3 of 3
The gall of the Roman Catholic Church knows no bounds.
Posted: 09 April 2010 04:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  698
Joined  2007-10-14

`
The last sentence in this article sums it all up I think…...

The Future of Catholic Celibacy May Be In Doubt

Are they truly idiots or wilfully ignorant as a result of egregious cognitive dissonance?

`

Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 09 April 2010 09:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  4837
Joined  2007-10-05
Axegrrl - 09 April 2010 04:29 PM

Are they truly idiots or wilfully ignorant as a result of egregious cognitive dissonance?

Yes.

I have decided I will never again tiptoe around my feelings about the Catholic Church. Not in class. Not around my friends. Not even around my relatives, who are conservative but not Catholic. Any institution that harbors child rapists and excommunicates men for marrying a consenting adult is evil. I have long detested the Catholic Church but tolerated the people who attend Catholic Churches. No more. Anyone who gives money to these evil men is complicit in their crimes. It is time to quit giving this institution any kind of respect, and time to speak openly and unabashedly about the Catlick Church’s sins.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 09 April 2010 09:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

From the ever prescient Onionhttp://www.theonion.com/articles/pope-vows-to-get-church-pedophilia-down-to-accepta,17201/

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 12 April 2010 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  230
Joined  2010-02-20
jump_in_the_pit - 07 April 2010 03:16 PM
TeachScience - 07 April 2010 02:03 PM

The problem of Pedophilia is ingrained in the structure of the RCC.  The ban on religious marrying, the veneration of virginity,

Why do we always have to hear these baseless prejudices and demonization attempts?  Aren’t the facts of this situation bad enough without the rhetoric?  First the priests, a large group, whether innocent or not all getting blamed for pedophilia, then they get labled as gay and all the innocent gay men get labeled as pedophiliacs also, now in this thread the unmarried are getting blamed as pedophiliacs as well.  Baseless rhetoric all of it!

The church as a whole is culpable for years of covering up.  It strains credulity to think that other priests were unaware of these behaviors as they happened in churches, rectories, church camps, etc
A blind eye was turned in the interests of “the universal church” as stated in the letter from Cardinal Ratzinger. As for demonization, I don’t need to do anything, the church is doing a fine job all by itself. 
Where did I say that all priests were pedophiles?  I’ve known many priests and none were pedophiles, some were gay and some weren’t, some were celibate and some weren’t.  The idea that being gay
makes one a pedophile is ludicrous, being a pedophile makes one a pedophile!  Clearly these individuals, the pedophiles, had some underlying issues of a sexual nature before they took
their vocations, vocations DID NOT make them pedophiles, they were pedophiles when they got there..  I speculate that the choice of a vocation was in part made to assuage their underlying deviance, to isolate them from temptations of the flesh so to speak.  Clearly that choice failed and they acted out.

If an individual has a mental illness like pedophilia, first we need to protect the victims, then treat the person’s illness.  If there is more than one then use math, not a blankent prejudice, to expand the blame.  That is the reality.  Expamding the blame out in order to blanket larger and larger groups is not going to solve any problems.  Catholics (the large group) are protesting the circumstance,  the Vatican (a small group) is using their power against the Catholic victims.  Lets not blow the blame out-of-proportion, keep this forum out of the gutter please.

I would love to see a study of the rates of sexual deviance in religions were priests/pastors are allowed to marry and have families and Catholicism.  Family, marriage, sex are all part of the human condition and the avoidance of them can and does lead to isolation from the human community.  The belief that priests are “better” removes the connection to others that is so necessary to viewing others as equals and sets the stage for victimization.  History is replete with too many examples to go into here, suffice it to say that it is much more difficult to violate your equal than a supposed inferior.

Lets not blow the blame out-of-proportion, keep this forum out of the gutter please.

Seriously!

Signature 

“The present age ... prefers the sign to the thing signified, the copy to the original, fancy to reality, the appearance to the essence ... for in these days illusion only is sacred, truth profane.”

Feuerbach

Posted: 12 April 2010 05:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  230
Joined  2010-02-20
DarronS - 09 April 2010 09:51 PM

Yes.

