No its their fight not ours 0
Total Votes: 4
You must be a logged-in member to vote
The Battle for the Youth of America - In American Churches
Posted: 31 May 2006 04:08 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  363
Joined  2006-02-23

[size=18:80f69ea16b][color=darkblue:80f69ea16b]The story that follows is about a [b:80f69ea16b]computer game[/b:80f69ea16b], a game in which Christians get points for killing atheists, and muslims, and Jews and other Christians who don’t believe as they do. It was designed with funds supplied by wealthy dominionist churchmen. [b:80f69ea16b]TO BE
RELEASED THIS CHRISTMAS!![/b:80f69ea16b]

What follows is the introductory section of an essay published on a liberal mainline Christian website, http://www.talk2action.org. Talk 2 Action is a part of an overall organization that includes the State of Belief radio show on Air America on Sundays.

I think the story tends to prove the power and funding of the religious right is without limit. Their goals are clear, they aim to modify the constitution so the ¤word of godË is the foundation of U S law. They understand that the organization that controls education is the organization that ultimately gains ascendancy in a democracy.

The website where you can find the ¤rest of the StoryË is Talk To Action Dominionist Video Game but this ought to be enough to start the discussion.

Jim
[/color:80f69ea16b][/size:80f69ea16b]
[quote:80f69ea16b]Dominionist Video Game set for Christmas Release in 2006
Imagine: you are a foot soldier in a paramilitary group whose purpose is to remake America as a Christian theocracy, and establish its worldly vision of the dominion of Christ over all aspects of life. You are issued high-tech military weaponry, and instructed to engage the infidel on the streets of New York City. You are on a mission - both a religious mission and a military mission—to convert or kill Catholics, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, gays, and anyone who advocates the separation of church and state - especially moderate, mainstream Christians. Your mission is "to conduct physical and spiritual warfare"; all who resist must be taken out with extreme prejudice. You have never felt so powerful, so driven by a purpose: you are 13 years old. You are playing a real-time strategy video game whose creators are linked to the empire of mega-church pastor Rick Warren, best selling author of The Purpose Driven Life. The game, slated for release by October 2006 in advance of the Christmas shopping rush, has been previewed at video game exhibitions, and reviewed by major newspapers and magazines. But until now, no fan or critic has pointed out the controversial game’s connection to Mr. Warren or his dominionist agenda.
topic: Religious Militarism section:Dominionism in the military  
Time magazine has described Mr. Warren as one of the nation’s most influential Evangelical Christian leaders. He describes himself as a "stealth evangelist" and describes his training programs as "a stealth movement, that’s flying beneath the radar, that’s changing literally hundreds, even thousands of churches around the world." He claims that he has sold tens of millions of copies of The Purpose Driven Life by developing a worldwide network of pastors.
The international director of Mr. Warren’s Purpose Driven Church, Mark Carver, is a former investment banker who serves on the Advisory Board of the corporation created in October 2001 to develop and market this game. The creators plan to market their game using the same network marketing techniques that Mr. Warren used to turn The Purpose Driven Life into a commercial success. For example, they plan to distribute their merchandise through pastoral networks, especially mega-churches.
This game immerses children in present-day New York City—500 square blocks, stretching from Wall Street to Chinatown, Greenwich Village, the United Nations headquarters, and Harlem. The game rewards children for how effectively they role play the killing of those who resist becoming a born again Christian. The game also offers players the opportunity to switch sides and fight for the army of the Anti-Christ, releasing cloven-hoofed demons who feast on conservative Christians and their panicked proselytes (who taste a lot like Christian).
Is this paramilitary mission simulator for children anything other than prejudice and bigotry using religion as an organizing tool to get people in a violent frame of mind? The dialogue includes people saying, "Praise the Lord," as they blow infidels away.
The designers intend this game to become the first dominionist warrior game to break through in the popular culture due to its violent scenarios and realistic graphics, lighting, and sound effects. Its creators expect it to earn a rating of T for Teen. How violent is that? That’s the rating shared by Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell - Chaos Theory, a top selling game in which high-tech gadgets and high-powered weapons - frag grenades, shotguns, assault rifles, and submachine guns—are used to terminate enemies with extreme prejudice.
Could such a violent, dominionist Christian video game really break through to the popular culture? Well, it is based on a series of books that have already set sales records - the blockbuster Left Behind series of 14 novels by writer Jerry B. Jenkins and his visionary collaborator, retired Southern Baptist minister Tim LaHaye. "We hope teenagers like the game," Mr. LaHaye told the Los Angeles Times. "Our real goal is to have no one left behind.
[/quote:80f69ea16b]

