Howard Zinn dies
Posted: 28 January 2010 08:23 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2009-12-24

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/28/us/28zinn.html

The man was prolific and did some great work.  Farewell brother!

Signature 

“Authenticity involves living your life as if you’re actually interested in it.” ~Charles D. Hayes

Posted: 28 January 2010 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2006-04-03

Sad day.  He did live to 87, though.  A nice long life.

I only read A People’s History a few years ago.  It help me remember that fighting for social justice requires the fight.  We can’t just wait for times to get better, we have to make it happen.  Sometimes the fight gets messy or disruptive.  That’s what’s supposed to happen. 

My copy is currently packed up right now (in the middle of moving), so forgive the paraphrase.  There is a Fredrick Douglass quote about never giving up—even when some people think you’ve gone too far.  It reminds me of the “Letter From a Birmingham Jail” by King: when is a good time for me to fight for my rights?  Why should I wait until it’s convenient for you?  They are my rights.

I am an activist by nature.  I believe in fighting hard to get what’s right and fair.  I march, I protest, I confront.  I got tired several years ago of hiding my atheism.  So I stopped hiding.  I just come out and say it.  It’s much better that way.  I’m running for re-election this year and I’m sure it will come up.  I coached it last time, but not this time.  We’ll see what happens!

Fighting the good fight.  Thanks to Howard Zinn for that reminder.

Posted: 31 January 2010 07:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1741
Joined  2007-10-22

HH:

What are you running for and where?

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 01 February 2010 09:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2006-04-03

I live in Western Central New Jersey.  A pretty conservative area, but I’m a Democrat.

I am a councilwoman there.  Elected for the 2008-2010 term.  So, this summer will be spent knocking on doors and asking people to vote for me.  And raising money (hint, hint!!)

We had the majority until this year.  Now the Dems are outnumbered 4-2 and really out of the loop.  Really, it’s pissing me off and making me want to fight!  Howard Zinn would be proud.

Thanks for asking.