Posted: 30 January 2010 08:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  352
Joined  2008-04-24
Martinus - 30 January 2010 08:38 PM
Martinus - 30 January 2010 08:21 PM

Yes.

You prefer lobbyists & the Pentagon?

Nope.  The UN is a bloated agency that has done nothing to save lives, nor improve them, on the whole.

Interesting that an agency with less funding than the fire dept. of NYC, <2% of arms spending, is “bloated”.

The only thing that the Pentagon should do, is protect us from foreign invaders and those that attack us, which is the constitutional requirement of the executive branch.

Have you ever considered that invading countries, and gunboat diplomacy might draw some animosity? Have you? Can you?

The UN should be defunded by the US, moved out of our Nation and never heard from again.

In my recent eBook (The Humanist) the UN becomes fully funded via a shift of military spending on the globe toward its collective care. Nuke nations are boycotted - successfully. The US Navy is towed to Singapore, the vibrant new HQ of the UN, where the Nimitz becomes the UNS Nightingale, a helicopter/hospital ship.

We could have used her in Haiti. Won’t happen until 2017, though, in the meantime support the UNPA (UN Parliament movement).

What has the UN done for Haiti?  Or for Darfur?  What purpose does it serve?

Signature 

Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick (Democrat):

“It’s a free country; I wish it weren’t, but it’s a free country.” when speaking of a rally on the Capitol.

Posted: 31 January 2010 08:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  1742
Joined  2007-10-22

We lived as eagles just one millenium ago. Now we are collecting like ants.

Really?  The average life span was 30 years or less, disease was rampant,  food supply unreliable, most were illiterate, no cenral heat, no flush toilets, no gas stoves, no electric lights, no news media, movies or internet.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 31 January 2010 09:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  219
Joined  2007-05-20

Dwight/Martinus sed:We lived as eagles just one millenium ago. Now we are collecting like ants, building concrete hives that leach like bowel cancers into the rich river deltas. The only way you can make an eagle do that is with drugs.

garythehuman - 31 January 2010 08:55 PM

Really?  The average life span was 30 years or less, disease was rampant,  food supply unreliable, most were illiterate, no cenral heat, no flush toilets, no gas stoves, no electric lights, no news media, movies or internet.

The years of being fed anally shouldn’t count in your lifespan. Consider my definition of ecstasy: Pure sensation celebrated within the warm bosom of mystery. Works for any sentient being, plants and all. Don’t agree? Define Life then - think fast..

Your toilet isn’t everything, and even that just went from 13 gal down to 6 gal, like my stocks. It’s time for cash and fresh air to have their day in the sun…

Signature 

Dwight Jones
http://www.humanism.ws
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

“Our lives teach us who we are.”
-Salman Rushdie

Posted: 04 February 2010 11:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2009-09-22

Wow, I have not been on in quite awhile, I didn’t realize I got so many responses smile I have enjoyed reading all of them.

I have been considering the matter. It seems the disaster scenario is the first many people jump to, and validly enough, I imagine that would be the fastest road. Of course in the aftermath I’m not sure comraderie would continue. Overall though I find this to be a dishearting thought that mankind can only unite under immenant threat of extinction. Aside from the fact that any disaster would also mean more suffering for people.

I prefer to believe that diplomacy is possible, no matter how unlikely. I think my thoughts on the matter follow somewhat along the lines of Martinus’ comments. I think the UN would play a vital role in any such occasion of coming together. I like the inclusive humanism idea. it sounds lovely. While I have a distaste for religious institutions as a whole I would not have a desire to take away anyones beliefs. The strength of the species is in its adaptibility through variety. I like arguments and disagreements and such but as a whole we need to learn to keep it civil. if we could talk about our various faiths and cultures in a courteous manner instead of letting them divide us that would be the key to our salvation.

