Unorthodox theater does Scientology musical
Posted: 06 January 2010 08:20 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  350
Joined  2008-12-11

Unorthodox theater does Scientology musical

By Laura Kelly
Published: Monday, January 4, 2010
http://www.dailynorthwestern.com/unorthodox-theater-does-scientology-musical-1.2129969

The Next Theatre Company prides itself on producing unorthodox plays. This holiday season the Evanston-based group did just that with its production of “A Very Merry Unauthorized Children’s Scientology Pageant.”
The musical, written by Kyle Jarrow and based on a concept by Alex Timbers, chronicles and satirizes the life of Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard.
Although the musical pokes fun at some of the tenets of Scientology and the practices of its members, Marketing Director and Artistic Administrator Chelsea Keenan said the play had more substance.
“The play works on a couple of levels,” she said. “First it parodies children’s Christmas pageants ... those sorts of plays that you are forced to go watch as a parent.” . . .
Although the musical is aimed at adult audiences, Keenan said kids understood the play’s message as well.
“Kids understand criticism,” she said. “A message here is that it is wise for children to question their elders, and I don’t think that message is lost on them.” . . .

Posted: 06 January 2010 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

I wonder what the reaction of scientology will be, they are generally unamused when their silliness is paraded for the public.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 07 January 2010 05:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

No doubt there will be a lawsuit. Anytime just about anyone gives an interview, writes a tell-all book, or speaks publicly in any manner about them they not only sue but also have a “department” dedicated to harassing and humiliating people who speak against them. They dig up dirt on people and air their dirty laundry. I am sure a lawsuit is in the works.

However, artists in general have more leeway against these type of lawsuits. Artists, whether sculptors, painters, singers or actors, must be protected in most circumstances. Otherwise we’d have some pretty bland and regulated art.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 07 January 2010 07:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  350
Joined  2008-12-11

I thought twice about posting that story, actually, since greater publicity might risk Scientology’s attention.  But they’re probably better at monitoring religious and freethought news than I am, anyway.

Posted: 07 January 2010 08:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03
asanta - 06 January 2010 11:15 AM

I wonder what the reaction of scientology will be, they are generally unamused when their silliness is paraded for the public.

It is interesting to look at the comments posted—only 4, and 2 of them are sort of concerned about the self-esteem of Scientologists and compare criticizing Scientology to racial prejudice etc. 

It would be nice to see this story picked up by Pharyngula {I hate spelling that} who last did scientology in October:
http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2009/10/scientology_fraud.php