Sometimes You gotta look deeper!
Posted: 21 January 2010 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4142
Joined  2008-08-14

They’re out there. Giants of the Music world. Talented folks who choose not to follow the Limelight. Yet the greatest admire them and are inspired by them. Here is one such person.
If you like Guitar Jams Click HERE
Unfortunately Dan is no longer around. The Master of The Telecaster!

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 21 January 2010 10:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  4619
Joined  2007-10-05

Incredible. Danny Gatton used to get a lot of airplay on the local public radio stations when I lived in Kansas City. I accidentally saw him once when I went to a bar on the Country Club Plaza in the late 1970s. We wandered into a bar because we heard some interesting guitar licks as we were walking by. We stayed until closing time, and we got there early.

Thanks for posting this. It brings back great memories.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 22 January 2010 08:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2008-08-14

I thought you might like that Foto. I’m not surprised you saw him before. I just heard someone mention him in passing and checked him out. Wow!

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 22 January 2010 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  122
Joined  2008-06-20

Thanks Vyazma. This guy is/was amazing!

Signature 

I’m not sayin’....
I’m just sayin’....

Posted: 22 January 2010 10:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  695
Joined  2007-10-14

`
One of the greats!  Gatton has always kind of reminded of James Burton, style-wise….....soooooo tasty!

It’s always interesting to watch someone who plays that way (holding a pick and using his other fingers), a way that’s so foreign to me (though it’s certainly not an ‘unusual’ style)

Thanks for posting VYAZMA!

`

Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 23 January 2010 05:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2009-11-03
VYAZMA - 21 January 2010 04:44 PM

If you like Guitar Jams Click HERE

Nice!

Posted: 23 January 2010 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2008-08-14

Axegrrl-So that’s what your name means? smile

Signature 

Posted: 24 January 2010 09:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  352
Joined  2008-04-24

The fluid nature of his licks and tumbles are amazing.  So sad that so many like him (like Roy Buchanan) take their own lives.  Sometimes it seems that extreme artistic ability and creativity are linked with a troubled spirit.  RIP

Signature 

Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick (Democrat):

“It’s a free country; I wish it weren’t, but it’s a free country.” when speaking of a rally on the Capitol.

Posted: 25 January 2010 10:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  695
Joined  2007-10-14
VYAZMA - 23 January 2010 11:10 AM

Axegrrl-So that’s what your name means? :)

`
Yup.  My friend’s husband (who doesn’t know that ‘axe’ is slang for guitar) is apparently ‘troubled’ by this screename of mine.  Then again, he already thinks i’m kind of weird/subversive for introducing his daughters to the Pee-Wee Herman show! 

(because he’s also under the mistaken impression that Pee Wee Herman is a child-molestor *shaking head*)

`

Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’