Signature 

Jimmie Keyes
Tavernier, FL
http://secularhumanism.meetup.com/1/
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. (MLK Jr.)

Posted: 31 May 2006 04:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Joined  2006-02-23

The Battle for the Youth of America - In American Churches

The story that follows is about a computer game, a game in which Christians get points for killing atheists, and muslims, and Jews and other Christians who don’t believe as they do. It was designed with funds supplied by wealthy dominionist churchmen. TO BE
RELEASED THIS CHRISTMAS!!

What follows is the introductory section of an essay published on a liberal mainline Christian website, http://www.talk2action.org. Talk 2 Action is a part of an overall organization that includes the State of Belief radio show on Air America on Sundays.

I think the story tends to prove the power and funding of the religious right is without limit. Their goals are clear, they aim to modify the constitution so the “word of god” is the foundation of U S law. They understand that the organization that controls education is the organization that ultimately gains ascendancy in a democracy.

The website where you can find the “rest of the Story” is Talk To Action Dominionist Video Game but this ought to be enough to start the discussion.

Jim

Dominionist Video Game set for Christmas Release in 2006
Imagine: you are a foot soldier in a paramilitary group whose purpose is to remake America as a Christian theocracy, and establish its worldly vision of the dominion of Christ over all aspects of life. You are issued high-tech military weaponry, and instructed to engage the infidel on the streets of New York City. You are on a mission - both a religious mission and a military mission—to convert or kill Catholics, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, gays, and anyone who advocates the separation of church and state - especially moderate, mainstream Christians. Your mission is “to conduct physical and spiritual warfare”; all who resist must be taken out with extreme prejudice. You have never felt so powerful, so driven by a purpose: you are 13 years old. You are playing a real-time strategy video game whose creators are linked to the empire of mega-church pastor Rick Warren, best selling author of The Purpose Driven Life. The game, slated for release by October 2006 in advance of the Christmas shopping rush, has been previewed at video game exhibitions, and reviewed by major newspapers and magazines. But until now, no fan or critic has pointed out the controversial game’s connection to Mr. Warren or his dominionist agenda.
topic: Religious Militarism section:Dominionism in the military  
Time magazine has described Mr. Warren as one of the nation’s most influential Evangelical Christian leaders. He describes himself as a “stealth evangelist” and describes his training programs as “a stealth movement, that’s flying beneath the radar, that’s changing literally hundreds, even thousands of churches around the world.” He claims that he has sold tens of millions of copies of The Purpose Driven Life by developing a worldwide network of pastors.
The international director of Mr. Warren’s Purpose Driven Church, Mark Carver, is a former investment banker who serves on the Advisory Board of the corporation created in October 2001 to develop and market this game. The creators plan to market their game using the same network marketing techniques that Mr. Warren used to turn The Purpose Driven Life into a commercial success. For example, they plan to distribute their merchandise through pastoral networks, especially mega-churches.
This game immerses children in present-day New York City—500 square blocks, stretching from Wall Street to Chinatown, Greenwich Village, the United Nations headquarters, and Harlem. The game rewards children for how effectively they role play the killing of those who resist becoming a born again Christian. The game also offers players the opportunity to switch sides and fight for the army of the Anti-Christ, releasing cloven-hoofed demons who feast on conservative Christians and their panicked proselytes (who taste a lot like Christian).
Is this paramilitary mission simulator for children anything other than prejudice and bigotry using religion as an organizing tool to get people in a violent frame of mind? The dialogue includes people saying, “Praise the Lord,” as they blow infidels away.
The designers intend this game to become the first dominionist warrior game to break through in the popular culture due to its violent scenarios and realistic graphics, lighting, and sound effects. Its creators expect it to earn a rating of T for Teen. How violent is that? That’s the rating shared by Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell - Chaos Theory, a top selling game in which high-tech gadgets and high-powered weapons - frag grenades, shotguns, assault rifles, and submachine guns—are used to terminate enemies with extreme prejudice.
Could such a violent, dominionist Christian video game really break through to the popular culture? Well, it is based on a series of books that have already set sales records - the blockbuster Left Behind series of 14 novels by writer Jerry B. Jenkins and his visionary collaborator, retired Southern Baptist minister Tim LaHaye. “We hope teenagers like the game,” Mr. LaHaye told the Los Angeles Times. “Our real goal is to have no one left behind.

