Miep Gies, 1909-2010
Posted: 11 January 2010 08:31 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2006-04-03

Just saw this on the web. 

Miep Gies, the woman who helped hide Anne Frank and her family, has died.  She was 100 (actually, her 101st birthday would have been in February).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/11/miep-gies-dead-anne-frank_n_419357.html

I taught a Sunday School for Humanistic Jews (Congregation for Humanistic Judaism) a few years ago and always taught my students about Miep’s courage in the face of the Nazis.  Obviously, Anne’s story resonated with them, but so did Miep’s.

She was a hero to me.  I hope I never have to face what she faced, but if I do, I hope I have half of the courage she did.

Posted: 11 January 2010 09:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
HappyHumanist - 11 January 2010 08:31 PM

Just saw this on the web. 

Miep Gies, the woman who helped hide Anne Frank and her family, has died.  She was 100 (actually, her 101st birthday would have been in February).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/11/miep-gies-dead-anne-frank_n_419357.html

I taught a Sunday School for Humanistic Jews (Congregation for Humanistic Judaism) a few years ago and always taught my students about Miep’s courage in the face of the Nazis.  Obviously, Anne’s story resonated with them, but so did Miep’s.

She was a hero to me.  I hope I never have to face what she faced, but if I do, I hope I have half of the courage she did.

Thanks for posting the article, I just read it in my newspaper. I didn’t realize she was still alive all of this time. She was a true hero. I admired her since I read The diary of Anne Frank in jr high school. My dad took us to the house where her family was hidden when I was about 6 or 7. It must have been important to him, because he impressed the importance of the home upon us to the point that I still remember the trip 50 years later.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

‹‹ Bill Moyers Journal 1/10/10      Arne Duncan ››