2 of 2
Michael Schermer & Sam Harris debate Deepak Chopra and Jean Houston at Caltech
Posted: 14 January 2011 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1332
Joined  2010-06-07
Jackson - 08 January 2011 04:40 AM
Reymond7594 - 08 January 2011 12:46 AM

Jackson, I must appreciate you for the links you have shared. I have gone through the links and found the lectures useful. I think whoever will go through the links will be benefited for sure.

Reymond thanks for the comment—

welcome to the forums—there is a lot of thoughtful discussion here and I find I learn a lot.

I think Deepak could have done a better job.
He is an individual who attempts to use science within the scope of his understanding and apply it to his spiritual ideology. However became defensive and got drawn into a religion vs science debate. Intellectually, he should not want to go there. I mean if in his idealism he actually see science having equal if certainly not greater authority in determining our understanding of reality.

When his ideology/beliefs were under attack I think he clearly came down of the side of spirituality/religion having the greater authority.

Posted: 15 January 2011 01:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  491
Joined  2008-02-25
Gnostikosis - 14 January 2011 10:41 AM

When his ideology/beliefs were under attack I think he clearly came down of the side of spirituality/religion having the greater authority.

That’s what I thought also.  He wants science to back up his spiritual/religious beliefs.  For instance, he wants quantum mechanics to back up his Karma like morality that “we are all connected.”  We are supposed to care about what happens to people around the world because we are connected at a quantum or physical level.  That might be a good morality to have, but I don’t see why he needs to bring the laws of physics into it.

2 of 2