2 of 3
Favorite Christian Music
Posted: 21 October 2009 02:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  776
Joined  2009-07-17
VYAZMA - 21 October 2009 02:27 PM

I’m not too into the post Ozzy stuff. Did you see that Rolling Stones Movie.”..something Circus something or other”.
It’s 1968-69. Beggars Banquet Debut, plus other guest bands. Tony Iommi is playing with Jethro Tull. Wielding the Black SG.
Great stuff.

I like the post-Sabbath Ozzy stuff, myself. grin Obviously very different from Sabbath, though. I did (well still do technically) enjoy Randy Rhoades guitar work.

That sounds interesting, I’ll have to look for it. Tony playing for Tull, trippy! I never would have suspected. Maybe he was just sitting in? Since, if memory serves, Sabbath was at its hey-day around then. (And broke up in ‘71?)

Perhaps when I win the lottery, I’ll see if Tony Iommi will be my guitar teacher. cheese

To bring this back on topic, I do enjoy a lot of the traditional Christmas songs/hymns. Other than that I’m not sure I really listen to anything that would be called Christian. (Certainly some bluegrass has religious topics/overtones.)

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 21 October 2009 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14

I don’t know the details. 69 would have been right around the time Sabbath was forming. Jethro Tull was just getting established too.
I think he was just sitting in. Maybe hedging his bets. Don’t know.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 21 October 2009 03:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14
harry canyon - 21 October 2009 02:48 PM

(Certainly some bluegrass has religious topics/overtones.)

More than overtones, much bluegrass is explicitly gospel, and very Christian. I do confess to having a soft spot for simple bluegrass, a cappella or acoustic music. Also, as asanta intimated at the start of this thread, many of the early masses or requiems are gorgeous. Bach’s St. Matthew Passion is amazing, as is his B Minor Mass, Mozart’s Requiem, early polyphonic music by Tallis, Palestrina, Lassus, etc., etc. There’s a lot of fantastic music written on Christian themes. As there is a lot of great architecture in Christian cathedrals. And Islamic mosques, Jewish synagogues, Buddhist and Hindu temples and stupas, etc. On and on with paintings, sculpture ...

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 21 October 2009 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  4811
Joined  2007-10-05

I like The Reverend Horton Heat.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 22 October 2009 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-07-05

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g81yHNuLCFA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQcQWpABjfw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YPDXmEsQtQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb_9uH-ELJE

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 02 November 2009 09:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2009-11-01

I’m new here, but since perusing the forums, I have seen many posts by the OP which appear to be intended simply to start argument, not facilitate intelligent discussion.  What gives?

To answer the question, I find all contemporary Christian music to be musically boring and very, very annoying.

Posted: 02 November 2009 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
ThinkingMom - 02 November 2009 09:04 AM

I’m new here, but since perusing the forums, I have seen many posts by the OP which appear to be intended simply to start argument, not facilitate intelligent discussion.  What gives?

To answer the question, I find all contemporary Christian music to be musically boring and very, very annoying.

OP?

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 02 November 2009 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

OP=Original Poster. In this case, Parture, who was here just to start arguments.

ThinkingMom, the OP of this thread was banned a few days after he appeared here. There are religious zealots out there prowling the Internet spamming forums with their pets idiocies. They tend to last longer here than on other forums because the moderators here are too nice. We should ignore the zealots when they come around, but sometimes it is fun to watch them strain their already thin logic well past the breaking point. Sort of a cat and mouse game we play in these parts.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Posted: 02 November 2009 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  3349
Joined  2007-11-21
ThinkingMom - 02 November 2009 09:04 AM

I share your opinion for *most* “contemporary Christian music.”  The contemporary christian marketplace encourages creativity and quality perhaps even less than the popular music market in general (you know, the one that made Britney Spears and Jessica Simpson rich?).

Leaving aside for the moment the lively debate as to how we define “Christian music,” here are a few examples of outstanding musical artistry by Christians where their Christianity indelibly marks the work:

“Darn Floor Big Bite”—Da (aka DA, Daniel Amos).
“Faith, Hope, Love”—King’s X
“Vinyl Confessions”—Kansas
“The Grape Prophet”—LSU (Life Savers Underground)
“I Predict 1990”—Steve Taylor
“Notes from the Lost Civilization”—Tonio K
“The Seventy Sevens”—The Seventy Sevens (77’s) (very positive review in “Rolling Stone,” btw)
“Chase the Kangaroo”—The Choir
“Audible Sigh”—Vigilantes of Love
“Hammers and Nails”—Mark Heard
“Nothing is Sound”—Switchfoot
“Book of Kells”—Iona

The music business as such does little to encourage artistry (at least as it has traditionally been structured), and it doesn’t much matter what audience is targeted.

Posted: 02 November 2009 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22
fotobits - 02 November 2009 10:12 AM

They tend to last longer here than on other forums because the moderators here are too nice.

I’m crushed.  Here I’d been working so hard to be the obnoxious, crotchety old fud, and fotobits includes me in the group of those who are “too nice”.  I guess I’ll just have to work harder at being an S.O.B.  LOL

And, yes, ThinkingMom, it’s a tough call between trying to allow a wide variety of opinions and avoiding unnecessary censorship but getting rid of someone who is here and posting just for disruption.

Occam

Posted: 10 December 2009 03:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2009-12-10
Icatfishman - 20 October 2009 10:50 AM

Basically, Black Sabbath just goes down!

Excellent!

Posted: 10 December 2009 07:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Well, since the tread has now been “reactivated” I’ll add my favourite Christian music: Christmas music.

Posted: 10 December 2009 08:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2009-12-10

I actually like Pagan stuff. Ranging from The Moon and the Nightspirit to Týr.

Posted: 11 December 2009 04:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2009-11-03

In spite of my views regarding the story of Jesus and the Virgin Mary, I really enjoy classical Christmas music, along with Jazz and Blues Christmas music.

My husband and younger son are serious bagpipers, so maybe some would say I would listen to anything smile

Posted: 11 December 2009 05:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
AG - 11 December 2009 04:30 AM

In spite of my views regarding the story of Jesus and the Virgin Mary, I really enjoy classical Christmas music, along with Jazz and Blues Christmas music.

My husband and younger son are serious bagpipers, so maybe some would say I would listen to anything smile

I’ve always kinda considered bagpipe music just noise, and mostly ignored it. Two weeks ago Saturday I was lying on the living room couch reading a book when I thought I heard bagpipes outside. Curious, i wnet out to the front porch and saw a man strolling on the sidewalk playing bagpipes. The sound of the music echoing among the houses was beautiful. I stood out there for about one minute until the man was out of sight and the sound was fading. Those few seconds changed my mind about bagpipes.

Maybe I’m just getting old. I’m even developing a taste for accordions. gulp

Signature 

2 of 3