1 of 4
Three New Hosts for Point of Inquiry
Posted: 01 February 2010 10:55 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15398
Joined  2006-02-14

Just got the email today, although I can’t find any mention of this yet on CFI’s website, so I don’t have a link.

Will be hosted by three different people: Chris Mooney, Robert Price and Karen Stollznow. Sounds like Mooney will be doing most of the episodes.

Question: why not have all three of them host, in a discussion format?

Tentative start scheduled for February 12, 2010.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 01 February 2010 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

As I was reading your post, I thought exactly the same thing. I would be nice to have a round table hosting, but perhaps the guest would feel more intimidated talking to three as opposed to one person. Especially if it is a skype interview, as most are nowadays.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 01 February 2010 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
asanta - 01 February 2010 12:50 PM

As I was reading your post, I thought exactly the same thing. I would be nice to have a round table hosting, but perhaps the guest would feel more intimidated talking to three as opposed to one person. Especially if it is a skype interview, as most are nowadays.

Well, Skeptics Guide to the Universe does “round table” skype interviews; they go very well, and are more chatty and informal. But I suppose it depends on what sort of tone they want to set.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 01 February 2010 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

Update: CFI’s press release is HERE, and DJ Grothe has a statement about the changes HERE.

Re. DJ’s statement, I’m sorry that PoI couldn’t be co-produced by CFI and the JREF. That’s a significant loss, IMO.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 01 February 2010 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
dougsmith - 01 February 2010 01:06 PM
asanta - 01 February 2010 12:50 PM

Well, Skeptics Guide to the Universe does “round table” skype interviews; they go very well, and are more chatty and informal. But I suppose it depends on what sort of tone they want to set.

Yes, but usually it is just Steven Novella doing the actual interview. Righteous Indignation does round table interviews very well, but I don’t know what their format is.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 01 February 2010 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
asanta - 01 February 2010 02:37 PM

Yes, but usually it is just Steven Novella doing the actual interview.

I don’t think so, at least not usually; it’s just that he’s a dominant personality and so tends to ask most of the question.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 01 February 2010 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  80
Joined  2007-08-12

Well, I guess I won’t be invited to do another PoI!

I seriously wonder if Chris Mooney can do justice to any but very apologetic bashful atheists.

Posted: 01 February 2010 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
dougsmith - 01 February 2010 02:41 PM
asanta - 01 February 2010 02:37 PM

Yes, but usually it is just Steven Novella doing the actual interview.

I don’t think so, at least not usually; it’s just that he’s a dominant personality and so tends to ask most of the question.

True! LOL

Signature 

Posted: 01 February 2010 03:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  4096
Joined  2006-11-28

The little hints at a deep underbelly of personality politics within CFI always disturb me. DJ apparently was willing to continue as host and also suggested the joint hosting, and while there may be sound reasons for not going ahead with that, there also seems to be some territoriality within CFI that doesn’t reflect well on an organization devoted to a rationalist world view.

I am familiar with Chris Mooney’s work, and he seems an excellent choice. I don’t really know anything about the other two new hosts.

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 01 February 2010 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-12

Well the deep underbelly of personality politics within CFI have been pretty public lately - discussed on the blog, for example.

I was a big fan of Chris Mooney’s The Republican War on Science and Storm World, but with Unscientific America and the barrage of mass media articles that accompanied it (that dude has access), things changed. He’s been saying tendentious, unfair and inaccurate things about people he chooses to call ‘the New Atheists’ (or things like ‘the New Atheist Noise Machine’) in mass circulation magazines and newspapers ever since last May - the biologist Jerry Coyne prominent among them. I think this makes him a very non-ideal host for Point of Inquiry - not least because by now so many people cordially loathe him.

Posted: 01 February 2010 04:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  731
Joined  2007-06-20
dougsmith - 01 February 2010 10:55 AM

Will be hosted by three different people: Chris Mooney, Robert Price and Karen Stollznow. Sounds like Mooney will be doing most of the episodes.

Oh dear.  It may be a challenge for me to put aside my prejudices re Mooney as fueled by P.Z. Myers.  I shall endeavor to do so.

Signature 

PC

Posted: 01 February 2010 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  4848
Joined  2007-10-05

I’m afraid I agree with Ophelia on this one. Chris Mooney damaged his credibility with Unscientific America and has been digging himself into a deeper hole since publication. I’ll keep my iTunes subscription to PoI, but DJ Grothe set the bar very high and I will be surprised if Mooney can maintain that standard.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 01 February 2010 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-12

Exactly - DJ set the bar very high. I was pleased for him and for JREF but very sad for PofI! And now…

Posted: 01 February 2010 05:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2010-01-26

I have mixed feelings about Chris Mooney, but I’m going to keep an open mind.

I love Robert Price, I’m curious to see how he’ll be interviewing someone, as he seems to have a very strong personality and a lot to say!

I like the idea of having more than one host, maybe that will mean the new episodes will come out more regularly?

Signature 

http://struckbyenlightning.wordpress.com

Posted: 01 February 2010 09:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-02-01

FYI, here’s Russell Blackford’s take on it:

http://metamagician3000.blogspot.com/2010/02/mooney-goes-to-point-of-inquiry.html

He’s not too pleased with the choice of Chris Mooney, either.

(PS. This is my first post here, but it’s just coincidental. I noticed Blackford’s post tonight, after recently registering for this forum.)

Posted: 02 February 2010 05:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-01-28

Well, so much for POI. There’s no way I’m listening to it with Mooney hosting. DJ made the show. Thank goodness the JREF has launched a new podcast, For Good Reason with DJ hosting: http://www.forgoodreason.org/... Now, granted, I should probably give the new hosts a chance (and I like Stolltznow), but, then, I listen to lots of podcasts already and, essentially FGR is POI, with another name. And POI is now something else.

RIP POI…

1 of 4