3 of 11
does anybody believe in ghosts?
Posted: 12 March 2010 08:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14
stevenlchilds - 12 March 2010 08:07 AM

I experience non physical beings that can knock a piece of wood off a table.  I am not sure what the scientifically provable cause will turn out to be.  I hope it happens in my life time.  I have blogs giving the details.  click my profile for URL if your interested.  Maybe…Thank you!

Hmm ... I believe that if you can prove the existence of such beings, you might be in line for the JREF’s million dollar prize. Which is to say, the chances of your experience being of “non physical beings” is virtually nil.

After all, how would a non physical being knock a piece of wood off a table? The wood only responds to physical force.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 12 March 2010 08:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29
stevenlchilds - 12 March 2010 08:07 AM

I experience non physical beings that can knock a piece of wood off a table.  I am not sure what the scientifically provable cause will turn out to be.

I don’t think you’ll ever find a scientific explanation of why “non physical beings” can knock a piece of wood off a table, but there are many possible psychological explanations why you would believe such a thing:

Ambiguity effect – the avoidance of options for which missing information makes the probability seem “unknown”.
Clustering illusion – the tendency to see patterns where actually none exist.
Illusory correlation – beliefs that inaccurately suppose a relationship between a certain type of action and an effect.

Posted: 12 March 2010 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  90
Joined  2010-03-03

Well, What are the reasons?  I don’t think you can name a single one that could be proven.  You will fail every time.  you can give up now.  Or later LOL

Posted: 12 March 2010 09:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-03

Define physical Doug.  I don’t think you ever will.  Reason fails every time.  The route your on is a dead end.  Do you understand quantum mechanics?  Please explain it to me.

Posted: 12 March 2010 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
stevenlchilds - 12 March 2010 09:32 AM

Define physical Doug.  I don’t think you ever will.  Reason fails every time.  The route your on is a dead end.  Do you understand quantum mechanics?  Please explain it to me.

“Physical” is what’s studied in physics. That’s a good, simple definition. Everything in the universe that we know of is physical, which is to say it falls under physical laws. (It may also fall under other laws, like those of chemistry or biology, but those depend upon the basic physical laws for their instantiation).

Mind coming up with some argument or evidence to show us that “reason fails every time”? Using QM is an odd way to do so, since it’s prototypically well reasoned and predictively accurate. The fact that you don’t understand it is neither here nor there.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 12 March 2010 03:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-03

Come up with proof that physics is about physical I think your argument fails as your reason fails.  Reason fails because our bodies are aware of things we are not aware of. Who makes your heart beat?  These arguments are good practice for something.  Maybe we can take on Shawn Henedy now.  Are you ready?  LOL Have nice day and don’t take the irrational too seriously.  Maybe we should just bifurcate.  Make like a tree and split.

Posted: 12 March 2010 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Total Posts:  731
Joined  2007-06-20
stevenlchilds - 12 March 2010 03:46 PM

Come up with proof that physics is about physical

Huh?  It’s a definition.  Tautologically true.

Signature 

PC

Posted: 12 March 2010 04:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-03

says who?  I say it is wrong.  you can’t prove anything at all.  Tautology fails since we “understand” quantum theory.  The Copenhagen Interpretation says no models are possible.  Prove this is not a dream.  prove this is not a alien movie and we are on a different planet dreaming you are you.  Prove you exist.  You have failed again to explain anything.  It is all subjective.  Tautology means nothing to me.  Do you understand?

[ Edited: 12 March 2010 04:41 PM by stevenlchilds ]

Posted: 12 March 2010 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03
stevenlchilds - 12 March 2010 04:37 PM

Prove this is not a dream.

Hit your thumb with a hammer and see if you wake up.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 12 March 2010 04:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-03

LOL i know what you mean maybe.  I am powerless I am full and still eat.  I am drunk and still drink.  For me hitting the thumb with hammer does not wake me up.  Good thing I have not drunk for 13 years.  Thanks doug

Posted: 12 March 2010 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-03

does anyone believe in synchronisity?  No cause at all to this weird!

Posted: 12 March 2010 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-03

Lets figure out where the donut hole is

Posted: 12 March 2010 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10
stevenlchilds - 12 March 2010 04:37 PM

says who?  I say it is wrong.  you can’t prove anything at all.  Tautology fails since we “understand” quantum theory.  The Copenhagen Interpretation says no models are possible.  Prove this is not a dream.  prove this is not a alien movie and we are on a different planet dreaming you are you.  Prove you exist.  You have failed again to explain anything.  It is all subjective.  Tautology means nothing to me.  Do you understand?

Maybe you can’t prove anything, strictly speaking. But practically speaking, let’s just say you can. If you know something with 95%+ certainty, let’s say it’s “proven”. How’s that sound?

If you’re arguing nothing can be proven and therefore all theories should be abandoned, that’s just impractical.

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 12 March 2010 06:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-03

ok I say there are ghosts or something not yet scientifically proven but none the less real

Posted: 12 March 2010 07:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
stevenlchilds - 12 March 2010 06:58 PM

ok I say there are ghosts or something not yet scientifically proven but none the less real

Saying is cheap. Where’s the evidence?

Signature 

Doug

3 of 11

‹‹ Do Fish Feel Pain?      Criminal Profiling ››