Episode 3—the Future of Secularism (Church-State Separation) Part I
Posted: 11 March 2010 09:42 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03

http://www.centerforinquiry.net/centerstage/episodes/episode_3_-_the_future_of_secularism_part_1
A panel titled “The Future of Secularism” brought together a Who’s Who of experts on church-state separation: Derek Araujo, corporate counsel for the Center for Inquiry; Eddie Tabash, chair of the Center’s First Amendment Task Force; Dan Barker, co-president of the Freedom from Religion Foundation; Barry Lynn, executive director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State; and Free Inquiry editor Tom Flynn.

This was a good discussion—technical quality of the recording of the panelists is very high—These are sharp and articulate guys.  Tabash and Flynn have been interviewed on Point of Inquiry.  The next episode has part II which includes question/answer - the questions are about atheism/secularism in general and kind of interesting.

One of the panelists mentioned showing a dollar bill from the 1950s to his students to show them that “in God we Trust” is something modern—if you check on Ebay 1957 has the In God We Trust but 1943 does not.

Slightly random Questions include “how to be friends with theists” and “is atheism an religion” a topic we have discussed on the forum.  Matthew LaClair is mentioned (part II). Panelists should be coached to repeat the question in case the questioner flubs the mike…

[ Edited: 12 March 2010 03:45 AM by Jackson ]

Posted: 11 March 2010 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

I just found Center Stage, and I really like what I have heard so far. I am in the process of working my way through the back podcasts.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 03 August 2010 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2010-07-24

Me too; just finished Episode 4.

I admit to finding Dr. Kurtz’s lectures in Eps 1 and 2 a little long-winded, but this was one of the best discussions I’ve listened to in a long while!

Too bad some of the questions asked by the audience cut in and out (technically in ep4, but there’s no thread).

[ Edited: 03 August 2010 07:42 PM by Hardcore ]