New Guy - Not so New
Posted: 14 November 2009 05:38 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2009-11-11

Greetings to my fellow skeptics and freethinkers.

My name is Frederick Green but you probably can see that by my screen name.  I have been an atheist for as long as I can remember but, to be honest, my general skepticism did not bloom until I was well into my 20s.  There was a time when I explored parapsychology and read books about the Bermuda Triangle but I am feeling much better now, thank you.  I am now well into my 40s with two young and amazing kids - Both in the talented & gifted program (that is the full extent of my bragging, I promise).

I was active in the skeptic and freethough community during the late 90s but drifted away for several years.  Now I am back.  With a background in electronic communications and IT my professional credentials may not match up well against others in the community.  My strength lies in my ability to take a complex subject and explain it in clear, easy to understand terms to my freinds, relatives, and coworkers.  Sadly I find more and more that I must explain to people the very basics of the scientific method - Something which one once had to grasp in order to graduate from high school.

Looking forward to many lively discussions.  I rarely if ever use ‘smileys’ or ‘emoticons’ relying instead on my grand eloquence.  We’ll see how well that goes.

P.S. - Thank you to whomever installed the spelling checker on this forum.

Frederick Green
~A pair of facts beats a full house of myths every time.

Signature 

Frederick Green

Posted: 14 November 2009 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15395
Joined  2006-02-14

Welcome to the CFI Forum, Frederick, glad to have you here. We have several people in various parts of IT who frequent the site, so I think you will find your background is just fine here. Electronic communications sounds very interesting as well.

Cheers,

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 14 November 2009 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Welcome, Frederick. smile  I’m happy that you discarded such things as parapsychology.  tongue rolleye Your description of your ability will complement some of our members who have great skill at explaining very simple subjects at great length and in very complex ways. LOL  I can certainly understand your annoyance with smileys vampire  They bother me, too.  Unfortunately, there isn’t one here for wise-ass that I could append to my name. 

Occam

Posted: 14 November 2009 08:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam - 14 November 2009 03:49 PM

Welcome, Frederick. smile  I’m happy that you discarded such things as parapsychology.  tongue rolleye Your description of your ability will complement some of our members who have great skill at explaining very simple subjects at great length and in very complex ways. LOL  I can certainly understand your annoyance with smileys vampire  They bother me, too.  Unfortunately, there isn’t one here for wise-ass that I could append to my name. 

Occam

LOL  LOL  LOL They are, however, useful for those of us who cannot get our point across in quite so elegant a manner!
Oops, my punctuation suffers when I am sleepy!!

[ Edited: 15 November 2009 11:29 AM by asanta ]
 Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 14 November 2009 11:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  7593
Joined  2007-03-02

Welcome Fredrick.  Glad to have you here.  smile

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 15 November 2009 08:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2009-11-11

Thanks to all for the warm welcome.  It is apparent that I had better get accustomed to two things.

1.  Seeing lots of smileys.
2.  Getting called out for every not-so-elloquent statement that I make (and there will be many).

Perahps if I had stayed with my parapsychology studies I would have seen this coming.  I recall taking such classes at a community college.  Do accredited universities still offer classes in such nonsense?

Signature 

Frederick Green

Posted: 15 November 2009 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15395
Joined  2006-02-14
Frederick Green - 15 November 2009 08:00 AM

Do accredited universities still offer classes in such nonsense?

Not to my knowledge, although I’m sure there are still some exceptions somewhere!

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 15 November 2009 06:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

No Frederick, we don’t use too many smileys, but since I’m a wise-ass, I couldn’t help responding as I did.  At this point I could append a laughing smiley, however, in deference to you as a new poster, I shall not.  (But, wait until you’re around for a while, and we can let our hair down.  {another smiling smiley would go here.})

Occam