1 of 2
Live Nation, Ticketmaster Merger Gets Approval
Posted: 26 January 2010 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  438
Joined  2009-01-28

The U.S. Justice Department will allow the creation of ticketing and promotions mega-company.

The two biggest names in the concert business are about to become one gigantic one. The U.S. Justice Department on Monday approved the merger of ticketing giant Ticketmaster and concert promoter Live Nation, creating a live entertainment conglomerate the likes of which has never been seen before in the music industry.

Live Nation Entertainment, as the company will now be called, is expected to begin merging its operations as early as Wednesday, and experts predict that the combined forces of the two companies could alter the live music landscape.

According to the Los Angeles Times, the controversial $889 million merger, in the works for nearly a year, came with a number of major concessions to address concerns that the combined companies would possibly have an unfair near-monopoly on ticket sales, with an ability to book concerts, sell tickets and merchandise, and manage such major acts as the Eagles, Christina Aguilera, Guns N Roses and Aerosmith.

full text at http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1630487/20100126/story.jhtml

prepare to get out your wallets…

Posted: 27 January 2010 05:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2009-12-13

Aren’t there acts and groups that boycott Ticketmaster now because of their outlandish pricing? Look for more of this to happen.

Posted: 27 January 2010 07:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

Gotta love those “fees” that cost almost as much as the tickets themselves.

Yes, some groups were boycotting ticket sales practices, however, those two companies control most of the concerts in the country. If an artist wants to tour, it’s very difficult for them to do so in large arenas with exclusive contracts or sweetheart deals. They may still be able to do smaller venues. And if a fan wants to see their favorite artist, they’d be hard pressed to do so without going through those companies.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 27 January 2010 09:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

I refuse to use ticketmaster. I like to go to events in San Francisco, but I would rather pay $10 to catch the BART train into the city to buy the tickets at the box office myself.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 28 January 2010 12:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  695
Joined  2007-10-14

`
All I can say is that I’m sooooo happy I live where I live and can see great talent for $15-25 in very intimate venues.

Needless to say, that ‘great talent’ aren’t stadium-filling artists, but when you see live artists in spaces almost as small as your living room, the stadium thing holds absolutely no interest (for me) anymore.

I get laughed at by my students when I say this, but seriously, the only group I would pay an exorbitant amount to see is ABBA if they ever did any live performing again.

`

Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 28 January 2010 12:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Axegrrl - 28 January 2010 12:19 AM

I get laughed at by my students when I say this, but seriously, the only group I would pay an exorbitant amount to see is ABBA if they ever did any live performing again.`

I would be lined up right behind you! Did you see Mama Mia??

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 28 January 2010 12:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2007-10-14
asanta - 28 January 2010 12:24 AM

I get laughed at by my students when I say this, but seriously, the only group I would pay an exorbitant amount to see is ABBA if they ever did any live performing again.`

`
Not in any ‘live’ format, no!  Although, I did see the movie in the theatre with my goddaughters and we saw the “sing-a-long” version :)  Of course, who was the only one among us singing?  ME!  my goddaughters were all embarrassed and I said to them “you almost never get a ‘free pass’ to sing in public (where people CAN’T tell you to shut up), so when you get it, NEVER pass it up!”

`

Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 28 January 2010 07:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  4626
Joined  2007-10-05
asanta - 28 January 2010 12:24 AM

shut eye

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 28 January 2010 07:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29

As much as I like ABBA and Meryl Streep I didn’t enjoy Mama Mia at all. The movie included more acting with unnecessary exaggeration than a puppet show from a seventeenth century. I actually hated it.

Posted: 28 January 2010 08:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

ABBA has the same effect on me as chalk squeaking across a blackboard. As for Ticketmaster, my wife and I live close enough to Austin that we can see excellent live music any time we want, usually with little or no cover charge.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Posted: 28 January 2010 08:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29
fotobits - 28 January 2010 08:00 AM

ABBA has the same effect on me as chalk squeaking across a blackboard.

Probably how I feel about the electric guitar solos you, guys, seem to be infatuated with…  angry

Posted: 28 January 2010 08:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

Most of my musician type friends play acoustic instruments.

Signature 

Posted: 28 January 2010 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  438
Joined  2009-01-28

another reason i don’t go to arena shows anymore.

Posted: 28 January 2010 10:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2007-10-14
fotobits - 28 January 2010 08:00 AM

ABBA has the same effect on me as chalk squeaking across a blackboard.

`
That’s how I react when I hear RUSH (as talented as they are)

`

Signature 

Posted: 30 January 2010 05:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03
Axegrrl - 28 January 2010 10:45 PM

`
That’s how I react when I hear RUSH (as talented as they are)
`

I love their talent, (drummer especially) but after a while it’s irritating. My husband is always playing their CDs in his car. I keep telling him, “One song, then something else, OK?”  wink

But he listens to them with our son, when he drives him to school in the morning. Now my son really likes them, so I’m out-voted.  LOL

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 30 January 2010 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
George - 28 January 2010 07:36 AM

As much as I like ABBA and Meryl Streep I didn’t enjoy Mama Mia at all. The movie included more acting with unnecessary exaggeration than a puppet show from a seventeenth century. I actually hated it.

I didn’t see the movie, I went to the play. It was a lot of fun to sing along with the songs. I pretty much ignored the weaknesses of the story line and just enjoyed the songs and play.

Signature 

1 of 2