4 of 11
does anybody believe in ghosts?
Posted: 12 March 2010 07:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10
stevenlchilds - 12 March 2010 06:58 PM

ok I say there are ghosts or something not yet scientifically proven but none the less real

Why don’t you value skepticism? It keeps you from believing things that may be false, such as ghosts. You seem to know that personal experience is fallible, so you should also know that it doesn’t make sense to believe in something based solely on a single experience of it, especially based on the experience you described (which has many possible naturalistic explanations).

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 12 March 2010 10:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  90
Joined  2010-03-03

evidence is cheaper

Posted: 12 March 2010 10:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2010-01-28

I’m getting Tao and Descartes in this pudding. Or maybe it wasn’t Tao; maybe it was samsara & illusion of Maya notions. I get mixed up.

But to answer the original question: no, I do not.

Though it can be interesting to note why people believe in ghosts or would want others to. There’s an old Chinese philosopher (pre-Confucian, I think), Mo Tzu, who advised rulers to inculcate a belief in ghosts so that commoners would be scared that if they broke the law, the angry ghosts would come and get them in various unpleasant and deadly ways.

Signature 

His philosophy was a mixture of three famous schools—the Cynics, the Stoics and the Epicureans—and summed up all three of them in his famous phrase, ‘You can’t trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there’s nothing you can do about it, so let’s have a drink.’ - Terry Pratchett

If my ideas had shapes, my head would hurt a lot more. - a professor who shall remain anonymous

Posted: 12 March 2010 10:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-01-28
stevenlchilds - 12 March 2010 10:03 PM

evidence is cheaper

So where’s yours?

Signature 

His philosophy was a mixture of three famous schools—the Cynics, the Stoics and the Epicureans—and summed up all three of them in his famous phrase, ‘You can’t trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there’s nothing you can do about it, so let’s have a drink.’ - Terry Pratchett

If my ideas had shapes, my head would hurt a lot more. - a professor who shall remain anonymous

Posted: 12 March 2010 10:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Total Posts:  5976
Joined  2009-02-26

One thing I have always been curious about is that ghosts apparently need cold air. It seems to accompany them everywhere they go. Perhaps if we drop the temperature to below freezing, these ghosts may become solid.

[ Edited: 12 March 2010 10:24 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 12 March 2010 10:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-03

It is a secret I want the million bucks.  I am calling their bluff.  There is no God greater than me.  Fight me God.  I will succeed where Jacob failed.  Hang in their Jacob.  Have you ever heard of dada.  The artistic nonsense from a while back.  Sometimes Non sense makes lots of sense.  I read a book called “Control Freaks, Who they are and How to Stop Them From Running Your Life.”  It is very good.  It explains the double bind and control traps that you attempt.  *S*  This is so fun!  Thanks

Posted: 12 March 2010 10:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-01-28

And poor lighting? I think poor lighting, especially if it flickers, is conducive to ghosts. Torches in cold dank caves would be best, but urban ghosts have to improvise.

Actually the old Chinese ghosts apparently went about in chariots riding after hunting parties and shooting the people who killed them with big arrows. In broad daylight. *shrugs* Mo Tzu said so! At least…he said *everybody* knew about that one. (Though the people he said it to were reportedly a little skeptical.)

cheese

Signature 

Posted: 12 March 2010 10:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-03

I am skeptical of skeptics.  They would have won in a fair fight.  LOL

Posted: 12 March 2010 10:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  74
Joined  2010-01-12

I think the only way to look at a thing objectively is to actually be objective when you consider
it, rather than making it “conform” to what you want it to be.

The object is, books being knocked off of tables.  First of all, does it only happen in a certain
place or does it seem to happen often at various places you go?  The place or places where
it happens, is it familiar to you or does it tend to happen in places you seldom frequent?
This is important because if you are not familiar with the surroundings you dont know if it
could be due to vibrations caused by nearby trains or a washing machine in its spin cycle or
what.  If it only happens in your home you can begin by checking the obvious, such as winds
or vibrations.  Sometimes structures may be situated against the surrounding landscape in
such a way as to cause a natural “wind tunnel” effect.  By your bringing this up in march, a
commonly windy month, the wind might be a logical avenue to explore.  Just a thought, no
offense intended.  I believe in God myself, but I dont think He would “disturb” us with random
“magic” tricks as that would be too confusing in the greater scheme of things, plus you have
to keep in mind that He doesn’t tend to grant “signs and wonders” for the purpose of proving
Himself to non-believers.  That is not to say that I dont believe in miracles because I do, but
I just think He tends to choose to remain well hidden within the realm of “coincidence”.

buster

Posted: 12 March 2010 11:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Total Posts:  5976
Joined  2009-02-26
stevenlchilds - 12 March 2010 10:30 PM

I am skeptical of skeptics.  They would have won in a fair fight.  LOL

I do not understand why you would consider this a fight. Skeptical people may still be seriously interested in the subject. But they tend to test any general proposition with the first areas of uncertainty and contradiction which come to mind. These probing comments may seem harsh and disdainful, but they do pose legitimate questions, which require a reasoned answer. What are ghosts and why are there ghosts? In science the implications of such a possibility would be staggering. You will not get ready converts among scientists and skeptics in general.  Oh, and I’m sure the people offering the reward will demand proof.
If you can answer these comments and questions with reason and knowledge of the subject, then your arguments will gain in validity. If you cannot, then you may want to consider that any unusual appearing event may well have natural causes.

[ Edited: 13 March 2010 12:29 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 07 September 2010 05:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2010-09-06

ONe time in the middle of the nite on my way bak to bed after goin to bafroom… it was jus lite enuff that i coud see that the bedroom door was about half closed… i thout my wife mite be playin a trick on me so i opened it slowly an reached behind the door to touch her… but ther was jus empty space… so i reached down lower an lower an still jus empty space… an i had reached down so low that i knew it coudnt have been her behind the door… so i looked over at the bed an i coud definately see my wife layin thar… an yet i was havin to push on the door cause it was pushin bak… the harder i pushed the harder it pushed bak at me… an we didnt have a pet at the time so i had no idea what was behind the door an was quite perplexed.!!!

Tim

Posted: 07 September 2010 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Total Posts:  1332
Joined  2010-06-07
skuld - 19 January 2010 01:29 PM

just wondering.  been seeing a lot of those “ghost hunter’ type programs on the tube lately.

I don’t trust something I haven’t experienced for myself. However if I come across one, I’ll have to.

I suspect most people just spook themselves out and attribute random noises and feelings to ghosts.

[ Edited: 07 September 2010 03:33 PM by Gnostikosis ]

Posted: 07 September 2010 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2010-09-06

I saw a ghost when i was about 6 year old… it was durin the day time an it was standin in the kitchen an was as tall as the celin… it was smokey colored an i coud see thru it… i ran out of the house screamin an told my sister (6 years older) about it… she drug me bak in the house to the kitchen an i was fightin tooth an nale ever bit of the way… but to my surprize… when i was forced to look into the kitchen the ghost was gone.!!!

Posted: 07 September 2010 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26

Please learn how to spell.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 07 September 2010 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Total Posts:  5187
Joined  2010-06-16

Please, D_M, one must recognize consistency.  One should expect the level of logic to be correlated with the level of spelling.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

4 of 11

‹‹ Do Fish Feel Pain?      Criminal Profiling ››