Who Says Skeptics Aren’t Funny?
Posted: 13 December 2009 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4108
Joined  2006-11-28

There are a couple of riotous videos making the rounds that mock superficial nonsense (CAM and other) to quite humorous effect, which I have posted HERE.

I would love to build a collection of such material, not solely CAM-centered of course though that does make for some of the choicest morsels. I suggest this thread as a place to share skeptical humor, particularly at the expense of human irrationality.

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 13 December 2009 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

I just LOVE the Dara O’Briain skit. He is hysterical. I’m tempted to order the DVD of his entire stand up routine. I’d seen a little clip of him on Science Based Medicine before, he’s great.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 13 December 2009 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

You have probably already seen this one: That Mitchell and Webb Look: Homeopathic A&E.

Posted: 13 December 2009 08:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
George - 13 December 2009 08:38 PM

You have probably already seen this one: That Mitchell and Webb Look: Homeopathic A&E.

Mitchell and Webb have followed up with a few more hilarious anti CAM video!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 14 December 2009 05:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14

Yep, those are all really good videos, very funny.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 16 December 2009 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2009-12-12

Haven’t got any videos I’m afraid but the following recent situations/quotes are true, funny and related to alternative medicine.

First, a conversation I had with my ex girlfriend’s crazy creationist mother:

Me: “...and that is why homeopathy is nonsense.”

Her: “Ah, now don’t be so hasty to dismiss alternative medicines. You don’t want to throw the baby out with the bath water.”

Me: “Are we talking about a whole baby or a millionth of a baby?”

And also I just about died laughing the other day when I read this comment. It was left after an article on homeopathy on the Leicester Mercury website.

“I don’t see the need for homeopathic remedies anyway. Why can’t they take the same medicines as straight people???”

Signature 

Reality Is My Religion - My little blog

Twitter
Facebook

“We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and by the depth of our answers.” - Carl Sagan

Posted: 16 December 2009 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14

Excellent, Peter.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 16 December 2009 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

I’ve made the point to ‘true believers’ that was made in Tim Minchins video; Why can the water have memory of the itsy bitsy molecule of ‘medicine’, yet forget all of the fecal matter? How can the water avoid getting confused about what exactly it was supposed to be ‘remembering’, over the course of eons, each molecule must have been contact with every element on this earth. And how can it remember which elemental molecule they are ‘remembering’? ethyl alcohol and methyl alcohol do not have much of a molecular difference (for instance) but one is a poison. Jiggle a molecule here, move a molecule there, and you change the benign into something lethal. Water must be absolutely brilliant to keep everything straight!!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 17 December 2009 08:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

I think Dara O’Briain went too far with the nutrition jab,
that is a doctorate degree as far as I know.  For non-experts it
is tough to figure-out the issues.  I think that people deserve
more leeway than what he gave them. but it is comedy afterall
and the audience laughed.  smile

That Mitchell and Webb one seemed so dark, I think that the
acting was a little too believable for satire, so dramatic,
but I did laugh.  LOL

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 17 December 2009 10:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

It is a tricky one - you can get a masters or phd in nutrition, but anyone can call themselves a “nutritionist” in most states, legally. I could hang a sign on my door that says “nutritionist” with no problem, so could you. Notoriously bad are “trainers” at gyms, who call themselves nutritionists and counsel clients to use dangerous fad diets and urban legends to encourage weight loss or muscle gain. My nutrition professor said if you want nutritional advice, use a registered dietician. You can be a registered dietician with a 4-year degree in nutrition in some states -  but you have to pass state certification and continuing ed to have R.D. title. Most do get a masters though. There is also a lower rank of sorts, “dietician assistants” or a similar term. A 2 or 4 year degree and state certificate. I have to look it up though to refresh my memory.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 18 December 2009 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2009-12-12
asanta - 16 December 2009 03:25 PM

I’ve made the point to ‘true believers’ that was made in Tim Minchins video; Why can the water have memory of the itsy bitsy molecule of ‘medicine’, yet forget all of the fecal matter? How can the water avoid getting confused about what exactly it was supposed to be ‘remembering’, over the course of eons, each molecule must have been contact with every element on this earth. And how can it remember which elemental molecule they are ‘remembering’? ethyl alcohol and methyl alcohol do not have much of a molecular difference (for instance) but one is a poison. Jiggle a molecule here, move a molecule there, and you change the benign into something lethal. Water must be absolutely brilliant to keep everything straight!!

14245_1305857250451_1351118840_901375_4442487_n.jpg

Signature 

Reality Is My Religion - My little blog

Twitter
Facebook

“We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and by the depth of our answers.” - Carl Sagan

Posted: 18 December 2009 03:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

Love it!  LOL

Signature 

Posted: 22 December 2009 03:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  475
Joined  2008-03-08

I thought this was pretty funny. It’s an interview of Ricky Gervais on his atheism:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8gsIuEvEs0

Posted: 27 December 2009 12:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  475
Joined  2008-03-08

Here’s a pretty nice stand up act from an atheist doing his act in a church for Christians (in Swedish).

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv1uOHX5E_8
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCA_E2dGC-o

Posted: 20 January 2010 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-01-04

I love the homeopathic comic (Peter Harrison).  AND it did work!  Made me laugh out loud.  Gee.  Maybe there IS something to it?

[ Edited: 20 January 2010 09:44 AM by tim hamlin ]
 Signature 

Tim Hamlin
Muskegon

Posted: 15 February 2010 01:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-02-11

@jules: your right, i find that man very hilarious.. I have a friend who ordered his DVD, I’ll try to give a feedback on that one. =) My wife’s first exposure to skeptics was last Dragon con. After one of the “tracks” she said… ”Those guys are hilarious. Skeptics aren’t supposed to be funny!” If only everyone could realize that we see all the wonder and awe and humor and love in the world, even without any belief in magic.

[ Edited: 20 February 2010 02:40 AM by Ronaldo10 ]