1 of 2
Let’s Talk About Geoengineering—Announcing My Next Point of Inquiry Guest, Eli Kintisch of Science Magazine
Posted: 01 April 2010 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2010-02-11

Dear Listeners,

Send your questions now….I’m interviewing Science Magazine’s Eli Kintisch about his new book, Hack the Planet: Science’s Best Hope—or Worst Nightmare—for Averting Climate Catastrophe

http://www.amazon.com/Hack-Planet-Sciences-Nightmare-Catastrophe/dp/047052426X

will geoengineering work? and should we try it?

should be a fun show. get in questions by Tuesday for a chance of them appearing on the air on Friday….

[ Edited: 10 April 2010 06:38 AM by dougsmith ]

Posted: 01 April 2010 04:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03

1. does he think geoengineering is inevitable in the long run—even if not needed in the 21st century.

2. Does he think terraforming of Mars or Venus is practical—does he think this is inevitable as well

Posted: 01 April 2010 05:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  4726
Joined  2007-10-05

Geoengineering is a bandage on the problem. We cannot solve pollution, habitat loss, mass extinctions, rainforest destruction and resource depletion through geoengineering. What is the point and how could this solve anything?

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 01 April 2010 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  4416
Joined  2008-08-14

What is the definition of geoengineering in relation to what humankind has already been doing for a few thousand or so years?(especially the last 2-3 centuries)
And now facetiously…..So that’s it? We are going to “hack” the planet now? We’re going to wire Earth up for sound?
Accurately though, geoengineering has been going on for along time, like I mentioned above. What delineates this authors version of geoengineering from the rest of the engineering? It starts when we get it right and start manipulating the Earth for good. Right….

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 01 April 2010 07:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15343
Joined  2006-02-14

Seems to me the main questions with geoengineering are:

(1) Is it really feasible in a reasonable timeframe compared with simply abating greenhouse gases themselves?

(2) Will it really abate enough of the ill effects of greenhouse gases to make it worthwhile?

(3) How do the all-in costs compare with the costs of simply reducing greenhouse gases?

(4) What side effects, if any, would such technology have?

This basically amounts to a sophisticated cost/benefit analysis. Personally, I’m not opposed in principle to geoengineering if it really is feasible, cost effective and with reasonable side effects. That said, I am skeptical as to whether any of this is so. My concern is that we not end up wasting valuable time testing and discarding one and another vastly complex and expensive scheme while doing nothing to abate the basic issue. On the other hand, if geoengineering proves worthwhile, then of course it can be one of many strategies we pursue to get the problem under control.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 01 April 2010 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-04-01

Why don’t we just change the orbit from time to time. I prefer a steady 65 F with a little dew in the morning. Great golf weather. Or, better yet, forget geoengineering and start behaving like grown-ups. Sorry, not buying the book, but I’m sure it’s great fodder for journalists to debate ad nauseum. You know, you got to make a living.

Posted: 04 April 2010 06:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03

Kintisch had an article in the last week or so on the topic

http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceinsider/2010/03/scientists-call-for-climate-inte.html

Can you both get him to broadly explain the issues for listeners who aren’t focused on this area, and then dig a little deeper into one issue I hadn’t thought about until reading this article above:
What is the role of commercial companies in geo-engineering solutions? What does he think is the likely way that geo-engineering solutions would be implemented—are there analogies or precedents to point to?

Posted: 04 April 2010 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-04-04

As with all actions, there will be unintended consequences.  Given the massive scale of effective geoengineering, how can we possibly protect ourselves from massive unintended negative consequences?

Posted: 04 April 2010 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  258
Joined  2010-02-28

There are many questions around the technical feasibility of geoengineering, but what are the geopolitical implications if such an endeavour was planned. If a single nation acts unilaterally to “save the planet”, is this a potential flash point for conflict?

Signature 

http://watchingthedeniers.wordpress.com/

Posted: 06 April 2010 08:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-02-11

Once again, folks, really good and challenging questions. I’ll be asking some of them tonight. Thank you so much for contributing, and listen for the show on Friday….

Posted: 07 April 2010 03:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-02-11

Hey Folks,
We recorded the show last night, and while it went great, I didn’t get to ask as many of these questions as I wanted to. But, Eli Kintisch has agreed to come over here and answer questions on Friday after the show airs. Stand by for more details on that….

chris

Posted: 07 April 2010 06:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  258
Joined  2010-02-28
CMooney - 07 April 2010 03:39 AM

Hey Folks,
We recorded the show last night, and while it went great, I didn’t get to ask as many of these questions as I wanted to. But, Eli Kintisch has agreed to come over here and answer questions on Friday after the show airs. Stand by for more details on that….

chris

Thanks Chris, looking forward to the show!

Signature 

http://watchingthedeniers.wordpress.com/

Posted: 07 April 2010 08:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  1783
Joined  2008-08-09

When does the show air, I’ve always listened to the oldies?

This could be worth catching ‘live’. cool smirk

ps.

lps2001 - 01 April 2010 08:00 PM

Or, better yet, forget geoengineering and start behaving like grown-ups.

What an awesome concept.

[ Edited: 07 April 2010 08:40 PM by citizenschallenge ]
 Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus is not formed by scientists !
The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 09 April 2010 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
CMooney - 07 April 2010 03:39 AM

Hey Folks,

Not sure about Eli’s schedule, but it may make sense to wait a day or three so people have time to listen to the podcast first ... Not sure how many people listen to it immediately, but I’d expect it’s probably a significant minority.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 09 April 2010 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-02-11

I don’t think Eli will be answering questions Friday now. Looks like he will do it over the weekend…..I’ll find out.

Posted: 09 April 2010 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
CMooney - 09 April 2010 01:01 PM

I don’t think Eli will be answering questions Friday now. Looks like he will do it over the weekend…..I’ll find out.

I’ll start up a thread on this general topic ... (How soon people listen to the podcast).

If I had to hazard a guess I’d expect that by mid next week we’d get most of them.

Signature 

Doug

1 of 2