New kid from Chicago
Posted: 08 November 2009 11:05 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-11-08

Hey all,

Greetings from Chicago.  This is my first post, but I’ve been lurking for a while, and so far I like what I see. 

I have been agnostic for many years and have no conflicts about my opinions.  I was raised Catholic and turned skeptical in college (actually started in high school, but didn’t really kick in til college).  Now almost 60, I am so accustomed to this way of thinking and living that I can hardly remember what it was like to “believe”.

I have some very strong feelings about where humanity is, and needs to be, heading.  I tend to be direct and to the point, and I know that I can be quite opinionated.  But I will always strive to be cordial and courteous in my postings.

I come here after considerable deliberation and reflection, not simply to engage in dialogue, but to work toward the common goal of moving humanity into the next age of reason.  Hence my tag phase3.

For me, phase1 was when humans became conscious of self and began to formulate rules for behavior; when we looked up to the sky and into the earth for beings greater than ourselves.

Phase2 was when we discovered the joy of counterintuitive behavior that is at the heart of all the major religions. Like, to give is better than to recieve; the meek shall inherit; treat others as you would be treated; forgiveness is stronger than revenge; etc.

I see phase3 being now.  And here.  This is where we will throw off the shackles of rigid dogma and take the essence of all moral teachings in their purest, energetic sense.  Without need for myth, gods, heaven, hell or divine micromanaging, we can evolve into the transcendent beings we are, inevitably, becoming.

I have SO much to say, but I also have much listening to do.

For now, let this be my introduction to you.  Thank you for being here before me.  Thank you for creating this community where evolved thinking can flourish.  Thank you for reading this.

And so we go…

Phase3

[ Edited: 08 November 2009 11:08 PM by phase3 ]
 Signature 

phase3

Facts are all around us.  You can follow them anywhere.

Posted: 09 November 2009 05:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15356
Joined  2006-02-14

Welcome to the CFI forum, phase3. Glad you found us.

Cheers,

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 09 November 2009 05:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  7547
Joined  2007-03-02

Welcome Phase3.  Glad to have you here.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 09 November 2009 11:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  1783
Joined  2008-08-09

Sixty and from Chicago,
ever visit River View Park?
ever hear of Tabor Lutheran Church/School?

I left at 13 in 68,
grateful to have gotten out then,
but also grateful for what I was able to experience & learn there.
(My parents were big into museums and concerts, etc.)

~ ~ ~ ~

There were many years I believed in something similar to your three phases,
but in truth the past decade has dissuaded me from such optimistic notions.

How do you digest the consistently disappointing choices made by our leaders, and followers?

phase3 - 08 November 2009 11:05 PM

I see phase3 being now.  And here.  This is where we will throw off the shackles of rigid dogma and take the essence of all moral teachings in their purest, energetic sense.  Without need for myth, gods, heaven, hell or divine micromanaging, we can evolve into the transcendent beings we are, inevitably, becoming.

How do you see this happening?

Welcome aboard

Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus is not formed by scientists !
The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 17 November 2009 10:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  113
Joined  2009-10-17

Hi This is my first post on this forum, so I am also a new guy, and I live one block from the City of Chicago, and I have been a member of the CFI Chicago for a few years, so I am also a new Kid from Chicago.

Anyway, I see Phase 3 as something that started with The Enlightenment a few hundred years ago.  I see it very much alive in some countries, but I see it being challenged in this one a lot lately. 
Some ideas take a long time to catch on.  About how many centuries passed between the time when people started calling slavery a crime and when it was finally made illegal in this country?  (I understand that it was still legal in Kuwait in the 1960’s.).  So, Phase 3 has been taking place for a long time, and if we can help it, it will continue. 

The ideas that started in The Enlightenment must continue, and in this country, it seems that the responsibility of preserving, and a helping them progress has been left to us - the Secular Humanists.  Right now, it seems that The Enlightenment has been almost erased from history.  The other day, Sunday, at a meeting of CFI Chicago, I mentioned that the history teaching professionals who are aware of the Enlightenment must either be an insignificant minority, or a silent majority who should end their silence now.  One of the moderators got excited, loudly agreed with me, and said something to the effect that it has been way too long since anyone has mentioned The Enlightenment.  I will go into this more in another post.

Anyway, Phase3, were you at the CFI Chicago meeting the other day?  Good turnout.  I should start bringing treats.-

[ Edited: 18 November 2009 06:47 AM by Tradition Of Progress ]
 Signature 

I Don’t Want My Country Back, I Want My Country Forward

Posted: 18 November 2009 03:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2009-11-03

Welcome Phase 3, the person & the concept.

Posted: 19 November 2009 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2009-11-11

Welcome to Phase 3 and to Traditiion of Progress.  It seems that this forum grows a little bit each day.  That is a good sign that perhaps the third phase really is upon us.  We know that humans can evolve.  Let us hope that we are evolving into a more reasing and thoughful being than we have been in the past.

Signature 

Frederick Green
~A pair of facts beats a full house of myths every time.