2 of 7
Male genital mutilation
Posted: 08 January 2010 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

My favorite when I know I’m going to have some painful procedure is to take one naproxyn and a half of a hydroxycodeine an hour before.  Works like a dream.  Still a bit of pain, but nothing beyond annoying.

Occam

Posted: 08 January 2010 08:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

I have a painful procedure coming up at a doctor appointment in a couple weeks, and I’ve got my one Valium pill Rx right here ready for it! I’m telling everyone - life is short, don’t suffer! Get a Valium, then take a cab or get a friend or spouse to drive you to the appointment (shouldn’t drive after taking it.) It’s a low dose, just to take the edge off. 

I get so nervous before procedures that are going to hurt or scare me like the dentist, which freaks me out. A few years ago I had an oral surgeon tell me (after fainting, after getting a wisdom tooth pulled while awake but numb) that I can request a Valium not just for procedures that hurt, but for procedures that cause anxiety. I basically have a panic attack and it’s not fun for me or the DOCTOR! I think they’d much rather have me doped up and calm than sweating, teary-eyed and hyperventilating. It makes their day nicer.

Yes I have ISSUES! But thankfully they only relate to invasive procedures, which are few and far between.  LOL

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 08 January 2010 09:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

Versed and valium are cousins! Versed is shorter acting though…oh wait, versed is IV, I guess it will have to be valium!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 08 January 2010 09:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

Oh Versed must be what they shot in my IV just before my c-section, when I started having a panic attack at the claustrophobic feeling of not being able to move my legs or lower body. My blood pressure started shooting up when I panicked, and the baby’s heartrate went up, and then they shot something in my IV, the room started swooning around, and I had a baby. Just like magic.  LOL

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 09 January 2010 03:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Jules - 08 January 2010 09:16 PM

Oh Versed must be what they shot in my IV just before my c-section, when I started having a panic attack at the claustrophobic feeling of not being able to move my legs or lower body. My blood pressure started shooting up when I panicked, and the baby’s heartrate went up, and then they shot something in my IV, the room started swooning around, and I had a baby. Just like magic.  LOL

Yes, isn’t versed great! When I had it before surgery, I was having a conversation with the anesthesiologist and after the guerney turned the corner, the next thing I remembered was waking from the surgery. I asked the anesthesiologist if I had fallen asleep at that point, and he said ‘no’, I asked if my conversation had become confused, and he said ‘no’, we just continued the conversation till they rolled me into the room and gave me propofol!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 09 January 2010 05:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

I remember everything although it was spinning a little, so they must have given me a low dose (probably because of the baby and so I could be awake for it) but everything was swoony and spinning and strange. I started feeling woozy and telling my husband he looked really sexy in the green scrubs they gave him to be in the OR for the c-section. I remember saying in halting words “You look HOT honey. You look like a DOCTOR.” And everyone in the room had a big laugh. I remember a few things in between, like my husband giving me a play-by-play of the surgery “They’re cutting you now! I see your organs!” Gross. Then I remember my baby crying, and they held him to my face so I could give him a kiss and see him before they whisked him away for tests.

Don’t you wonder now what you said in that conversation, that you can’t remember now?  LOL

Signature 

Posted: 09 January 2010 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Jules - 09 January 2010 05:58 AM

I remember everything although it was spinning a little, so they must have given me a low dose (probably because of the baby and so I could be awake for it) but everything was swoony and spinning and strange. I started feeling woozy and telling my husband he looked really sexy in the green scrubs they gave him to be in the OR for the c-section. I remember saying in halting words “You look HOT honey. You look like a DOCTOR.” And everyone in the room had a big laugh. I remember a few things in between, like my husband giving me a play-by-play of the surgery “They’re cutting you now! I see your organs!” Gross. Then I remember my baby crying, and they held him to my face so I could give him a kiss and see him before they whisked him away for tests.

Don’t you wonder now what you said in that conversation, that you can’t remember now?  LOL

It sounds like the effects of ketamine, although I don’t know if they would give ketamine to a woman delivering. It certainly causes lowered inhibitions, and I have heard hilarious comments from patients on it. As for my conversation, apparently it was a lucid continuation of our medical conversation we were having before the point where I lost my memories. The doctor said I was perfectly lucid…so I can imagine what I was saying based on the conversation we were having before hand.

Signature 

Posted: 11 January 2010 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  6039
Joined  2009-02-26

Have there ever been any studies on the psychological effects of circumcision in a child?  Seems to me that anything so directly related and influential to a very basic part of the human psyche, would have a traumatic and lasting impact on the sexual/psychological development in children. Removing the protective cover and permanently exposing one of the most sensitive areas of the body, would result in a flood of sensory input, which may well have an impact on the sexual and overall psychological development, especially at an early stage.
And why is female circumcision barbaric, but male circumcision is “a covenant with god”?

[ Edited: 11 January 2010 01:21 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 11 January 2010 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  4080
Joined  2006-11-28

I’m probably going to catch hell for this, but I have to say I don’t really understand the intensity of emotion surrounding this topic. I find the evidence of benefit to circumcision weak, though there is some (as Jules pointed out earlier), and when my wife and I discussed it before having kids we decided we wouldn’t have it done (though it turned out a moot point as we had a girl), but I find myself unimpressed by the arguments that lie behind such hyperbole as “mutilation” and the vaguely Freudian notions of “traumatic and lasting impact.” The male and female anatomy are quite different, and comparisons to clitoridectomy or more radical procedures in females really don’t seem appropriate. Millions of men seem to have lived healthy, functional lives (secually and otherwise) despite being circumcised, so in the absence of some hard data to the contrar, I think there is a bit of hysteria in some of the opposition to the procedure.

