1 of 2
What if humanity is divided between two types?
Posted: 06 March 2010 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1783
Joined  2008-08-09

Musings on the Adam and Eve and snake and apple story.

The one type says:
Yes, I would take a bite from that apple of knowledge along with the cold nights that may bring with it.

The other type says: For shame, for shame, hide from that apple of knowledge.
‘Tis better to huddle in the security of thy’n little FaithBased den.

Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus is not formed by scientists !
The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 06 March 2010 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  4447
Joined  2008-08-14
citizenschallenge - 06 March 2010 10:43 AM

The one type says:
Yes, I would take a bite from that apple of knowledge along with the cold nights that may bring with it.

CC everyone takes a bite from the apple. Every last person who ever lived, and who will live. The people can be divided into:
Those who eat the apple and endure cold nights, and those who eat the apple and enjoy luxury. But everyone bites the apple.
Huddling in any security be it faith-based or otherwise is “biting the apple”.
Those who have figured out how to profit from the apple biters are the ones who control. And that is their “apple bite”.

[ Edited: 06 March 2010 03:38 PM by VYAZMA ]
 Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 07 March 2010 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  6012
Joined  2009-02-26

The one type says:

Or one could say, I took the bite so that I would be able to build a fire for those cold nights.
And the other took the bite to figure out how to sell you the firewood.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 08 March 2010 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10

The one type says:

And so we see the association between science and satanism. If you go to the church of satan website you’ll actually see some similarities, which is kind of unfortunate for us.

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 08 March 2010 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
domokato - 08 March 2010 12:38 PM

The one type says:

And so we see the association between science and satanism. If you go to the church of satan website you’ll actually see some similarities, which is kind of unfortunate for us.

Perhaps I am misreading your statement, but if you feel that atheism is inherently evil, then:
Knowledge of good and evil is evil? I can go to any church or read the Bible or the Koran and I could make a case that it was satanic.
One does not have to be evil to be a non believer. There is undeniable proof that more evil has been committed in the name of God and religion in general than in the name of Atheism and secularism.
Anyone who has a knee jerk response, automatically comparing atheism with the devil, makes them more dangerous than someone who thinks rationally about metaphysical matters.

[ Edited: 08 March 2010 01:24 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 08 March 2010 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2008-08-09

Oh God! If you go to any church you’ll find people weaving out their fantasies.
That doesn’t mean those fantasies are anything more than:  In Their Heads

Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 08 March 2010 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
citizenschallenge - 08 March 2010 01:45 PM

Oh God! If you go to any church you’ll find people weaving out their fantasies.
That doesn’t mean those fantasies are anything more than:  In Their Heads

The last time I was in church, the minister exhorted his flock to never hire or do business with anyone who was not a Christian, regardless of their skills or product quality. Now if that is not evil, what is? It certainly was not in the American spirit of democracy.
Unfortunately, it was impossible for me to display my disgust by standing up and leaving, without bringing embarrassment to the people I was accompanying. Thus I did the right (good) thing and suffered through the rest of this evil minister’s rantings.
Now I can laugh at the irony of the situation, but at the time it was abhorrent to my humanistic sensibilities.

[ Edited: 08 March 2010 03:47 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

W4U

Posted: 08 March 2010 07:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10
Write4U - 08 March 2010 01:11 PM

The one type says:

Perhaps I am misreading your statement, but if you feel that atheism is inherently evil, then:
Knowledge of good and evil is evil? I can go to any church or read the Bible or the Koran and I could make a case that it was satanic.
One does not have to be evil to be a non believer. There is undeniable proof that more evil has been committed in the name of God and religion in general than in the name of Atheism and secularism.
Anyone who has a knee jerk response, automatically comparing atheism with the devil, makes them more dangerous than someone who thinks rationally about metaphysical matters.

Um, I suppose my writing was kind of ambiguous, but by “us” I meant “us atheists”. And it’s only unfortunate insofar as it gives religious people ammo, albeit imaginary ammo smile

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 08 March 2010 07:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

We’re on the same page then….is comforting. cool smile

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 10 March 2010 02:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  308
Joined  2009-11-30

Consider that Eve first ate of the Apple ( that gave her the knowledge of good and evil), and she still asked Adam to eat of it.
It was God that gave Adam free will to say no, but he was manipulated by Eve to eat it ( who was fooled by the snake ).

The point where Adam choose to eat of the apple is the origin of sin. Only Adam is to blame, for he had Free Will to follow the Law (of paradise) that God had proclaimed.

Obviously there is a point of separation between humanity: those that believe in God and his word, and those that do not believe (in what is higher then what they can concieve).

“choose” wisely.

The 5 senses are empty of identity, so what is it that is trying to survive?

[ Edited: 10 March 2010 02:30 AM by WeeDie ]
 Signature 

“If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him.” -Voltaire
“It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry.” - Thomas Paine
“It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” - Carl Sagan
“It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country and mankind its citizens.” - Baha’u'llah

Posted: 10 March 2010 02:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
WeeDie - 10 March 2010 02:25 AM

Consider that Eve first ate of the Apple ( that gave her the knowledge of good and evil), and she still asked Adam to eat of it.
It was God that gave Adam free will to say no, but he was manipulated by Eve to eat it ( who was fooled by the snake ).