My thoughts are that the only way for my proposed scenario to take place is less through an event and more through mindset. It should be forefront in all our minds that the good of the species is what is most important. not the good of America, not the good of Beijing, not the good of the Christians, not the good of the Muslims, not The good of the secular nation, not the good of the Dodgers, and not anything really that represents a subset of humankind. We are one by rule of nature. as the only advanced sapient species on the planet we need to accept that nobody is going to look out for us but us. and on that thought we should take a more pronounced ownership of this planet(and galaxy?) and what we do to it and each other. If we could, by majority, work for common goals of survival, advancement and knowledge I do not think there is a limit to what we could do with time.

I’m thinking a more friendly competition era would be appropriate. much as the space race created a large leap in technology in short period of time, we could hold competition between groups/companies, private or govt, from different nations that want to participate. first to develop the most relevant/safe/useful form of whatever technology is in question gets a reward. perhaps a pot that all contribute to, or the interests of investors who participate or, depending on the product, a year of sole global sales rights. in this way humans can still adhere to the team mentality that is so harshly ingrained in us and enjoy the ups and downs of competition on a global scale AND all at once be contributing something to the entire species.

Signature 

“The only thing worse than a blind follower is a seeing denier.”

-Neil Degrasse Tyson

Posted: 04 February 2010 11:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  441
Joined  2009-12-17
AndyLeveledUp - 22 October 2009 03:29 PM

Everyday I, as I’m sure many do, find myself pondering the future of our species.

Mmmm… I can’t say I do .....  confused

So I have two questions that I think are at least interesting talking points:

1) Where do you think we would be technology-wise if not for the retarding factors I mentioned above?

Probably still living at the level of the middle ages I would think. It is the conflict, competition and struggle to get on top that has driven our technology advances.

2) What will (or more realistically ‘would’) it take for Humankind to uniformly work together?

A frontal lobotomy. All working together in some kind of ‘let’s all love each other’ would be the end of humanity and the start of some kind of sad Stepford Wives vision.

Posted: 04 February 2010 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2007-05-20

Andy said:
“I’m thinking a more friendly competition era would be appropriate. much as the space race created a large leap in technology in short period of time, we could hold competition between groups/companies, private or govt, from different nations that want to participate. first to develop the most relevant/safe/useful form of whatever technology is in question gets a reward. perhaps a pot that all contribute to, or the interests of investors who participate or, depending on the product, a year of sole global sales rights. in this way humans can still adhere to the team mentality that is so harshly ingrained in us and enjoy the ups and downs of competition on a global scale AND all at once be contributing something to the entire species.”

Great mimes dream alike.
I discuss a project of this nature on my blogsite http://examiner.ws/?p=620 , in which (SF writer Charlie Stross) points out that the universe is so distant from us that we should consider it wallpaper for some generations, and from there I suggest a focus on Venus.

Did you know that at the top of the dense Venusian atmosphere the temperature and pressure are the same as on Earth? Ergo huge city dirigibles could be floated by people in shirtsleeves, competitively if need be, like battleships in WWII.

The goal would be to gradually colonize Venus as the virgin tropical planet that it someday shall be for us.

Stop giggling, pass it back, and work with me on this ...

[ Edited: 04 February 2010 12:00 PM by Martinus ]
 Signature 

Dwight Jones

-Salman Rushdie

Posted: 04 February 2010 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2009-09-22
Martinus - 04 February 2010 11:56 AM

Andy said:
“I’m thinking a more friendly competition era would be appropriate. much as the space race created a large leap in technology in short period of time, we could hold competition between groups/companies, private or govt, from different nations that want to participate. first to develop the most relevant/safe/useful form of whatever technology is in question gets a reward. perhaps a pot that all contribute to, or the interests of investors who participate or, depending on the product, a year of sole global sales rights. in this way humans can still adhere to the team mentality that is so harshly ingrained in us and enjoy the ups and downs of competition on a global scale AND all at once be contributing something to the entire species.”

Great mimes dream alike.
I discuss a project of this nature on my blogsite http://examiner.ws/?p=620 , in which (SF writer Charlie Stross) points out that the universe is so distant from us that we should consider it wallpaper for some generations, and from there I suggest a focus on Venus.