I have decided I will never again tiptoe around my feelings about the Catholic Church. Not in class. Not around my friends. Not even around my relatives, who are conservative but not Catholic. Any institution that harbors child rapists and excommunicates men for marrying a consenting adult is evil. I have long detested the Catholic Church but tolerated the people who attend Catholic Churches. No more. Anyone who gives money to these evil men is complicit in their crimes. It is time to quit giving this institution any kind of respect, and time to speak openly and unabashedly about the Catlick Church’s sins.

I’ve felt and acted this way for years, even before the scandal broke.

Signature 

“The present age ... prefers the sign to the thing signified, the copy to the original, fancy to reality, the appearance to the essence ... for in these days illusion only is sacred, truth profane.”

Feuerbach

Posted: 12 April 2010 11:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Total Posts:  1783
Joined  2008-08-09
TeachScience - 12 April 2010 05:24 PM

Family, marriage, sex are all part of the human condition and the avoidance of them can and does lead to isolation from the human community.  The belief that priests are “better” removes the connection to others that is so necessary to viewing others as equals and sets the stage for victimization.  History is replete with too many examples to go into here, suffice it to say that it is much more difficult to violate your equal than a supposed inferior.

Ditto.

Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus is not formed by scientists !
The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 13 April 2010 02:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03

Two articles in Monday USA Today

[ Stephen Prothero articl: Vatican must confess, apologize, put children first]
Prothero is a “believe in belief” supporter of religion but he has lost all patience with Catholic church and thinks Benedict is ill-equipped to lead the church in an era of media. He notes that John Paul II was an actor before he became a priest{news to me}

Whenever I teach Roman Catholicism, I assign the Syllabus of Errors. Issued in 1864 by Pope Pius IX, this anti-modern manifesto catalogs modernity’s errors from 1 to 80, concluding with a deliciously imperious condemnation of the view that “the Roman Pontiff can, and ought to, reconcile himself, and come to terms with progress, liberalism and modern civilization.”

Today the tables have turned. The Vatican still portrays itself as an arbiter of truth and moral probity, but increasingly modern people are compiling a syllabus of its errors.

The second is an inadequate defense of the Pope’s role:
[Philip Lawler editor of Catholic Wolrd News: Pope is on the case and has been]
He disputes the New York Times stories link the Pope to the scandals (link to USA Today story on the topic at the bottom of the page!)

Posted: 13 April 2010 08:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Total Posts:  346
Joined  2008-09-10
DarronS - 09 April 2010 09:51 PM

Yes.

I feel much the same about citizens of any nation, or members of any organization, that at anytime does something criminal or immoral.  How dare they support such actions?  Accordingly, there are very few people I tolerate—indeed, there may not be any I do tolerate.

Signature 

“Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain.” 
—F. Schiller

http://theblogofciceronianus.blogspot.com

Posted: 11 May 2010 02:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03

New Article By Sam Harris
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sam-harris/bringing-the-vatican-to-j_b_571088.html

Sam Harris is very serious when he discusses
The Irish Commission on Child Abuse report

.....But behind these indiscretions there is a continuum of abuse that terminates in utter evil. The scandal in the Catholic Church—one might now safely say the scandal that is the Catholic Church—includes the systematic rape and torture of orphaned and disabled children. Its victims attest to being whipped with belts and sodomized until bloody—sometimes by multiple attackers—and then whipped again and threatened with death and hell fire if they breathed a word about their abuse. And yes, many of the children who were desperate or courageous enough to report these crimes were accused of lying and returned to their tormentors to be raped and tortured again.

Posted: 11 August 2010 08:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

That Vatican, they really know how to protect their own from any just action against them.  That’s more good luck for the Irish, sarcastically speaking.  “Archdiocese confirms bishops’ resignation rejected”.  That Pope Benedict XVI, he’s a real piece of work isn’t he.

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 11 August 2010 08:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Total Posts:  4837
Joined  2007-10-05
jump_in_the_pit - 11 August 2010 08:42 PM

That Vatican, they really know how to protect their own from any just action against them.  That’s more good luck for the Irish, sarcastically speaking.  “Archdiocese confirms bishops’ resignation rejected”.  That Pope Benedict XVI, he’s a real piece of work isn’t he.

Yep. He’s still a good Nazi.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

3 of 3