1 of 2
Torchwood
Posted: 30 March 2010 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

Has anyone else seen this series? Hubby and I just finished the first season on Netflix, and are starting the second season.

It’s a fun show, sort of like Dr. Who, except with romance, booze, and some casual sex thrown in…  tongue wink

http://www.bbc.co.uk/torchwood/

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 31 March 2010 03:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03
Jules - 30 March 2010 03:25 PM

Has anyone else seen this series? Hubby and I just finished the first season on Netflix, and are starting the second season.

It’s a fun show, sort of like Dr. Who, except with romance, booze, and some casual sex thrown in…  tongue wink

http://www.bbc.co.uk/torchwood/

I haven’t watched it—but I know that it is sort of a spin-off of Dr. Who and the main character was introduced in an episode I saw.  I like Dr. Who but it can be a little “formulaic” at times—kind of have to be in the right mood.

Posted: 31 March 2010 05:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

Torchwood has a lot of recurring guest characters from the Dr. Who series (which I’ve seen some of). Like Dr. Who, it can be a bit cheesy or predictable at times - costumed aliens and such. But the characters are so much fun that I don’t care. They’ve got a bit of a cult following, I hear, with fansites and conventions and such. The characters are all quirky and so much fun. I adore the actors! They did not pick cookie-cutter Hollywood style generic actors. I like that.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 31 March 2010 05:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  258
Joined  2010-02-28

Love the new Dr. Who, though a few seasons behind now. DVD in Australia is outrageously expensive.

Started S.1 of TW, but didn’t inspire me enough.

Gonna go back and try again methinks.

Signature 

http://watchingthedeniers.wordpress.com/

Posted: 31 March 2010 06:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

Mike the first couple of episodes were so-so, but the pace picks up. The characters evolve as the directors realize which characters the audience is responding to and gives them more of a main role, while lessening those that don’t have much spark.

For example, Ianto, who I would describe as almost the “butler” or low-level employee at the organization, evolves over the course of the first and second season into a character so witty and charming, you wonder why they didn’t put him up front and center to begin with.

Signature 

Posted: 31 March 2010 07:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  258
Joined  2010-02-28
Jules - 31 March 2010 06:56 AM

Mike the first couple of episodes were so-so, but the pace picks up. The characters evolve as the directors realize which characters the audience is responding to and gives them more of a main role, while lessening those that don’t have much spark.

For example, Ianto, who I would describe as almost the “butler” or low-level employee at the organization, evolves over the course of the first and second season into a character so witty and charming, you wonder why they didn’t put him up front and center to begin with.

OK, now I’m going to give it another shot. I need some good escapism smile

Signature 

http://watchingthedeniers.wordpress.com/

Posted: 31 March 2010 08:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2007-07-05

I saw the first episode years ago.  It’s a kind of British X-Files/Men In Black.

Its not on Hulu but it is on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZSg99KRVD4

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 31 March 2010 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2008-06-03
psikeyhackr - 31 March 2010 08:24 AM

I saw the first episode years ago.  It’s a kind of British X-Files/Men In Black.

Its not on Hulu but it is on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZSg99KRVD4

psik

Thanks for the link. I think the first season came out in 2007 or 2008? Now that Netflix offers entire series on DVD, I’m watching shows I never would have scheduled time for otherwise. I’m going back to some great series that have come out in the past couple of years that I’ve missed.

I might not have picked this one in particular, my husband actually ordered it on Netflix (we get the DVDs and the Netflix streaming to X-Box service, which streams it to our TV instead of computer. Neat service, quality of picture depends on bandwidth available at the time though, so it varies).

As with so many other series I end up enjoying, my husband starts watching it while I’m on the computer or doing chores, and I overhear the action and get interested, and come to sit down and watch with him. Now I’m hooked.

The main character, she is adorable. I love the little gap between her front teeth - the fact that she’s not “cookie-cutter actress” with bleached hair extensions, spray tan, and a boob job. She’s cute, very real, and imperfect character in her behavior.