Did you know that at the top of the dense Venusian atmosphere the temperature and pressure are the same as on Earth? Ergo huge city dirigibles could be floated by people in shirtsleeves, competitively if need be, like battleships in WWII.

The goal would be to gradually colonize Venus as the virgin tropical planet that it someday shall be for us.

Stop giggling, pass it back, and work with me on this ...

Ah! I saw you mentioned that project earlier, but thought it was an off the cuff example. I haven’t read the link, I’ll say more when I do, but if what you’re saying is true than that is a very interesting project smile I like the dirigible idea. but even if temperature and pressure are the same we must concern ourselves with staying afloat and with the makeup of the atmosphere. though I suppose lack of oxygen is a concern in any space travel so that doesnt really matter. Where do we sign up? haha

Signature 

“The only thing worse than a blind follower is a seeing denier.”

-Neil Degrasse Tyson

Posted: 04 February 2010 01:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2007-05-20

Ah! I saw you mentioned that project earlier, but thought it was an off the cuff example. I haven’t read the link, I’ll say more when I do, but if what you’re saying is true than that is a very interesting project smile I like the dirigible idea. but even if temperature and pressure are the same we must concern ourselves with staying afloat and with the makeup of the atmosphere. though I suppose lack of oxygen is a concern in any space travel so that doesnt really matter. Where do we sign up? haha

It’s very reputable NASA science, referenced in the article. Based on the happy idea that our atmpsohere is a lifting gas in Venus CO2 clouds (wherein there is plenty of oxygen, ultimately).

In The Humanist (free download coupon on my site at humanist.ws) I propose that our species get settled down with ourselves and the UN for 1000 years, to rehab our planet and acquire Venus, and to forestall the Singularity’s implications. It also proposes that we look after our own DNA, Jesuit-like, toward future lifetimes.

Signature 

Dwight Jones

-Salman Rushdie

Posted: 04 February 2010 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2007-05-20
scepticeye - 04 February 2010 11:49 AM

2) What will (or more realistically ‘would’) it take for Humankind to uniformly work together?

A frontal lobotomy. All working together in some kind of ‘let’s all love each other’ would be the end of humanity and the start of some kind of sad Stepford Wives vision.

So THAT’s where sceptics come from.
Destroys the imagination as well, I gather?

Signature 

Dwight Jones

-Salman Rushdie

Posted: 07 February 2010 11:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  1742
Joined  2007-10-22

I can’t help but wonder what a unified species could accomplish. What humankind, sans all the dividing stigmas of nationality, religion and the like, could really accomplish. We are such a supremely social creature, and yet vast groups of us can’t seem to look at the greater good of the species as a whole.

I don’t know, much would depend on how this society was organized.  If it organized as a dictatorship or a society with a relatively small elitie in control, it may attempt to stop change altogether, as the humans in control would see most of the changes as a threat to their power to control society, even more so with an ideology based upon the unification of the whole species.  If it organized on some type of democratic basis, without any outside threats, it may spin apart altogether as differnt groups pusrue their own intrests and ideas of what is best for society.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 07 February 2010 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2007-05-20
garythehuman - 07 February 2010 11:44 AM

I can’t help but wonder what a unified species could accomplish. What humankind, sans all the dividing stigmas of nationality, religion and the like, could really accomplish. We are such a supremely social creature, and yet vast groups of us can’t seem to look at the greater good of the species as a whole.

I don’t know, much would depend on how this society was organized.  If it organized as a dictatorship or a society with a relatively small elitie in control, it may attempt to stop change altogether, as the humans in control would see most of the changes as a threat to their power to control society, even more so with an ideology based upon the unification of the whole species.

Agreed, here is a perfect example of militarists trying to do exactly that, to undermine the UN (from today on Reuters).
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6160GW20100207

Signature 

Dwight Jones

-Salman Rushdie

Posted: 24 June 2010 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  152
Joined  2010-05-27

The only thing humans are good at doing in unison is being complacent.

2 of 2