1 of 3
Randi “Comes Out” at 81
Posted: 21 March 2010 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

I haven’t listened to the episode yet, but on on the most recent episode of For Good Reason, Randi comes out as a gay man.

Congrats to Randi, and to DJ for the program!  grin

Update: it’s a very nice program, with an interesting look into Randi’s life. Gives a sense of the man.

[ Edited: 21 March 2010 11:14 AM by dougsmith ]
 Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 21 March 2010 01:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  731
Joined  2007-06-20

Bravo, Randi. Congratulations.  I hope coming out at 81 is as thrilling and affirming for you as it was for me at 19.  I also hope you haven’t missed much of the fun in the meantime. <wink> <wink>

Signature 

PC

Posted: 21 March 2010 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  5976
Joined  2009-02-26

The truth shall set you free. You have my deep respect.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 21 March 2010 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

Good for him! I wish him happiness and newfound freedom.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 21 March 2010 05:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

I have an immense amount of respect for Randi. On the other hand, the christians who KNOW he will burn in hell, will have the certainty level ramped up, knowing he is gay. I suppose they will have to find a new section of hell to place him, can’t have him mixing with the heteros where he could corrupt! wink

I took a look at his website, the comments are very heartwarming….of course I expected no less from rationalists!!

[ Edited: 21 March 2010 06:07 PM by asanta ]
 Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 21 March 2010 07:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  258
Joined  2010-02-28

Good on him!

Let’s hope for a future where individuals don’t have to torture themselves thinking themselves “unnatural”, deserving of eternal punishment or feel the need to hide part of their identity.

Signature 

http://watchingthedeniers.wordpress.com/

Posted: 22 March 2010 10:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

i can understand his motivation, but I still feel it unfortunate that anyone even cares about inconsequential factors like sexual orientation, skin pigmentation, gender, etc. when what is really important is the minds and ideas of people.  Whether one is uni-, hetero-, homo-, bi-, omni-, or post- sexual should only matter to the person and his/her partners (and maybe someone who hopes to be a partner). 

Occam

Posted: 23 March 2010 12:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14
Occam - 22 March 2010 10:39 PM

i can understand his motivation, but I still feel it unfortunate that anyone even cares about inconsequential factors like sexual orientation, skin pigmentation, gender, etc. when what is really important is the minds and ideas of people.  Whether one is uni-, hetero-, homo-, bi-, omni-, or post- sexual should only matter to the person and his/her partners (and maybe someone who hopes to be a partner). 

Quite so, and indeed he basically said as much on the show.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 23 March 2010 12:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

Yes, unless I plan to sleep with someone, their sexual orientation is not something that ever crosses my mind..I’ve never understood why anyone would imagine it was any of their business if the object of their affection is an adult and able to consent, and it is not an abusive relationship. It boggles the mind that people who will look the other way when a man beats the crap out of his wife and kids because it is none of his business, will get up in arms about two men or two women daring to love each other!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 23 March 2010 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  4626
Joined  2007-10-05

I saw the episode when it downloaded Sunday and figured I should put it in queue for listening. Maybe I should bump it up the queue. I probably would if I cared about Randi’s sexual orientation. I’m far more interested in his work busting charlatans, at which he is a genius. As others, I am glad to see Randi live long enough he feels comfortable coming out, but I am also somewhat dismayed this is even an issue in the 21st century.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 23 March 2010 11:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  475
Joined  2008-03-08
DarronS - 23 March 2010 05:04 PM

I saw the episode when it downloaded Sunday and figured I should put it in queue for listening. Maybe I should bump it up the queue. I probably would if I cared about Randi’s sexual orientation. I’m far more interested in his work busting charlatans, at which he is a genius. As others, I am glad to see Randi live long enough he feels comfortable coming out, but I am also somewhat dismayed this is even an issue in the 21st century.

I’m with Darron (like the name change). I guess I just can’t understand how difficult it might’ve been for someone who has gone through the times that he’s grown up in or maybe just for homosexuals in general, but I would’ve guessed that this wouldn’t really be THAT much of an issue for someone like him. Good for him. but it’s not much of an issue of concern for me.

Posted: 24 March 2010 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  174
Joined  2007-02-21
Occam - 22 March 2010 10:39 PM

Whether one is uni-, hetero-, homo-, bi-, omni-, or post- sexual should only matter to the person and his/her partners (and maybe someone who hopes to be a partner).