Signature 

Jimmie Keyes
Tavernier, FL
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. (MLK Jr.)

Posted: 31 May 2006 04:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Good catch, Jim. I actually welcome this sort of thing. I expect it will backfire very badly on them. Most of the right-wing moral police are already concerned about violence and the like in video games. This plays into a ‘wedge strategy’ on our side for once; separating the moralist right wing from the loony (and dangerous) Christian right wing. It will also help separate the Jewish right wing from them.

I also noticed that it takes place in NYC. Where else?

:wink:

But all that said, I am very much a skeptic about the supposed bad influence of video games on youth. Before this, people were worried about violent books, violent games (think cops and robbers or cowboys and indians), violent movies, violent plays, et cetera. The game isn’t the problem, if anything it’s the symptom of a deeper problem. For people without that deeper problem the game is just a game.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sue├▒o de la raz├│n produce monstruos

Posted: 31 May 2006 07:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2006-02-23

Oh no, I agree the game isn’t the problem, I have no concern that violent video games cause non-violent people to become violent. I don’t think everyone who shoots a Puerto Rican in the original Grand Theft Auto game runs out on the street to do it in real life. The kids understand these aren’t real way better than we do.

But the design of the game indicates where the theology of the Rapture and the End of Days is taking these families - they think this is practice for the coming real thing and believe it is a good teaching tool.

I’m not so sure they’re not right on that score. The teaching tool that is.

Jim

Signature 

Jimmie Keyes
Tavernier, FL

Posted: 31 May 2006 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

[quote author=“jimmiekeyes”]But the design of the game indicates where the theology of the Rapture and the End of Days is taking these families - they think this is practice for the coming real thing and believe it is a good teaching tool.

I’m not so sure they’re not right on that score. The teaching tool that is.

I wonder though ... the video game platform is generally a platform for blatantly fictional silly stuff. I wonder if it won’t get some people to see the whole worldview as a childish fiction.

But I’m probably being too optimistic.

8)

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sue├▒o de la raz├│n produce monstruos

Posted: 06 July 2006 05:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  92
Joined  2002-09-09

Violence & video games

I remember when Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas came out, many I worked with were quite hooked on the game and had much respect for its “realism”—gang rivalries, running over people and taking their money, beating down enemies and random passers-by, shootouts, etc.  They weren’t running out and committing these acts, but I learned through conversation that these comfortably middle-class white suburban coworkers of mine really thought that’s how some people’s lives are, say, in South Central LA or Watts or Compton.  Well, not really, but 80% really.

I do agree with Doug, though, that there will be few converts to Christianity because of this game.  And if the producers were really serious, they probably wouldn’t have included an option to play for the other side.

Why the heck would you shoot non-converts anyway, in a “religious and military” mission?  I guess I’ll have to play the game and see.

Debbie

Posted: 07 July 2006 01:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2006-02-23

Thread Moved

Part of this thread was moved to another topic, “Marketing our Philosophy to the Youth of America - the thread starts with a post of AH.

But this topic is still alive!

What should be done to counter the training/schooling that fundamentalists get. What is to be done about home schooling?

How do SHs counter the dominionists? Remember they want to take over the government and model US laws on their idea of biblical law.

Jim

Signature 

Jimmie Keyes
Tavernier, FL