2 of 2
Let’s Talk About Geoengineering—Announcing My Next Point of Inquiry Guest, Eli Kintisch of Science Magazine
Posted: 09 April 2010 02:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  258
Joined  2010-02-28
dougsmith - 09 April 2010 01:02 PM
CMooney - 09 April 2010 01:01 PM

I don’t think Eli will be answering questions Friday now. Looks like he will do it over the weekend…..I’ll find out.

I’ll start up a thread on this general topic ... (How soon people listen to the podcast).

If I had to hazard a guess I’d expect that by mid next week we’d get most of them.

I’ll no doubt be listening to this one over weekend, as I’m very interested in this topic.

Signature 

http://watchingthedeniers.wordpress.com/

Posted: 09 April 2010 07:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1783
Joined  2008-08-09

Well, it’s on the air. . .  ‘er cyberspace grin
I need to admit, a part of me had the pencil sharpened ready to “call” this guy with his geoengineering stuff.

But then, Mooney’s thoughtful introduction, that covered a lot of bases, softened me up. 
The interview that followed turned out to be interesting.  Kintisch is thoughtful, smart and quite informative. 

I felt Mooney did an excellent job. 
This is a PoI interview I look forward to listening to another couple times, along with hearing what the general opinion is.

Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus is not formed by scientists !
The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 09 April 2010 10:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  6640
Joined  2007-10-05

I listened to the podcast this afternoon. I was also prepared to jump on Kintisch for ignoring the underlying problem while proposing a “feel-good” solution. I’ll have to listen to the podcast again and take notes to get the quotes right, but fairly early in he said geoengineering to remove greenhouse gases would address the cause of the problem. I slapped my head at this point and said to myself “He doesn’t get it. Emissions are not the cause.” Then later on Kintisch said we should never consider geoengineering unless we reduce our emissions first.

Yes! He gets it.

Very fine podcast. Balanced and informative. Thanks Chris.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 10 April 2010 06:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15767
Joined  2006-02-14

CC and Darron, you should really post these responses in the thread about the podcast HERE. This thread is supposed to be mainly for questions for the guest ...

(I’m wondering if in future we should just lock these threads once the interview has taken place ...)

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 10 April 2010 06:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  6640
Joined  2007-10-05

Sorry. Good idea about locking the threads.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 10 April 2010 06:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
DarronS - 10 April 2010 06:20 AM

Sorry. Good idea about locking the threads.

I’m in contact with Chris to see what he wants to do. Will update.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 10 April 2010 06:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

OK, I’ve discussed the matter with Chris. Please direct your questions, responses, feelings, inquiries, etc. regarding this podcast to the “official” podcast thread by clicking this link.

I’m locking this thread.

Signature 

Doug

2 of 2