For example, her character is torn between love and lust for three characters, each a very different sort of love or lust. I enjoy how this explores real life - how there are different sorts of love. Passionate lust vs. long lasting friendship sort of love vs. a deep but unattainable love. I love how the writers could make her character cheat on her boyfriend, yet the audience relates to it and still likes the character. That is hard to do, and they do work her guilt into the script.

Signature 

Posted: 31 March 2010 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2007-07-05
Jules - 31 March 2010 09:03 AM

The main character, she is adorable. I love the little gap between her front teeth - the fact that she’s not “cookie-cutter actress” with bleached hair extensions, spray tan, and a boob job. She’s cute, very real, and imperfect character in her behavior.

That is one of the weird/annoying things about being brainwashed by television.  We watch so much of it we can’t even know how much it has affected us.

Many years ago I was watching another British show A Touch of Frost.

And while I watched this thought just comes up in the back of my mind, “Why are the women in this show so ugly?”

Then I start wondering why that question came up and started paying more conscious attention to the women.  Then I notice, they aren’t ugly they just are much more ordinary looking than in American television shows.  So I guess that is what I am programmed to expect from television.  But what does that say about how I have been affected in real life?

I’ll check out some more Torchwood since I can download it from Youtube but alien monsters biting people doesn’t raise my enthusiasim.  I liked A Touch of Frost so I don’t think it’s the Britishness that turned me off of Torchwood.

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 31 March 2010 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2007-09-03
Jules - 31 March 2010 06:56 AM

Thanks for the plug—I’ll give it a try.

I didn’t know Netflix did the DVDs of TV shows - thanks for that info too

Posted: 31 March 2010 05:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

I watched Dr. Who from about 1974 for about six years when it went off the program list for the local Public Television station.  Then, when I saw they were bringing it back a few years ago, I was delighted.  I watched one episode and found I had two problems with it.  First, it wasn’t nearly as humorous as the earlier series, and second, they didn’t have subtitles.  I spent my first nine years in New England around many people with strong British accents, so I figured I could easily understand them.  Not so with the actors in the recent series.  I probably could have managed their accents, but they should have spit out the mouthful of peas porridge cold when they spoke.

Occam

Posted: 31 March 2010 06:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

I loved the old Dr. Who - I watched it with my Dad from the time I was very small. Went through a couple of “Doctors” in the series as the years went by. Loved the old re-runs. When I was older I’d order whatever Dr. Who stuff PBS was giving away for donations, to give to my Dad (Dr. Who coffee mugs and old series on VCR tapes, etc.)

As campy and cheesy as the old series was, it was so much fun. I do remember one episode as a child, with a severed hand that scared the bejesus out of me though! It was a dark, crumbly creepy looking hand, that inched about on its own using its fingers. I had nightmares about that hand for years as a kid. I’d dream it was inching toward me while I slept, and would choke me or suffocate me in my sleep.  gulp

Signature 

Posted: 31 March 2010 08:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

Nice to see when short term actors manage to get a job on a different series.  For example, the one you mentioned, Jules.  I seem to remember that he moved to “The Adams Family”.  LOL

Occam

Posted: 31 March 2010 08:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2008-06-03
Occam - 31 March 2010 08:33 PM

Nice to see when short term actors manage to get a job on a different series.  For example, the one you mentioned, Jules.  I seem to remember that he moved to “The Adams Family”.  LOL

Occam

But that Adams Family hand was a happy and friendly hand! The Dr. Who hand was murderous. wink

Signature 

Posted: 31 March 2010 08:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

Speak of the devil, husband and I just watched an episode of Torchwood tonight called dead man walking. It had a severed metal hand jump on someone’s face and drain the life out of them. I had such a jump, and such a laugh having just been discussing my fear of severed hands.  LOL I’m sure to have nightmares about hands now! Although a metal hand is not as scary as a severed “real hand.” I hope my husband doesn’t stuff a glove with newspaper and frighten the wits out of me for April Fools.

Signature 

Posted: 01 April 2010 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

Quoting Jules:

But that Addams Family hand was a happy and friendly hand! The Dr. Who hand was murderous.

Well that was after hand (Thing) got psychiatric therapy from Morticia’s uncle Fester. smile

Occam

1 of 2