3 of 3
Favorite Christian Music
Posted: 11 December 2009 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

I’ve always loved bagpipe music, and I assume it’s like so many other things that happen by very early conditioning.  My mother told the story of a bagpiper coming by in the first few months of 1931.  I, at about four months old, was being very fussy.  As soon as he began to play, I stopped crying, calmed down and fell asleep.  Since this was in the midst of the depression, she gave him a meal for his playing.  It’s a good thing he wasn’t an itinerant minister or lecturing conservative politician, or I’d be a fundamentalist or a neocon.  Or, on the other side (George’s), maybe I happened to have been born with a gene for appreciation of bagpipes.  LOL

Occam

Posted: 11 December 2009 07:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15355
Joined  2006-02-14

When I was at university, if our neighbors were playing very loud music on a weekend night, one of my suite-mates used to put on a record of bagpipe marching band music, and crank the stereo up to full volume. We also had a big subwoofer.

I think you could hear it clear across the quad.

Needless to say, our neighbors tended not to blast loud music very late at night. OTOH, I kinda enjoyed the bagpipes, myself.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 11 December 2009 08:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
Occam - 11 December 2009 05:55 PM

Or, on the other side (George’s), maybe I happened to have been born with a gene for appreciation of bagpipes.  LOL

Neah, I am done with that. After listening to Barry (remember Barry?) today interviewing Chomsky (HERE), I suddenly realized I am only wasting my time. I think I am going back to the novels.

Posted: 12 December 2009 05:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2009-11-03

The sound of the music echoing among the houses was beautiful. I stood out there for about one minute until the man was out of sight and the sound was fading. Those few seconds changed my mind about bagpipes.

Nice.  The bagpipes played well (and preferably outside) can be quite moving.

Posted: 13 December 2009 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  66
Joined  2007-08-11

I love bagpipes, though my mother, growing up in England told me she had a neighbor that would open his windows at a rediculous time of the morning and begin playing… she’s not a big fan of it as a rule.

As for Christian music:

16 Horsepower “Sackcloth & Ashes” - in my top x albums list
Gavin Bryers “Jesus Blood Never Failed Me Yet” - incredible, haunting, disturbing
whenever Tom Waits covers an old Hymn or Jesusy tune

Signature 

“Our world was brutal, immoral, smug and conventional. We had unbounded contempt for all those who did not sin as we sinned.” Jim Tully Circus Parade

“Books are not absolutely dead things, but do contain a potency of life in them to be as active as that soul whose progeny they are; nay they do preserve as in a vial the purest efficacy and extraction of that living intellect that bred them.” - John Milton Aeropagitca

Posted: 13 January 2010 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  158
Joined  2010-01-03

As for Christian music, I like Low (a Mormon band - loosely Christian) and the Danielson Famile.  They both fall under the Indie category.  I think Eva O was also Christian (ex-Christian Death).

Signature 

I live in a world of lighthouses. However, my friends are living in sunny tranquility.

3 of 3