Net Neutrality
Posted: 04 July 2006 09:13 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2006-04-27

Man… what won’t they sell out?

http://www.savetheinternet.com/ Go, and be active!

In a nut shell: the big comm companies are going to charge websites money or they get put into the "slow lane," meaning it will take longer for websites to load.

Also, they can block sites if they disagree with content.

Major blue ribbon alert.

Signature 

Our love of what is beautiful does not lead to extravagance; our love of things of the mind does not make us soft.—Thucydides, Book II

Posted: 28 August 2007 08:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2007-08-27

I agree with your concern.  This is too important of an issue to just complain amongst ourselves.  I wrote and phoned my district U.S. Senator.  Hope you did too.

Posted: 28 August 2007 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

I agree, but I wonder it this will backfire if they accomplish it.  I can’t imagine much that would piss off the young Internet users more than that.  It may be just what is needed to galvanize our population to take back the government.

Occam

Posted: 28 August 2007 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2007-08-27

Check this out.  Copowi.    A “neutral” ISP just formed..it bills itself as a “social enterprise” instead of a traditional business, and sends free Ubuntu Linux CDs to every new customer.  All they need is a price that compares to ATT or verizon. As of now it’s fairly close.

Copowi’s main pitch is a fully neutral network, which it defines as one that provides “equal access to all web sites and online services.” The idea is that usage will be unrestricted and traffic will not be shaped, throttled, or prioritized.

This gives me hope.  All we have to do is vote with our checkbook.  Soon we could have options-choices that circumvent the monopolies (often for free) just like Linux allows.  For now, I do most of my personal computing on Linux PCLOS and do windows networking to make a living.

IMO, Linux is perfect for users with slightly older PC’s that mainly do word proc., email, web surfing and play music.  Firefox browser and thunderbird mail are nice.  Linux KDE interface is beautiful.  Linux is improving and growing fast now thanks to the open GPL and developer/user community.  Don’t let the militant linux geeks scare ya. Most users are helpful.