1 of 2
Ideas for Podcast/Forum Integration?
Posted: 17 February 2010 07:35 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15343
Joined  2006-02-14

Forumites,

We’re trying to brainstorm some ideas for better linking Point of Inquiry with the Forum, to get people to visit us here after hearing the podcast.

Some ideas:

(1) Mentioning a discussion thread that will be started up after the podcast, with a particular question that could be discussed or debated.

(2) Mentioning a discussion thread from a past podcast, perhaps touching on some things that were discussed.

(3) Including some form of quiz or question on the podcast, which people could try to answer in a discussion thread on the Forum.

What do you all think about these sorts of ideas, or other ideas? I’m sure with our combined brainpower here we can come up with some neat ways to get folks interested and involved.

NB: of course, the podcasters themselves will have the final say in what they want to do, but I know Chris Mooney at least is interested in getting some feedback.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 17 February 2010 08:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  9292
Joined  2006-08-29

These are all very good ideas, Doug. But how about instead of linking the podcast to the the forum you reverse it? Why doesn’t Chris announce the topic and the guest for the following week in advance, we’ll get a chance to discuss it here first, and perhaps have the guest answer a question or two from one of the “forumites.” (Asked by Chris, of course.) And to add to everybody’s excitement, Chris could even announce the name of the person who asked the question or made the comment.

Posted: 17 February 2010 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  4065
Joined  2006-11-28

I think George’s idea is an excellent one. Gettting the community involved ahead of time will certainly stimulate interest in the podcast.

Though I know it might not also be possible, having the guest involved to some extent in followup discussion would also be great. When this has happened in the past it has generated some of the best POI threads.

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 17 February 2010 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
mckenzievmd - 17 February 2010 09:56 AM

Gettting the community involved ahead of time will certainly stimulate interest in the podcast.

Yes, but what I was after was having more people to participate on our forum.

[ Edited: 18 February 2010 06:44 AM by George ]

Posted: 17 February 2010 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  4065
Joined  2006-11-28

Yes, I got that. I just saw the goal of greater integration as working both ways. People will be more interested in POI if the are engaged in discussion about the subjects of specific episodes, and this then encourages them to come to the forum and be so engaged.

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 18 February 2010 02:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2010-02-11

I really like the idea of announcing the guest beforehand, and getting some questions and thoughts ginned up in the forums, and then asking some of those on the show itself. That sounds like a good plan. Hmm. Maybe I should announce our next guest….

I will also encourage guests to go to the forum and participate, but that may be trickier with some people’s schedules.

cm

Posted: 18 February 2010 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

The one issue I see with getting questions lined up in advance is that it’d be easier for well known guests. For guests who aren’t as well known, it might be tough to find lots of questions until we actually hear the interview. But it’s a good idea and worth a try.

Any other ideas out there? Keep ‘em coming.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 19 February 2010 07:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

How about dedicating one entire episode of PoI (say, once a year) to our forum? Chris could have you, Doug and Brennen, on the show talk about the importance of community, exchange of ideas (you could make a comparison to 17th century Netherlands), etc.

Posted: 19 February 2010 07:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2010-02-12
dougsmith - 18 February 2010 03:50 PM

The one issue I see with getting questions lined up in advance is that it’d be easier for well known guests. For guests who aren’t as well known, it might be tough to find lots of questions until we actually hear the interview. But it’s a good idea and worth a try.

Are you kidding? With this group? Give it a go, Doug. I’ll bet real money* that over the course of the next year, you won’t have one single instance where a guest was announced ahead of time and this crew didn’t do their homework and come up with at least one good question.

Besides, even if we miss once in a while, that hardly spells the end of the idea, let alone the end of the podcast.

*OK, make it monopoly money. Not enough of the real stuff around these parts to bet with.

Posted: 19 February 2010 07:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

Right, BB, that’s why I say give it a try.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 19 February 2010 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2010-02-11

I think we’re set, then. I will announce my next guest on Monday….

Posted: 20 February 2010 10:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03
CMooney - 18 February 2010 02:43 AM

I really like the idea of announcing the guest beforehand, and getting some questions and thoughts ginned up in the forums, and then asking some of those on the show itself. That sounds like a good plan. Hmm. Maybe I should announce our next guest….

I will also encourage guests to go to the forum and participate, but that may be trickier with some people’s schedules.

cm

It is hard to generalize—sometimes there are links or references to other info on the topic in the forum—- sometimes it is a book which is already out, and there are reviews (or someone on the forum has read it).  Sometimes it is a topic with which folks are familiar.

It has actually been kind of neat the few times a guest has commented. 

By the way thanks for taking this one!

Posted: 21 February 2010 09:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
dougsmith - 17 February 2010 07:35 AM

(3) Including some form of quiz or question on the podcast, which people could try to answer in a discussion thread on the Forum.

How would you go about this, Doug? It would have to be something that is not easily googlable, no? Could be very difficult.

How about something like this: What does Leonard Cohen refer to in his song Hallelujah (I prefer K.D. Lang’s version) where he sings:

Now I’ve heard there was a secret chord
That David played, and it pleased the Lord
But you don’t really care for music, do you?

Did Cohen get this from the Bible?

Posted: 21 February 2010 09:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
George - 21 February 2010 09:17 AM
dougsmith - 17 February 2010 07:35 AM

How would you go about this, Doug? It would have to be something that is not easily googlable, no? Could be very difficult.

How about something like this: What does Leonard Cohen refer to in his song Hallelujah (I prefer K.D. Lang’s version) where he sings:

Now I’ve heard there was a secret chord
That David played, and it pleased the Lord
But you don’t really care for music, do you?

Did Cohen get this from the Bible?

That’s an option, sure. Also, on the Skeptic’s Guide podcast they have a quiz called “Who’s that Noisy?” where they play an audio track and ask people to guess what it is. (Guess the person speaking, the occasion, the natural or artificial phenomenon, etc.) It’s hard to Google that sort of question.

But even on a verbal question, it would also be easy enough to run some Google searches beforehand just to be sure that whatever question was being asked would not be easily Googlable.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 21 February 2010 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

I have never listened to the Skeptic’s Guide podcast before but that sounds like a very good idea.

BTW, does anyone know what David had to do with music? What is Cohen talking about?

Posted: 21 February 2010 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03
George - 21 February 2010 10:14 AM

I have never listened to the Skeptic’s Guide podcast before but that sounds like a very good idea.

BTW, does anyone know what David had to do with music? What is Cohen talking about?

This an allusion to the old testament King David {you probably knew that much}
“cultural literacy” encourages us to know about the stories of King David—“David and Goliath”, “David and Bathsheba”, etc.

This BBC link has a pretty good well-rounded discussion.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7787355.stm

1 of 2