NYTimes (Kristof) op-ed piece on Dawkins, Harris et al.
Posted: 26 November 2009 08:28 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Read it HERE:

The Religious Wars
By NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF
Published: November 25, 2009

Just a few years ago, it seemed curious that an omniscient, omnipotent God wouldn’t smite tormentors like Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens and Sam Harris. They all published best-selling books excoriating religion and practically inviting lightning bolts.

<snip>

I’m hoping that the latest crop of books marks an armistice in the religious wars, a move away from both religious intolerance and irreligious intolerance. That would be a sign that perhaps we, along with God, are evolving toward a higher moral order.

Frankly I think it would have been a significantly stronger piece without the last paragraph ...

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 26 November 2009 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  699
Joined  2008-10-26

Fah!

Posted: 26 November 2009 11:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29

I think the last paragraph points to the direction of the religious zeitgeist in the 21st century. We can clearly see some new form of deism developing around.

Posted: 26 November 2009 07:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  699
Joined  2008-10-26

And?

Posted: 27 November 2009 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  2422
Joined  2007-09-03

Thanks Doug.

The books cited are an interesting complement to Dawkins/Hitchins/Harris/Dennett—none of them actually support belief in literal religious truth, but they somehow spend all the time discussing why people believe in God without really emphasizing that He doesn’t exist.

However, I don’t really agree with the view that they represent some sort of “truce”.

Posted: 03 December 2009 04:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  2422
Joined  2007-09-03
dougsmith - 26 November 2009 08:28 AM

Read it HERE:

The Religious Wars

By NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF
Published: November 25, 2009

Frankly I think it would have been a significantly stronger piece without the last paragraph ...

Jerry Coyne has a nicely constructed WWW site and at link below discusses this some more. Gloves off…

[ discussion of the piece and letters in response by Krauss and others, by Jerry Coyne on WWW site Why Evolution is True]