2 of 9
Pat Roberston is an evil scum
Posted: 13 January 2010 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14
Jules - 13 January 2010 06:01 PM

Well, reading an article about what Robertson and Limbaugh said is different. It is not the same as to watch Robertson’s TV show directly or listen to Limbaugh’s radio show directly, which would be a form of supporting them by giving them viewers and listeners. If that concerns you. wink

I understand your concerns about what’s on air. But I feel too strongly about our rights of free speech, that it is a dangerous slippery slope. Or did you mean your previous conversation about “fair time” or “equal time” to opposing views? I might have missed some of that conversation, or don’t recall that far back.

No I mean restricting speech altogether. But that’s me. Even if you read the articles you’re still contributing to the consensus-which ends up grist for the mill.
I know you are sensitive Jules, so when I say “you” above, I don’t just mean you. I’m guilty too.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 13 January 2010 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Joined  2008-08-14

Jules-

I understand your concerns about what’s on air. But I feel too strongly about our rights of free speech, that it is a dangerous slippery slope. Or did you mean your previous conversation about “fair time” or “equal time” to opposing views? I might have missed some of that conversation, or don’t recall that far back.

No. I’m going to have to continue here Jules. Don’t take this personal.(I mean that!)
Slippery Slope-Slippery Slope!! What the heck does this mean? What does that mean? It means nothing!!!
What do you call it now-as it is? A nice, smooth, level surface with good traction?
Free-speech as we know it now is an interpretation. It’s a nebulous concept. New rules could be implemented that apply across the board. Egalitarian rules that more strictly define the definition of journalism, and reporting. New rules that prevent rhetoric, propaganda, falsehoods, smearing, and all the other “colorful” methods of “Journalism” now in play.
Slippery slope. We’re friggin’ slipping away here as it is.
Otherwise we just continue on with this. Sometimes I wonder what is worse the Broadcasts, or the “Sheeple”(myself included) that chatter away reacting, and foaming, or applauding and cheering. Identifying with empty, information-less journalism.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 13 January 2010 06:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  1783
Joined  2008-08-09

Asanta,
sorry hear about your cousin,
may I add my name to the list of people wishing your cousin and you…
Good luck -Hope for the best.

asanta - 13 January 2010 04:54 PM

My house sits on bed rock on a hill (I checked before buying). We rarely feel earthquakes that may even be felt a few blocks away. I do feel earthquakes originating in the Concord-Dublin area for some reason though. The Hayward fault runs withing 100 yards of my home….
I guess I’ll look to see Rush Limbaugh make Robertson seen a teeny bit less loathsome.

And good luck on the house, sounds mighty close for comfort. 
Do your tables and shelves have rails like they do on boats wink

As for the right wing media, what a tragedy that so many need to demonize others in order to prop up their own self esteem.
Even more tragic that so many believe them like gospel.

Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus is not formed by scientists !
The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 13 January 2010 06:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

Ah yes, I recall you having very passionate opinions on this topic in the past Vyazma!

By slippery slope, an example would be - I worry that restricting journalists, or telling journalists what they can and cannot do, would lead to a media system like that in China, where media is censored, government cannot be criticized, and popular figures cannot be criticized. First it might start as punishment with fines, then it turns to jail time…

I would love a truly neutral journalistic approach, but that is hard to do. Subtle leanings always come out. But what about straight-out opinion pieces? What is your thought on opinion pieces, TV, newspaper, or otherwise?

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 13 January 2010 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

Just got the news! My (70+ yr old) cousin, his wife and step daughter were just found safe! They were all in Haiti doing charity work…something that is now more urgent than ever!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 13 January 2010 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

That is great news Asanta!

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 13 January 2010 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  4860
Joined  2007-10-05

Fixing our journalism is easy. Reverse the legislation Reagan pushed through which allowed a single company to own multiple media outlets in one city. That is what started the decline that has led to Sarah Palin on Faux News, Rush Limbaugh on radio stations across the country, and the same crappy music on every station in the USA.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 13 January 2010 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

Asanta, that is most excellent news for you and your family. I hope they are able to help. The important part is they are safe.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 13 January 2010 07:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03

Asanta glad you got the news they were OK. Hope they stay safe.

In regard to the Robertson-scum-topic thanks for shining light where it is really needed. 

What is needed is for liberal or mainstream Christians to criticize this talk….not just secularists…..

Posted: 13 January 2010 08:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  7614
Joined  2007-03-02

Sorry to hear about your cousin, asanta.  Hopefully you will hear from him soon. As for Pat Robinson, he is a sick man, but he isn’t going to get any help for what ails him, which is sad.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 14 January 2010 05:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2008-08-14
Jules - 13 January 2010 06:41 PM

Ah yes, I recall you having very passionate opinions on this topic in the past Vyazma!

By slippery slope, an example would be - I worry that restricting journalists, or telling journalists what they can and cannot do, would lead to a media system like that in China, where media is censored, government cannot be criticized, and popular figures cannot be criticized. First it might start as punishment with fines, then it turns to jail time…

I would love a truly neutral journalistic approach, but that is hard to do. Subtle leanings always come out. But what about straight-out opinion pieces? What is your thought on opinion pieces, TV, newspaper, or otherwise?

Opinion pieces must not be reported to be the news. Opinion pieces must stop being disguised as the news. Polls have to stop being used as news. Reporting on elections must be more tightly regulated. Reporting on candidates must be regulated. Speculative reporting must be curtailed. Example: News Outlet 1A cannot report about third party speculations of what candidate X may implement if he/she was elected. Not if there is no record-a solid record of the candidate themselves proposing such an idea.
These are just a few things.

Signature 

Posted: 14 January 2010 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Total Posts:  350
Joined  2008-09-10

Well, at least Robertson got “Napoleon” right (the first one, though, not the third).  I thought Napoleon had a pact with the devil, though.  Or, perhaps he was the anti-Christ.  It’s difficult to keep track of these things.

Signature 

“Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain.” 
—F. Schiller

http://theblogofciceronianus.blogspot.com

Posted: 14 January 2010 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  6194
Joined  2006-12-20
fotobits - 13 January 2010 12:43 PM

Robertson then goes on to compare Haiti with the Dominican Republic, and how the DR has tourist resorts and modern society because they did not make a deal with the Devil. The man is absolutely nuts.

Nuts, unfortunately carrying a dangerous meme, but evil scum?

Sorry, I kow the reaction will be that it’s understandable to be angry and write stuff like that but I still think it’s best to counter it.

Stephen

Posted: 14 January 2010 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

Stephen, evil scum was the most polite term I could think of. What I really wanted to say would have earned banishment from these forums. Pat Robertson is sick, bigoted and hateful. The world is a worse place with people like him around. He feeds bigotry to his flock, and receives millions of dollars as a reward. He is a man of God.

Signature 

Posted: 14 January 2010 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Total Posts:  6194
Joined  2006-12-20
fotobits - 14 January 2010 11:12 AM

Stephen, evil scum was the most polite term I could think of. What I really wanted to say would have earned banishment from these forums. Pat Robertson is sick, bigoted and hateful. The world is a worse place with people like him around. He feeds bigotry to his flock, and receives millions of dollars as a reward. He is a man of God.

Sorry fotobits, I think this is a big mistake.

I think you are letting your skepticism slip, he is a bunch of atoms for goodness sake.

You wouldn’t describe the bunch of atoms that make up the earthquake as evil scum.

What’s the difference?

Stephen

2 of 9