4 of 7
Male genital mutilation
Posted: 13 January 2010 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  441
Joined  2009-12-17

Wo !! I take issue with that statement about Tracy often playing apelike guys !! I have seen almost all of his films.. and this is not true… he almost exclusively played quite erudite intelligent men.

Posted: 13 January 2010 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Total Posts:  698
Joined  2007-10-14
scepticeye - 13 January 2010 10:32 AM

Wo !! I take issue with that statement about Tracy often playing apelike guys !! I have seen almost all of his films.. and this is not true… he almost exclusively played quite erudite intelligent men.

`
a facade I tell you, a facade.

*talking as someone who’s seen his days-old skidmarks firsthand*

`

Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 13 January 2010 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14

I understood the humor in Axegrrls comments. So is that Hepburn or not? I’m just curious to see if my celebrity recognition skills are ok.  grin

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 13 January 2010 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Joined  2007-10-14
VYAZMA - 13 January 2010 11:06 AM

I understood the humor in Axegrrls comments. So is that Hepburn or not? I’m just curious to see if my celebrity recognition skills are ok.  :-)

`
No, it’s a photo of Meryl Streep playing Katharine Hepburn.

`

Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 13 January 2010 11:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14
Axegrrl - 13 January 2010 11:46 AM

I understood the humor in Axegrrls comments. So is that Hepburn or not? I’m just curious to see if my celebrity recognition skills are ok.  grin

`

`

Nice job by Streep. I always liked her.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 13 January 2010 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
Axegrrl - 13 January 2010 11:46 AM

`

`

LOL

Posted: 13 January 2010 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Total Posts:  441
Joined  2009-12-17
Axegrrl - 13 January 2010 10:51 AM
scepticeye - 13 January 2010 10:32 AM

`
a facade I tell you, a facade.

*talking as someone who’s seen his days-old skidmarks firsthand*

`

Oooooh !

grin

Posted: 13 January 2010 06:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

LOL And I thought I had a monoply on being a wise-ass.  LOL  Good one, Axegrrl.

Occam

Posted: 13 January 2010 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  158
Joined  2010-01-03
romati - 03 January 2010 01:37 AM

I would like to get some advice from you how to behave in my personal situation.

My wife is of arabic origin and her family wishes a circumcision of our son.
For somebody who was not born in a culture/tradition like this it seems to be a rather
barbaric primitiv middle aged and unacceptable tradition.

But how should we treat the family of my wife??
Should we lie to circumcise or should we speak the thruth??
My wife fears to be expelled from her family.

Show them the Penn & Teller BS episode on the subject from season 2 or 3.  And then, hope they can reason.

Signature 

I live in a world of lighthouses. However, my friends are living in sunny tranquility.

Posted: 13 January 2010 11:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Total Posts:  6175
Joined  2009-02-26
Chudwick - 13 January 2010 06:45 PM

I would like to get some advice from you how to behave in my personal situation.

For somebody who was not born in a culture/tradition like this it seems to be a rather

Show them the Penn & Teller BS episode on the subject from season 2 or 3.  And then, hope they can reason.

Is it a matter of reason?

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 14 January 2010 01:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Joined  2007-10-14
Occam - 13 January 2010 06:42 PM

LOL And I thought I had a monoply on being a wise-ass.  LOL  Good one, Axegrrl.

Occam

`
*curtsying*

smile
`

Signature 

Posted: 14 January 2010 02:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  158
Joined  2010-01-03
Write4U - 13 January 2010 11:19 PM
Chudwick - 13 January 2010 06:45 PM

Is it a matter of reason?

Is it a matter of reason?  In this case, any approach will do, as long the kid doesn’t get circumcised and the family does not abandon the wife.  I am aware that there are other ways of “knowing” and hence other ways of persuading.  I think my suggestion is valid, though it is quite apparent, that I favor reason.

Signature 

I live in a world of lighthouses. However, my friends are living in sunny tranquility.

Posted: 17 January 2010 01:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Total Posts:  352
Joined  2008-04-24

Circumcision, outside of an actual medical necessity (more on that in a minute) is genital mutilation.  Since most Americans, including men, don’t care about men’s rights, it has largely gone unnoticed until the last decade.  Obviously, the converse would make people in the US cringe, but, such is our current social order (family law/child custody-support system next target).

I have three sons, none of which have been circumcised; however, my second son (age 6) will be in a couple months, due to phemosis, the painful failure of the skin to pull back.  His is a medical necessity according to his pediatrician, whom I trust.  My 12 year old and my 1 year old have had no such problems, nor did my father (born on a couch in 1941 Alabama). Me?  I was mutilated, part of my body was removed without my consent, but I survived.

Glad to see this as an issue on here.

Signature 

Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick (Democrat):

“It’s a free country; I wish it weren’t, but it’s a free country.” when speaking of a rally on the Capitol.

Posted: 17 January 2010 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

Asanta pointed out to me earlier in the thread, that it may be possible for a child with a non-retracting, painful foreskin, to have a simpler medical procedure to correct the retraction problem without resorting to circumcision. Also, has your doctor tried cortisone cream before resorting to the surgery?

The pediatric urologist I took my son to, said a strong cortisone cream (prescription, not over the counter) often solves the problem. The cortisone loosens the protein bonds in the skin, allowing the skin to stretch and often correcting the problem. It must be used for six weeks before you can tell if the results are favorable.

Given that your son’s surgery is scheduled in two months, it might be worth trying the skin cream first. If it doesn’t work, no harm done. If it does work, you can avoid surgery. The child psychologist I’m consulting said circumcision of children old enough to remember, is often very traumatic.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 17 January 2010 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Total Posts:  352
Joined  2008-04-24

Jules, yes, they did try that.  Unfortunately it did not work.

Signature 

Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick (Democrat):

“It’s a free country; I wish it weren’t, but it’s a free country.” when speaking of a rally on the Capitol.

4 of 7