4 of 4
Humanists bridge building.
Posted: 13 August 2007 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1161
Joined  2007-07-16
retrospy - 10 August 2007 03:59 PM

I have often wondered if my humanist emotions are a byproduct of my religous upbringing and a desire to be respected by my religious family and peers.

its most likely the same source for religion. think about your own thoughts, memories, emotions and experiences. they all center around your relationships with others. that communities exist is a natural product. we are social by nature. i dont think humanism is a product of religion. i think both are the same byproduct.

speaking of social evolution. check out the cover to this book. i saw it at 1/2 priced books for $2.98

http://www.amazon.com/Foundations-Social-Evolution-Steven-Frank/dp/0691059330/ref=sr_1_1/105-0677135-4493268?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1187014002&sr=8-1

Signature 

“Unsustainable systems can’t be sustained.” ~ Robert Jensen

Posted: 14 August 2007 08:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Total Posts:  418
Joined  2007-07-19

I concur.  The issue for me, is efficiency.

That cover image would make a good icon.

Signature 

“It is the tension between creativity and skepticism that has produced the stunning and unexpected findings of science.” ~ Carl Sagan

Posted: 14 August 2007 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Total Posts:  7571
Joined  2007-03-02

Narwhol, Humanism is about reason and compassion too.  It is about better ourselves.  It has goals for everyone to achieve without the belief in a deity.  It’s also everything Brennen said too.  In this way, it gives us something to grasp also, something to strive for.  Atheism is just a belief in no god, but it has not set goals in life.  One still has to make them for themselves or join with others that have the same ideas.  Thus Humanism is for the human, it focus on the human and humanity.  In this way, we all work together to a common goal (which is similar to what Brennen said).  It is a community that strives to better themselves (as individuals) and the rest of humanity.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 14 August 2007 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Total Posts:  1161
Joined  2007-07-16

Mriana,

i really liked that response (maybe its because im romantic about progressive change in society   wink )

Signature 

“Unsustainable systems can’t be sustained.” ~ Robert Jensen

Posted: 16 August 2007 11:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Total Posts:  7571
Joined  2007-03-02

Thanks Truthaddict.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

4 of 4