The point where Adam choose to eat of the apple is the origin of sin. Only Adam is to blame, for he had Free Will to follow the Law (of paradise) that God had proclaimed.

Obviously there is a point of separation between humanity: those that believe in God and his word, and those that do not believe (in what is higher then what they can concieve).

“choose” wisely.

And what is this word that will identify god or man for that matter?

And last I heard it is precisely the 5 senses that gives us the ability to find our identity in nature, just like any other animal, but with a more sophisticated brain (in some respects). If you mean for what purpose, how about survival? Personally I have equal respect for all living things that have managed to survive after some 3.5 billion years. Seems that god has favored them equally, even without the word. What I do believe is evil, is the wanton pollution of our oceans, without regard or respect for the intelligent creatures who live there. To arrogantly assume that we alone have a right to this planet, is evil, but is facilitated by any religion that grants man dominion over life on earth. Please let science inform us of the state of this world. Knowledge of good and evil is still based on the processing of reliable information.
http://www.fossilmuseum.net/GeologicalTimeMachine.htm
http://www.fossilmuseum.net/Paleobiology/Preambrian_Paleobiology.htm

[ Edited: 10 March 2010 04:06 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

W4U

Posted: 10 March 2010 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2008-08-09
WeeDie - 10 March 2010 02:25 AM

Hmmm care to elucidate.

Write4U - 10 March 2010 02:40 AM

Knowledge of good and evil is still based on the processing of reliable information.
http://www.fossilmuseum.net/GeologicalTimeMachine.htm
http://www.fossilmuseum.net/Paleobiology/Preambrian_Paleobiology.htm

Awesome website, wasn’t familiar with that one, but I sure will become familiarized with it.
thanks for sharing.

Signature 

Posted: 11 March 2010 03:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2009-11-30

“In all living cells - proteins answer for both form and function.”

Form IS function because form is in reactive state - against - it’s environment.

The inertia of a body is always trying to preserve its integrity.

“Time”, is the conception of how Being comes into Play from Nothing.

But really, “Time” is not happening.

Nowadays people believe that Light is static,
which gives rise to the conception of relativity.

But darkness (of space) gives light passage.
Space moves less then light.
So really, space is more absolute (considering it’s density in relation to other densities all equals zero) then (the speed of) light.

Einstein was WRONG.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativity_of_simultaneity
http://deoxy.org/annex/cwl.htm

[ Edited: 11 March 2010 03:17 AM by WeeDie ]
 Signature 

“It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” - Carl Sagan
“It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country and mankind its citizens.” - Baha’u'llah

Posted: 12 March 2010 02:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
WeeDie - 11 March 2010 03:11 AM

“In all living cells - proteins answer for both form and function.”
Form IS function because form is in reactive state - against - it’s environment.
The inertia of a body is always trying to preserve its integrity.
“Time”, is the conception of how Being comes into Play from Nothing.
But really, “Time” is not happening.
Nowadays people believe that Light is static,
which gives rise to the conception of relativity.
But darkness (of space) gives light passage.
Space moves less then light.
So really, space is more absolute (considering it’s density in relation to other densities all equals zero) then (the speed of) light.
Einstein was WRONG.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativity_of_simultaneity
http://deoxy.org/annex/cwl.htm

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/theodore_drange/definition.html

[ Edited: 12 March 2010 02:58 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

W4U

Posted: 12 March 2010 03:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2009-11-30

(1) Does the sentence “God exists” express a proposition?
Yes.
(2) If so, then is that proposition true or false?
G-o-d IS a sound that makes different associations to Images in different people.
Does something larger then what we are able to conceptualize exist?
The answer is no.

However, it should be fairly obvious that that which gives rise to conceptualization is of a power, higher, or beyond that of conciousness.

Listen to your heart for a clue.

Signature 

Posted: 12 March 2010 05:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
WeeDie - 12 March 2010 03:34 AM

(1) Does the sentence “God exists” express a proposition?
Yes.
(2) If so, then is that proposition true or false?

It depends on your conception of god.

G-o-d IS a sound that makes different associations to Images in different people.

ok, as an ex musician I can go with that. (To the symphony of life no one has the score)

Does something larger then what we are able to conceptualize exist? The answer is no.

I believe the answer is yes, in the sense that we cannot conceivably conceptualize all of it or know that we are correct.

However, it should be fairly obvious that that which gives rise to conceptualization is of a power, higher, or beyond that of conciousness.

Possibly, but it does not have to be intelligent.

Listen to your heart for a clue.

My heart (intuition) tells me there is a causality, my mind tells me it cannot be a living, thinking, purposeful Being. My own metaphysical construct (paradigm) is that of Universal Potential. I am still working on it in a philosophical sense.

[ Edited: 12 March 2010 05:34 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

W4U

1 of 2