Perhaps you’ve never had to suffer the indignity of being introduced as your partner’s “friend” but there are significant social aspects to an individuals sexual orientation and it is a very public matter.

For example, couples are frequently recognized as such in social dynamics and without coming out there are no cues that the same-sex individual standing at Randi’s side at TAM or on a JREF cruise could be his partner. Remember, people are assumed heterosexual by default.

Sexual orientation is not merely about having sex and reducing it to such in the context of an individual coming out seems a little heterosexist.

[ Edited: 24 March 2010 09:28 PM by Thomas Donnelly ]

Posted: 24 March 2010 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  4052
Joined  2006-11-28

Not that Occam needs any defending, of course, but I had the feeling his remark was simply one way of expressing a reaction many of us have about Randi coming out, which is simply that it is mystifying and sad that such a public declaration is still necessary or seen as relevant. Many of us are fortunate enough to live in communities where being open about non-hetero sexual identity is common enough to seem ordinary and unremarkable, and being reminded of the fact that in most of even recent history, and in many places still today, such an identity must either be hidden or in some sense defiantly proclaimed, often at personal risk, is jarring and disturbing. Sexual identity certainly has dimensions other than the act of sex itself, but I wonder if this is true only because of the improper assignemnt of moral judgement to sexual identity.

Are homosexuals and heterosexuals different in ways that are important or relevant to worth or social function or standing? Or is the only real difference sexual partner preference, and the rest of the apparent difference merely baggage piled on by intolerance? I don’t know if the answer is really known, but those of us who believe is social and political equality for people of all sexual preferences tend to assume that most of the presumed differences are either inconsequential (say, aethetics) or artificial and imposed by stereotypes. I wonder if this seems heterosexist? It sounds a lot like the debates about whether or not to emphasize or de-emphasize differences between sexes and ethnicities in the quest for social and political equality. Tough issues.

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 24 March 2010 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

I was going to respond to you, Thomas, but Brennen did an excellent job of doing so.  In addition, as the parent of a lesbian child, I understand the pain that homosexual couples can be exposed to.  I wasn’t minimizing that.  Rather, I was saying that it’s unfortunate that our society is so benighted that it causes that pain for individuals in a number of groups they focus their stupid anger, confusion, and “moral” indignation on.

Occam

Posted: 24 March 2010 06:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  4142
Joined  2008-08-14
mckenzievmd - 24 March 2010 04:23 PM

Not that Occam needs any defending, of course, but I had the feeling his remark was simply one way of expressing a reaction many of us have about Randi coming out, which is simply that it is mystifying and sad that such a public declaration is still necessary or seen as relevant. Many of us are fortunate enough to live in communities where being open about non-hetero sexual identity is common enough to seem ordinary and unremarkable, and being reminded of the fact that in most of even recent history, and in many places still today, such an identity must either be hidden or in some sense defiantly proclaimed, often at personal risk, is jarring and disturbing. Sexual identity certainly has dimensions other than the act of sex itself, but I wonder if this is true only because of the improper assignemnt of moral judgement to sexual identity.

Are homosexuals and heterosexuals different in ways that are important or relevant to worth or social function or standing? Or is the only real difference sexual partner preference, and the rest of the apparent difference merely baggage piled on by intolerance? I don’t know if the answer is really known, but those of us who believe is social and political equality for people of all sexual preferences tend to assume that most of the presumed differences are either inconsequential (say, aethetics) or artificial and imposed by stereotypes. I wonder if this seems heterosexist? It sounds a lot like the debates about whether or not to emphasize or de-emphasize differences between sexes and ethnicities in the quest for social and political equality. Tough issues.

Well we have complete evidence that the differences are important and relevant to social function and standing. Worth? I don’t know. Above someone “hoped for a future” in which these differences can be rectified, or nullified.(paraphrase)
We live in the now. And these wranglings will effect the future. But these wranglings are more than just slack-jawed bigotry. They are real, and they are real “fruit” of an actual anthropological-sociological system in process. Let’s not forget the real human side of the story before we jump to ideological/macro-vision.
Whatever makes people gay is the same thing that makes people recoil from homosexuality. The same thing.
Mc Kenz I used your post as a jump-off because I thought it was very objective and asked good questions.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 24 March 2010 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  4052
Joined  2006-11-28

Whatever makes people gay is the same thing that makes people recoil from homosexuality. The same thing.

How so? I’m not sure what this means.

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

1 of 3