The future of Point of Inquiry
Posted: 15 January 2010 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2006-08-03

Hello,

Does CFI know yet what the plans are for the future of Point of Inquiry, now that DJ Grothe has moved on to the James Randi Educational Foundation?  I am a longtime listener to the show.  I hope the show can continue.  FYI, I produce my own podcast.  I am not qualified to host a show like this but might be able to offer production help.

Posted: 15 January 2010 11:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15370
Joined  2006-02-14

Barry Karr from CFI asked me to post this in response:

The Center for Inquiry will be producing new episodes of the Point of Inquiry beginning in the near future.  Discussions continue over format and possible hosts.  We are excited by the prospects and we expect to have a major announcement very soon.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 15 January 2010 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-01-15

One of the things that I loved about DJ Grothe on Point of Inquiry was his ability to present a position that was in opposition to his guests viewpoint so the quest could respond to that opposition.  DJ was able to do this without setting up strawmen or by being confrontational.  He seem to truly understand the opposing positions (even when he was manifestly opposed to those positions) and could articulate what their concerns would be.  This set up a dynamic tension that brought out the best in his guests and made the interviews very rewarding.

Posted: 17 January 2010 09:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-08-03

Good to hear—thanks!

Posted: 17 January 2010 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03
dougsmith - 15 January 2010 11:18 AM

Barry Karr from CFI asked me to post this in response:

The Center for Inquiry will be producing new episodes of the Point of Inquiry beginning in the near future.  Discussions continue over format and possible hosts.  We are excited by the prospects and we expect to have a major announcement very soon.

Thanks Doug.  I think this is an important part of CFI visibility and communication.

Posted: 18 January 2010 07:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-01-18

Thanks to Will for informing us about what happened to POI.  I’m indeed sorry that DJ Grothe is no longer doing the show.  All I knew before reading Will’s post was that no podcasts had been released since November.  Was/is there an announcement about the show?  If so, I missed it.  Also, does anyone know why there is no link on the Council for Secular Humanism website to CFI (and thence to this forum)?  (Or have I missed that as well?)

Posted: 18 January 2010 07:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
coffent - 18 January 2010 07:08 PM

Thanks to Will for informing us about what happened to POI.  I’m indeed sorry that DJ Grothe is no longer doing the show.  All I knew before reading Will’s post was that no podcasts had been released since November.  Was/is there an announcement about the show?  If so, I missed it.  Also, does anyone know why there is no link on the Council for Secular Humanism website to CFI (and thence to this forum)?  (Or have I missed that as well?)

The thread about DJ moving to head the JREF is HERE. There is a linking page at CSH HERE.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 23 January 2010 09:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-10-13

I was skeptical about any possible value that podcasting had to offer in it’s infancy.  The first podcast I heard was the first episode of Point of Inquiry.  I knew nothing about CFI or the skeptical movement.  I was sold on what podcasting had to offer and to this day Point of Inquiry is my favorite podcast and I am a Friend of the Center.  While it won’t be the same without DJ and his considerable talent for posing interesting and thought-provoking questions as well as his willingness to play devil’s advocate, I am confident that CFI will find a host that we can all support and appreciate.  I am looking forward to future episodes of POI and I applaud the efforts of Thomas Donnelly and CFI for providing this enlightening program.

Posted: 26 January 2010 08:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2010-01-26

First time post to say I hope Lauren Becker is involved with the new POI! I miss her little lectures that appeared at the beginning of earlier episodes.

Signature 

http://struckbyenlightning.wordpress.com

Posted: 26 January 2010 08:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
EnlightningLinZ - 26 January 2010 08:02 PM

First time post to say I hope Lauren Becker is involved with the new POI! I miss her little lectures that appeared at the beginning of earlier episodes.

Me too!

grin

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 29 January 2010 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-09-23

Whenever the new shows start up again, with whichever host, I think that I’d like to hear the first episode be an interview with D.J. Grothe answering the questions for once. It would be a nice way to see the torch pass, in my opinion.

Posted: 29 January 2010 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-01-15
xinit - 29 January 2010 10:07 AM

Whenever the new shows start up again, with whichever host, I think that I’d like to hear the first episode be an interview with D.J. Grothe answering the questions for once. It would be a nice way to see the torch pass, in my opinion.

This is an absolutely brilliant idea.

Posted: 29 January 2010 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2008-07-31
jdhuey - 29 January 2010 11:25 AM
xinit - 29 January 2010 10:07 AM

This is an absolutely brilliant idea.

Concur!!

Signature 

There is grandeur in this view of life …  from so simple a beginning, endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
- Charles Darwin