Christian Prison may be Built in Oklahoma
Posted: 18 November 2009 01:41 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

Click here to read press release

Snippets below:

“Americans United for Separation of Church and State today warned Oklahoma corrections officials that a proposed “Christian” prison cannot be supported with public funds.”

“According to news media accounts, sponsors say the Wakita, Okla., prison will hire only Christian staff and inmates will be required to participate in a Christ-centered curriculum.”

“The Rev. Barry W. Lynn, Americans United executive director, says the issues at stake are critically important. “It is wrong for government to take taxpayers’ money and spend it on religious indoctrination,” Lynn said. “That’s a violation of the fundamental rights of every American. I strongly believe that inmates should have access to religious services of their own choosing,” he continued, “but government should never favor one faith over others or coerce inmates to participate in religion.”

I hope the proposed prison doesn’t get very far. As usual, they think Christianity will “cure” criminals. It doesn’t. Study after study has shown these programs simply produce “Christian criminals.” It does nothing to rehabilitate them.

Counseling by a qualified psychologist or social worker (not a “preacher” with a G.E.D.) and job training would be MUCH more helpful to prisoners than bible study and prayer sessions.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 18 November 2009 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  4142
Joined  2008-08-14

Dog gone it Jules, you had me so hopeful when I read the title to this thread. Obviously it isn’t the type of christian prison I was hoping for. Oklahoma would be perfect for it too. Parts of Oklahoma have that Siberia Feel to it. LOL
I’m only joking, I don’t wish prison for anyone. Especially Concentration Prisons!

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 18 November 2009 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

You are too funny. I thought the same thing when I typed the headline. “Now we’ll have a place to put them all!”  LOL

Just kidding.  wink

But seriously, TAXPAYER dollars are going to this? What about job training and counseling? A prison program similar to this was shut down not long ago. Inmates who converted to Christianity were given TV’s, access to computers, job training, and family visits that non-Christians didn’t receive. A non-Christian inmate sued the hell out of them. He wanted to visit his family, watch TV, have job training, and use the computer as well. Seriously - Christians getting special treatment and taxpayer funded perks? Prisoners should not get special treatment based on their religion.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor