1 of 11
does anybody believe in ghosts?
Posted: 19 January 2010 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  438
Joined  2009-01-28

just wondering.  been seeing a lot of those “ghost hunter’ type programs on the tube lately.

Posted: 19 January 2010 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

Nope, I don’t.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 19 January 2010 06:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

I’ve noticed the plethora of these kinds of stupid programs.  The only advantage is that it makes it easier for me to turn off the TV.

I see that they’ve now been adding vampires to the Woo mix.  I thought the reality shows were atrocious, but they seem to find new depths of mental incompetence to sink to.

Occam

Posted: 19 January 2010 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  2422
Joined  2007-09-03

not any more.

But if you are somewhat credulous these shows are really bad for you…because they try to seem sincere…..

Posted: 19 January 2010 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

It is rather sad, every channel seems to be clamoring for their own version of “Ghost Hunters.” I’ve even seen a commercial for a show called “psychic kids” in which parents desperate for attention and money encourage their (possibly mentally ill) children to claim they can see and talk to ghosts. If these kids are really hearing voices and hallucinating ghosts, they should be receiving psychiatric help, not being placed on reality TV and encouraged to believe the voices in their head. There is even a show on Animal Planet, about pet ghosts. It’s disgusting.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 20 January 2010 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  441
Joined  2009-12-17
skuld - 19 January 2010 01:29 PM

just wondering.  been seeing a lot of those “ghost hunter’ type programs on the tube lately.

Yes I know quite a lot of people who believe in them.

Posted: 20 January 2010 07:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  350
Joined  2008-12-11

Me too.  A friend wrote a whole book about an early-twentieth-century university lab’s attempt to quantify and qualify such woo: “Unbelievable: Investigations into Ghosts, Poltergeists, Telepathy, and Other Unseen Phenomena, from the Duke Parapsychology Laboratory” (http://www.amazon.com/Unbelievable-Investigations-Poltergeists-Parapsychology-Laboratory/dp/0061116858/ ).

It’s more of a sympathetic biography than a critical history, and because the popular readership is predisposed to believe in “unseen phenomena,” it’ll sell better than a book such as Paul Kurtz’s “Skeptic’s Handbook of Parapsychology, which apparently also addreses that lab’s work (http://www.amazon.com/Skeptics-Handbook-Parapsychology-Paul-Kurtz/dp/0879753005 ).

Posted: 24 January 2010 05:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  352
Joined  2008-04-24

I think the human mind, having developed similarly for all of us, is prone to hallucinations, under certain circumstances, and that ghosts are merely a reflection of that.

Signature 

Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick (Democrat):

“It’s a free country; I wish it weren’t, but it’s a free country.” when speaking of a rally on the Capitol.

Posted: 24 January 2010 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

Our brains developed to look for predators lurking in the dark. It’s no wonder to this day, we are suspicious of things that go bump in the night. Thousands of years ago, that bump might have been a large animal stalking us. Of course today we know it’s not a large predator - and even if it is a predator lurking around our campsite, some may think it’s “bigfoot” or some other nonsense! Is it just that we love the drama?

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 24 January 2010 09:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  74
Joined  2010-01-12

Personally, I dont want to believe in ghosts.  If I believed in ghosts I dont think I could sleep
at night.  My husband has several “ghost stories” he has told me but I’m content in believing
he’s nuts.  My daughter-in-law has a more convincing story about two ghost children, but I
still prefer not to believe it.  The strangest ghost story I ever heard, a little girl on my school
bus told me about a “headless horseman”, she and her dad had both seen it, from their little
cabin in the hills, up a hollow in eastern kentucky.  It was the first time I’d ever heard of an
adult believing in ghosts.  Something tragically ironic happened to that little girl not long after
she told me that.  I dont believe the “ghost story” but I believe it was more than coincidence.
That was about 38 years ago and I’m still trying to wrap my mind around exactly what
happened and who was responsible for it.  I have a very elaborate and convoluted “theory”
that spans nearly five decades and includes a number of suspects and victims but I need
some help in “refining” my theory.  I hope to meet some clear thinkers who wont get too
caught up in the strangeness and phenomenal nonsense and all that, to help me make sense
of it.  Even though I believe in God, I believe He expects me to find answers to life’s questions
within the boundaries of science and reality. 

buster

Posted: 24 January 2010 10:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  2291
Joined  2007-07-05

You shouldn’t BELIEVE in anything.

But you may speculate about paradigms of reality different from what you usually hear. 