I agree the religious motives are meaningless as a justification for any surgical procedure, and the balance of the evidence doesn’t seem to support routine circumcision, but I guess I ust don’t understand the passion the topic engenders.

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 11 January 2010 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

I agree with McKenzie.  First, male and female “circumcision” are not the same thing.  The male equivalent of female circumcision would be to remove the glans or entire head of the penis.  Second, without the prepuce or foreskin, the underlying skin would become more like the lips, still sensitive, but not at all the delicate tissue one might think.  Third, I can’t think of any way one can measure the differences in significant psychological areas since being done as an infant, how could one know what the other condition would be like as an adult.

Occam  
Wordpad

Posted: 11 January 2010 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  441
Joined  2009-12-17
Write4U - 11 January 2010 01:19 PM

Have there ever been any studies on the psychological effects of circumcision in a child?  Seems to me that anything so directly related and influential to a very basic part of the human psyche, would have a traumatic and lasting impact on the sexual/psychological development in children.

This is why all mutilation of the body of a child is fundamentally wrong, at an age when the child has no say in the matter and the mutilation cannot be reversed. Children have a right to remain intact until they can make decisions on their own precious body. We have little in this short life to call our own other than our precious body. Leave it alone and allow people to make the decisions themselves.

Posted: 11 January 2010 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Total Posts:  6039
Joined  2009-02-26
Occam - 11 January 2010 03:24 PM

I agree with McKenzie.  First, male and female “circumcision” are not the same thing.  The male equivalent of female circumcision would be to remove the glans or entire head of the penis.  Second, without the prepuce or foreskin, the underlying skin would become more like the lips, still sensitive, but not at all the delicate tissue one might think.  Third, I can’t think of any way one can measure the differences in significant psychological areas since being done as an infant, how could one know what the other condition would be like as an adult.
Occam  
Wordpad

I was not speaking about clitorectomy but female circumcision, the removal of the hood and exposing the clitoris.
I was also not speaking of tha act of circumcision itself, which might be forgotten, like any other physically painful experience. I was considering the constant stimulation and eventual desensitation of the nerves. I am not a medical person, but I always thought that penile stimulation results in production of testosterone, which influences behavioral (agression).

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 12 January 2010 01:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  698
Joined  2007-10-14
mckenzievmd - 11 January 2010 02:09 PM

I find myself unimpressed by the arguments that lie behind such hyperbole as “mutilation” and the vaguely Freudian notions of “traumatic and lasting impact.” The male and female anatomy are quite different, and comparisons to clitoridectomy or more radical procedures in females really don’t seem appropriate. Millions of men seem to have lived healthy, functional lives (secually and otherwise) despite being circumcised, so in the absence of some hard data to the contrar, I think there is a bit of hysteria in some of the opposition to the procedure.

`
And I can’t understand why men wouldn’t be outraged by the idea of having tens of thousands of nerve endings being cut away from their primary sexual ‘erogenous zone’ without their choice/consent.

No, it doesn’t eliminate sexual pleasure, but it certainly lessens it.  Do a google search of ‘circumcision nerve endings’.

I realize that men and women are different physiologically, but I can tell you this ~ given the choice to be ‘intact’ or have some bits of my ‘lady parts’ removed (bits that are loaded with nerve endings), I sure as hell will choose the former.  Why would you choose anything else with no good reason?

We’re talking about being able to fully enjoy one’s sexual pleasure.  I don’t think being against diminishing it against one’s will constitutes ‘hysteria’.

I realize that ‘cut’ guys have no way of knowing what they’re missing…....but given all of the physiological data, they are ‘missing’ a certain degree of sensation.  Maybe that’s why they don’t ‘get’ the uproar.  But even if I were a circumcized male who can never know what I’m missing, I’d still be strongly in favour of not diminishing any other man’s pleasure.

`

Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 12 January 2010 02:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2007-10-14

without the prepuce or foreskin, the underlying skin would become more like the lips, still sensitive, but not at all the delicate tissue one might think.

`
Exactly.  Without the foreskin, the underlying skin is ‘still sensitive but not at all the delicate tissue one might think’.

You’ve just said that a circumcized penis isn’t as sensitive.

`

[ Edited: 12 January 2010 03:11 AM by Axegrrl ]
 Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 12 January 2010 03:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Joined  2007-10-14

like the lips, still sensitive, but not at all the delicate tissue one might think.

`
In my responding to the issue of the sensitivity of the male organ, I totally missed this….....

Occam, in the above quote (in the context of comparing the male and female parts), by ‘lips’ you’re referring to the female labia, yes?

And you’re saying that it’s “not at all the delicate tissue one might think”?  Unless you’re female, how on earth can make such a declaration?  I would rather not get too personal here, but I can assure you that the labial ‘lips’ can be extremely sensitive (especially during arousal).

The clitoris, although the ‘focal’ point of female sensitivity, is not the be-all-end-all of it.

The lips are indeed ‘sensitive’ ~ just because they may not be quite as sensitive as the clitoris doesn’t mean that removing the tissue wouldn’t result in an overall reduction of pleasure….....because it most definitely would.

`

[ Edited: 12 January 2010 03:20 AM by Axegrrl ]
 Signature 

2 of 7