5 of 5
Why post claptrap here?
Posted: 16 October 2010 06:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4622
Joined  2007-10-05

Ruat Caelum, I think you are taking W4U’s words out of context. He wrote

And when we consider that these phenomena have been occurring and witnessed for thousands of years, is it any wonder that “the hand of god” can be seen in other such natural wonders. This is why the persistence of woo.

I took it to mean people make up explanations for phenomena they cannot explain, and science has only had a few centuries to rebut this type of magical thinking. He wasn’t saying he believes in the “hand of god.”

My take is people believe in magic sky daddies because they are uneducated and prefer easy answers. Science is hard work, and most people would rather take the easy way out than put in the time and concentration required to understand reality. That and people simply cannot reconcile our short, brutish lives with their desires to live in paradise forever with their loved ones.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 16 October 2010 07:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2010-09-24

Perhaps, but W4U hasn’t said as much.

I’d rather leave it to the user to back their claims.

-RC

Posted: 16 October 2010 07:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
Total Posts:  4622
Joined  2007-10-05

I think “This is why the persistence of woo” pretty much says he doesn’t believe in magic sky daddies, but maybe he’ll come back and clarify his words.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 16 October 2010 07:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2010-09-24

Hopefully.

-RC

Posted: 16 October 2010 09:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
Total Posts:  5976
Joined  2009-02-26

LOL  LOL  cheese

It’s true, I use too many compound sentences.

[ Edited: 16 October 2010 09:52 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 16 October 2010 10:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
Total Posts:  5976
Joined  2009-02-26

I see the bible (and the like) as I see science fiction.
Where good science fiction is usually set in a fantastic environment, it can be instructional in the areas of science and philosophy and the scientific principles employed may be based on current speculative science. Space/time warps, multiple universes, parallel dimensions, quantum entanglement are all speculative paradigms, but they are actively being investigated by science.
On the other “hand”, theism and deism is fantastic fiction, set in a familiar environment, but can be instructional in areas of philosophy, morality, and the subjective interpretations of personal experience, and by extension, theoretical science. Don’t dismiss the history and evolution of both, scientific and theistic fantasy too easily, there is much to learn from each.
Spiritually I am atheist, I am a believer in science, but I am an agnostic in the theoretical (fantastical, until proven) sciences and philosophies.

[ Edited: 16 October 2010 11:00 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

5 of 5

‹‹ Astral Travel      Do Fish Feel Pain? ››