What is SHEOL?  What if the system works on reincarnation?  If so then where are the “souls” between incarnations?  Can they manifest in any way?  If human beings can be neurotic while they are incarnate then why couldn’t they be while they are decarnate?  LOL

http://reluctant-messenger.com/reincarnation-proof.htm

Hell is a really dumb idea but it is obvious that the physical universe is a really complicated place.  So if you hypothesize a metaphysical reality then it is likely to be complicated also.

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 24 January 2010 11:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  5976
Joined  2009-02-26
psikeyhackr - 24 January 2010 10:55 PM

You shouldn’t BELIEVE in anything.

But you may speculate about paradigms of reality different from what you usually hear. 

What is SHEOL?  What if the system works on reincarnation?  If so then where are the “souls” between incarnations?  Can they manifest in any way?  If human beings can be neurotic while they are incarnate then why couldn’t they be while they are decarnate?  LOL

http://reluctant-messenger.com/reincarnation-proof.htm

Hell is a really dumb idea but it is obvious that the physical universe is a really complicated place.  So if you hypothesize a metaphysical reality then it is likely to be complicated also.

psik

Here is a speculation. What if the physical and thought presence of a human leaves an universal imprint or memory (there are several such theories)? Could others with a sympathetic or resonant physical and thought presence somehow “receive” or “feel” the other’s stored memory.
We do have several paradigms in physics which speculate on such a universal storehouse. I believe that there is even a theory that the universe itself has a ghost-like aspect to it as well as physical presence.

[ Edited: 25 January 2010 12:01 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 25 January 2010 12:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
Jules - 24 January 2010 06:35 PM

Our brains developed to look for predators lurking in the dark. It’s no wonder to this day, we are suspicious of things that go bump in the night. Thousands of years ago, that bump might have been a large animal stalking us. Of course today we know it’s not a large predator - and even if it is a predator lurking around our campsite, some may think it’s “bigfoot” or some other nonsense! Is it just that we love the drama?

Yes, the Boogie Man has been around for a long time.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 25 January 2010 12:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
UlsterScots432 - 24 January 2010 05:33 PM

I think the human mind, having developed similarly for all of us, is prone to hallucinations, under certain circumstances, and that ghosts are merely a reflection of that.

Perhaps in Ireland the hemp rope (for ships) industry had something to do with the evolution of Leprechauns.

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 25 January 2010 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

To believe in ghosts one would have to believe in some sort of metaphysical world, that is, something that contains angels, gods, heavens, hells, devils, etc.  Since there is absolutely no evidence for such a world, and there has never been any scientifically verifiable evidence of ghosts, only anecdotal reports of hallucinations, there is no reason for me to waste my time believing in them or in any other fairytales.

No, there is no evidence of a “universal imprint or memory” other than what we each remember of the other people we contact, both living and dead.  But that’s in our memories, in no way an indication of the existence of the dead person, either as ghost or some sort of “memory mist” floating in the air.  And no, there are no paradigms in physics that postulate anything of the sort.

Sorry, the version of cannibis from which hemp is made doesn’t contain enough tetrahydrocannabinol to get a mouse high. 

Occam

Posted: 25 January 2010 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  74
Joined  2010-01-12

I believe I understand why people think they see ghosts, especially when its a loved one who
has recently died.  Because someone you live with and you become accustomed to their being
there, then suddenly they are gone, your mind may be distraught but as long as you are
“mourning”, that is, thinking consciously about missing them, you wont “hallucinate” their
presence but, at times when you become lost in thought, out of focus so to speak, your mind
momentarily “forgets” they are gone and subconsiously you may see or hear them, as if
“habitually”, because its what you’re accustomed to.

Sorry, its a little convoluted to try to explain, but I think it happens just as often when people
are living except that it doesn’t seem so phenomenal.  Like when my husband works overtime,
and I’m so accustomed to him leaving and coming home at certain times I sometimes catch
myself talking to him when he isn’t there.  Or I can be going about my business as usual, and
its like I’m thinking he’s in the bathroom, then after it seems like a really long time I go to
check on him to see if he’s all right, and of course he isn’t there, and then I feel silly as I
remember he’s still at work.  Of course I dont freak out and call “ghostbusters” because, as
silly as it seems, it actually makes sense in a way.  I mean, I am a creature of habit after all,
and if I’m sitting here at the computer and I hear settling in the pipes or some other noise that
reminds me of the sounds he makes when he’s in the bathroom, then without really thinking
about it or realizing I’m thinking it, my subconscious mind automatically makes the assumption
he’s there, and once I have that thought in my head, without really noticing I go on thinking it
until I either happen to remember or something proves the thought wrong.

buster

1 of 11

‹‹ Do Fish Feel Pain?      Criminal Profiling ››