First Kepler Findings
Posted: 05 January 2010 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-01-05

Links:
Wired
NASA Statistics

The first analysis of the space telescope Kepler’s findings have been released. I would say that the mysteriously hot planets were cool, but that might seem a bit misleading smile

Any thoughts?

Signature 

One does not simply Rock the Kasbah into Mordor.

Posted: 05 January 2010 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Benzyne, I just checked the statistics.  You may have been reading degrees inclination as temperature.  If you check the next couple of columns, you’ll see that all the planets are in the 5,000 to 7,000 degrees Kelvin range, and that’s hot enough to liquify or convert to gas most of the elements and natural materials.

Degrees incliniation is how far off of “vertical” the axis of the planet is as it revolves around its star.

Hope that helps.

Occam

Posted: 05 January 2010 06:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Holy cow!  Orbiting from 2.20 - 4.89 days (Earth days I assume),
and a radius from 0.0356-0.0622 times the Earth’s distance from
the Sun!  Those are tight orbits!

<sillyness>
Cool… planets from 1500-1868 °K, stars from 4780-6350 °K,
data
is so informative, it is so cool to explore and discover,
armchair discovery!
</sillyness>

parsec.gif

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 05 January 2010 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03
Occam - 05 January 2010 02:20 PM

Benzyne, I just checked the statistics.  You may have been reading degrees inclination as temperature.  If you check the next couple of columns, you’ll see that all the planets are in the 5,000 to 7,000 degrees Kelvin range, and that’s hot enough to liquify or convert to gas most of the elements and natural materials.

Degrees incliniation is how far off of “vertical” the axis of the planet is as it revolves around its star.

Hope that helps.

Occam

Occam, perhaps he meant “cool” as in “really neat.”  You old fud!  wink

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 05 January 2010 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Hey Icy, let’s not be calling someone an old fud when someone self-reported her own attention and memory failures.  LOL

But, yeah you’re probably right.  I sure wish those youngsters learned how to speak proper English and used rational phrases like 23-skidoo.  big surprise

Occam

Posted: 05 January 2010 07:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

I knew I’d get a chuckle out of you.  You’re fun to pick on, because you also pick on yourself. cheese

And in my defense, it was a brand new door and I was not aware that it locked from the outside. The condo board picked the design and ordered it.  LOL

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 05 January 2010 07:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-01-05

Yes, that was a joke, hence the smilie. I’m perfectly aware of the temperature.

The styrofoam planet is awesome. Half the mass and 1.5 times the diameter of Jupiter.

Signature 

One does not simply Rock the Kasbah into Mordor.