2 of 2
Mass Homeopathic Overdose Planned
Posted: 31 January 2010 03:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
HappyHumanist - 30 January 2010 07:21 PM

Asanta,

Now I’m jealous that you got to spend time with PZ.  I have this problem that I envy easily!!  I wish I had the resources to head into NYC to see whomever is lecturing at the Skeptic Society there (missed Phil Plait, ie). 

I read PZ’s blog about the cheesecakes.  I predict an onslaught of orders because of his high praise.  Good luck to your son!

Thank you, I hope so! I also hope PZ comes to your neck of the woods so you won’t have to make the trip to NYC!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 01 February 2010 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14

For those who know a little spanish, HERE is a video of the Círculo Escéptico in Madrid, during the homeopathic overdose.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 01 February 2010 06:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
dougsmith - 01 February 2010 12:04 PM

For those who know a little spanish, HERE is a video of the Círculo Escéptico in Madrid, during the homeopathic overdose.

Swallowing forty tablets (no matter what they are made of) without chewing them (!) cannot be completely harmless.  confused

Posted: 01 February 2010 07:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  4108
Joined  2006-11-28

Well, as I’ve pointed out elsewhere, since homeopathy is more effective the more dilut it is, the more tablets your swallow the safer you are. If the activists had taken just one tablet, they’d probably all be dead now. grin

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 01 February 2010 07:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

How about forty M&Ms;, George?  They’d melt in your stomach, not your mouth. LOL

Occam

Posted: 01 February 2010 07:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

But are they homeopathic M&M’s? They have only the memory of chocolate and candy coating!

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 02 February 2010 07:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
Occam - 01 February 2010 07:14 PM

How about forty M&Ms;, George?  They’d melt in your stomach, not your mouth. LOL

Occam

I just thought that there has a to be a limit to how much unchewed food a stomach can accept. The pills in the video look twice as big as M&Ms;. Would you be willing, Occam, to swallow eighty M&Ms; without chewing them first?

P.S. Something very strange happens after typing “M&Ms;”: a semicolon after “s” is automatically added and cannot be deleted. Weird.

Posted: 02 February 2010 07:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

Well George, consider that some foods we eat may be chewed into “pill size” before swallowing.  I can guarantee my kid does not chew his food as well as he should. LOL The pieces of chicken he swallows are somtimes larger than pills (as I scold him for chewing with mouth open!) He manages to do OK though.

Capsules with a gel coating have a powder inside, which is already “broken down.” The gel coat easily dissolves. Solid tablets are made of what - mostly starch I think? Easily broken down so stomach acid should be no challenge.

And just think of those 60 vitamin pills Suzanne Somers takes every day! She seems to be surviving, except that she has pickled herself and probably has glow-in-the-dark urine.  LOL

But jokes aside, I think stomach acid is a pretty formidable opponent. It would have to be a very large or very tough piece of food to survive that, no?

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 02 February 2010 07:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
Jules - 02 February 2010 07:37 AM

It would have to be a very large or very tough piece of food to survive that, no?

I guess so. But is it a good idea to take that chance when overdosing on homeopathic pills? Probably not a good idea if the activists started to vomit.

Posted: 02 February 2010 08:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
George - 02 February 2010 07:42 AM
Jules - 02 February 2010 07:37 AM

It would have to be a very large or very tough piece of food to survive that, no?

I guess so. But is it a good idea to take that chance when overdosing on homeopathic pills? Probably not a good idea if the activists started to vomit.

Depends entirely on what the inactive ingredients are in the pills. I’d assume they’re completely benign fillers.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 02 February 2010 08:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

I doubt it depends “entirely” on the quality of what we swallow since even a large amount of water can be dangerous.

Posted: 02 February 2010 08:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
George - 02 February 2010 08:09 AM

I doubt it depends “entirely” on the quality of what we swallow since even a large amount of water can be dangerous.

The effect of the quantity will depend entirely on the inactive ingredients. That’s what I meant.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 02 February 2010 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Quoting George: 

Would you be willing, Occam, to swallow eighty M&Ms; without chewing them first?

No, George, with my addiction to chocolate, I’m sure I’d cheat just to get the flavor.  Now, if they didn’t the hard surface and were just chocolate pills, then, sure, I’d be willing to take eighty of them at one sitting,  LOL tongue laugh

Occam

Posted: 15 February 2010 12:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-02-11

I don’t know if it’s in the same in the UK, but in the US you can find in stores some medicines that are labeled as homeopathic but aren’t really formulated according to homeopathic principles, and are likely labeled as homeopathic as thus they don’t have to be studied and proven safe and effective before being sold.There are some which actually contain significant amounts of the active ingredient as it isn’t diluted many times, notable as it will list them as 1X or 2X instead of the more typical 10 or 12X or so.

[ Edited: 16 February 2010 11:30 PM by Ronaldo10 ]

2 of 2