’s heirs for murder or injury:

"Blood money for a free infidel. [Its quantity] is half of the blood money for a male Muslim, whether or not he is ‘of the book’ or not ‘of the book’ (such as a pagan, Zoroastrian, etc.).

"Blood money for a woman: Half of the blood money for a man, in accordance with his religion. The blood money for a Muslim woman is half of the blood money for a male Muslim, and the blood money for an infidel woman is half of the blood money for a male infidel."

ELEVENTH GRADE

"The greeting ‘Peace be upon you’ is specifically for believers. It cannot be said to others."

"If one comes to a place where there is a mixture of Muslims and infidels, one should offer a greeting intended for the Muslims."

"Do not yield to them [Christians and Jews] on a narrow road out of honor and respect."

TWELFTH GRADE

"Jihad in the path of God—which consists of battling against unbelief, oppression, injustice, and those who perpetrate it—is the summit of Islam. This religion arose through jihad and through jihad was its banner raised high. It is one of the noblest acts, which brings one closer to God, and one of the most magnificent acts of obedience to God."
[/quote:7ee9b14fc5]

Signature 

Jimmie Keyes
Tavernier, FL
http://secularhumanism.meetup.com/1/
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. (MLK Jr.)

Posted: 23 May 2006 09:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2006-05-23

The teachings that are expressed are correct and well known.

However I am concerned that you are pointing a finger exclusively at MUslims or Islam.

Almost all the sentiments expressed have ALSO been expressed by Christians at one time or another. It just happens that we have Islamic theocracies such as Saudi Arabia where an Islamic Sharia based on the Quran and the Hadith (traditions of Prophet Muhammad).

Today there is no Christian Theocracy but I guarantee you if one has to come into existence the laws applied from the Bible and the traditions of Jesus Christ would be just as barbaric as the Islamic Sharia.

Fayzal Mahamed.

PS. I am an atheist.

Signature 

Fayzal Mahamed,
Johannesburg, South Africa.

Posted: 24 May 2006 12:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15344
Joined  2006-02-14

[quote author=“mfmahamed”]The teachings that are expressed are correct and well known.

However I am concerned that you are pointing a finger exclusively at MUslims or Islam.

Almost all the sentiments expressed have ALSO been expressed by Christians at one time or another. It just happens that we have Islamic theocracies such as Saudi Arabia where an Islamic Sharia based on the Quran and the Hadith (traditions of Prophet Muhammad).

Today there is no Christian Theocracy but I guarantee you if one has to come into existence the laws applied from the Bible and the traditions of Jesus Christ would be just as barbaric as the Islamic Sharia.

Fayzal Mahamed.

PS. I am an atheist.

Yes, Fayzal, I think this is a great sentiment to keep in mind. Indeed, during the Middle Ages, not to say the Reformation and Counter-Reformation in Europe, there existed something pretty akin to a Christian Theocracy. Much of it was under the Pope. And we can all remember the Spanish Inquisition (which nobody expects. :wink:).

Recall that in 1492 not only did Columbus cross the ocean blue, but also Ferdinand and Isabella completed their reconquest of Spain and subsequently forced all Muslims and Jews to convert to Catholicism or leave the country. It was a clear example of ethnic cleansing.

And then there were the Crusades ... many of them, over many centuries, bloody, pointless and based on religious and ethnic hatreds. Their repercussions are felt today.

And although the Islamic theocracies are particularly troubling today, I would argue that the nascent theocracy in the US Executive Branch, not to mention the “red states” in the center of the country, are equally troubling. After all, the US has much more power.

BTW, the information you cite was also in an article in the NYTimes today . (I think you need to log in to see the article, and it will only be available for a few days free).

Best,

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 24 May 2006 01:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  363
Joined  2006-02-23

I agree with what mfmahamed says about christian theocracy, and I agree with Doug’s comments too.

My aim in putting this up was to find out whether it’s an accurate depiction of what children learn in islamic schools. Is it an islamic catechism?

I think an answer to that question might be instructive in helping us define the sort of long term problem we have with Islam.

It isn’t Islamic theocracy that’s shooting and bombing and otherwise killing us it’s muslims who are caught up in one or more of the ideological cults of Islam or muslims who are doing it to drive the infidels out of the (here you pick which of several) holy land, homeland etc. or Palestinian muslims who are fighting for a homeland and so on.

The Islamic theocracies are in the main either our “friends” or on the sidelines watching with interest. they are not in any position to officially authorize attacks on US citizens. (See Afghanistan)

I am studying the history of Christianity. Just mentioning the inquisition doesn’t go anywhere near far enough describing the terrible acts the church itself perpetrated upon humanity. No one that I know of (Ibn are you listening?) is accusing the religion, Islam, of authorizing the acts of muslim terrorists.

But placing blame is difficult, because unlike the church during its days of power, there isn’t a central authority that I am aware of in Islam. There are Fatwas but then the fatwas that result in some act of terror are usually decried by some higher authority or more famous mullah after the fact.

To return to the point that both mfmahamed and Doug made, when in power the church did terrible things, the inquisition spread throughout southern Europe. Wherever the church was the official religion awful things were done in it’s name and with its approval! Just a couple of examples, in the inquisition heretics were roasted on the stake, not burned at the stake so they suffered for 8-10 hours over a slow fire. The Franciscans (?) accompanying the explorers to the new world saved Indian babies by baptizing them before braining them on a rock.

The things now happening aren’t being done with official approval unless one can argue that these courses in Islam are a sort of official approval. I think that is a legitimate argument if the teaching is going on in officially approved schools

Jim

Signature 

Jimmie Keyes
Tavernier, FL
http://secularhumanism.meetup.com/1/
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. (MLK Jr.)