new charles darwin movie “too controversial” for US?
Posted: 22 January 2010 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  438
Joined  2009-01-28

Creation, starring Paul Bettany, details Darwin’s “struggle between faith and reason” as he wrote On The Origin of Species. It depicts him as a man who loses faith in God following the death of his beloved 10-year-old daughter, Annie.

Creation: Review, background and the facts
The film was chosen to open the Toronto Film Festival and has its British premiere on Sunday. It has been sold in almost every territory around the world, from Australia to Scandinavia.

However, US distributors have resolutely passed on a film which will prove hugely divisive in a country where, according to a Gallup poll conducted in February, only 39 per cent of Americans believe in the theory of evolution. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/6173399/Charles-Darwin-film-too-controversial-for-religious-America.html

Posted: 22 January 2010 05:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2006-04-03

No, they got a distributor.  Just google “Creation Movie” and your region.  Fandango or some other ticket-purchasing website will come up, or your local theatres will.

Sadly, it seems to be in NY, but not in my sleepy little western NJ town.  I’ll have to wait a little while longer.

Posted: 26 January 2010 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  438
Joined  2009-01-28

the fact that less than 50% of the US population accepts evolution is a national embarrassment.

Posted: 10 March 2011 05:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  1423
Joined  2010-04-22

I just got this movie, and I have to say it’s quite a good drama. Worth checking out.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 10 March 2011 07:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

I think we have already discussed this movie in another thread. I tried watching it but had to turn it off after only a few minutes. They portrayed Darwin as some kind of a mental patient and I remember the special effects made me quite dizzy.

Posted: 10 March 2011 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  4400
Joined  2010-08-15

What I keep wishing for is a new audio book.  David Attenborough’s reading an unabridged “Voyage of the Beagle” now he could inflect the mettle of the Darwin. That would be very cool.  {anyone here have connects to the man wink }  I know there is at least one audio version out there but it soo sucks; totally lacking emotion or insight, like some bored brit school master reading off math lessons.  It’s a long book so it actually wore me down after a while, really took a lot of fun out of the reading. Oh how I longed for Attenborough’s insight filled, enthusiastic Oxford English narrative. . . but I digress.

As for Darwin’s sturm und drang,
Seems, from what I’ve read the man’s struggle had more to do with respecting his wife’s/families sensibilities and appreciating the prickly public masses and the emotions his book would stir up.  After all he did have a family to support and there was other stuff to write about first, and a career to establish.  Not to say he didn’t have his moral or spiritual struggle, but that never seemed any worse than what most us experience ourselves.  Well, that and having his little angel daughter cut down.  Enough to throw anyone into a tail spin.

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 10 March 2011 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

I don’t know how the hell I got through Darwin’s Origin but his Voyage of the Beagle was just wonderful. I only tried listening to an audio book once before and I didn’t like it, but I think I would be interested to hear Attenborough reading the Voyage. Good idea, CC. Send him an email.  smile

Posted: 12 March 2011 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2009-11-10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Odsuv8x67dk

Looks good to me!

Posted: 23 August 2012 11:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  1423
Joined  2010-04-22
TromboneAndrew - 10 March 2011 05:54 AM

I just got this movie, and I have to say it’s quite a good drama. Worth checking out.

I regret that I made this statement. I side now with George, that this movie used some very cheap writing tricks for dramatic effect instead of trying to create an interesting character. Charles Darwin was not a schizophrenic.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 24 August 2012 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2011-08-15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Odsuv8x67dk

Looks good to me!

OMG that’s hilarious! Now we know what happened to the last Dodo! Sherlock Dwarwin, even better than the movie! I hate that because Paul Bettany is one of my favorite actors,  but a movie after all isn’t a documentary.  For the real Darwin read Janet Browne’s biography of him. It’s the most comprehensive view of his life to date including his conversations with and letters to the leading naturalists of his day. All the while fighting hypochondria and depression. He’s definitely a hero of mine. For historical fiction read “To the Edge of the World”. Once again, one of the best.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine