3 of 3
Eli Kintisch - Is Planet-Hacking Inevitable?
Posted: 12 April 2010 08:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2010-02-11

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for all the comments. I assure you, my next show will have NOTHING to do with climate change!

cm

Posted: 12 April 2010 10:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1783
Joined  2008-08-09
Jordan - 12 April 2010 02:37 PM

Citizenschallenge,

I appreciate your enthusiasm. Despite my climate change fatigue, what I would enjoy hearing would be an intelligence-squared style debate, or an interview with an AGW-denier scientist, or yet, get a proponent to ask a question of the opponent, who would in turn would answer then ask a question of the proponent, and so on, with Chris (or a more neutral party?) moderating.

Oh buddy am I with you there.

I have been trying to get one of those initiated in the worst way, but the candidates keep disappearing on me.
(Don’t get me wrong I have no illusion about being some expert or anything, but I am knowledgeable and I know where to go for additional information, and I’m still looking for an honest skeptic who doesn’t run away.)

Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus is not formed by scientists !
The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 13 April 2010 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2010-02-11

My latest blog post on this topic—why we should by Kintisch’s and Goodell’s new geoengineering books, and save the reading public from the Superfreaks!

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/intersection/2010/04/13/the-great-geoengineering-publishing-smackdown-of-2010/

cm

Posted: 13 April 2010 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  258
Joined  2010-02-28

Thanks Chris, and I made the mistake of reading Superfreaks: the chapter on global warming was dismal. They where rightly criticised for there errors.

Signature 

http://watchingthedeniers.wordpress.com/

Posted: 15 April 2010 02:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

Thanks Chris and Eli, this was one scary podcast I really enjoyed. It was very informative. Chris, I don’t mind that it was another podcast on AGW, it has become the problem of the century…at least. But I would not object to another subject. smile

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 15 April 2010 10:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Joined  2008-08-09

Well folks ?

What about that Icelandic volcano?

A fresh experiment is underway. 

Bioengineering Lab 2010,  earth leading the way. 
Will we twist and distort what we witness, or might we actually learn something?

The game is a foot ! ! !

cool smirk  cool smile  cool grin

Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 16 April 2010 04:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Joined  2008-08-09

Jeff Goodell author of “How to Cool the Planet: Geoengineering and the Audacious Quest to Fix Earth’s Climate” was interviewed on NPR’s Fresh Air.  4-15-10

The idea that geoengineering can combat global warming is a controversial one, fraught with scientific uncertainties and ethical issues. In his new book, How to Cool the Planet, Jeff Goodell explains that there are certainly some good reasons to be reluctant to tinker with the Earth’s climate—but there are also some very good reasons to take the idea seriously. . .

“Interest in Geoengineering is driven less by mad scientists than by spineless politicians…”

Goodell seemed to be making many of the same points Kintisch was.

Signature 

Posted: 16 April 2010 05:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Joined  2010-02-28
citizenschallenge - 15 April 2010 10:10 PM

Well folks ?

What about that Icelandic volcano?

A fresh experiment is underway. 

Bioengineering Lab 2010,  earth leading the way. 
Will we twist and distort what we witness, or might we actually learn something?

The game is a foot ! ! !

cool smirk  cool smile  cool grin

Guys over at Hot-Topic-Nz have a good overview with links on issue: addressing “will it result in cooling”:

http://hot-topic.co.nz/an-eyeful-of-eyjafjallajokull-no-cooling-threat-yet/

Signature 

Posted: 16 April 2010 06:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Total Posts:  2422
Joined  2007-09-03
citizenschallenge - 16 April 2010 04:43 AM

Jeff Goodell author of “How to Cool the Planet: Geoengineering and the Audacious Quest to Fix Earth’s Climate” was interviewed on NPR’s Fresh Air.  4-15-10

And this week Public Radio International has
[ Scott Barett at world-science.org with an interview on geoengineering]
Notes on the www site link to Kintisch as well as a Scientific American article
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=geoengineering-how-to-cool-earth

Posted: 19 April 2010 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2010-03-23

The word hacking comes from the world of computers, which are as different from the natural world and the planetary system as a robot differs from a human being.  A “hack”, performed on a program, can be a clever, elegant innovation, or a clumsy, kludgy workaround.  Hacks are quick fix.  The idea is to avoid the fundamental rethink involved when creating something from scratch.  There is a definite aura of fun around many uses of the word.  To get a good idea of the culture that created this usage of the word, read “The Hackers Dictionary”. 

The idea that performing an emergency planet scale experiment because the consequences of climate change have become so unbearable that people have become ready to try anything as a quick fix, such as an inherently untestable until first use at full scale scheme such as any that these “geoengineers” have come up with should be cheerfully called “planet hacking”, as if there was an element of fun to it, offended me repeatedly, as the word was shoved in my face throughout the book.

Was this book actually written with no discussion of ocean acidification?  I am about half way through, and I can’t believe it.  What, the scientists studying geoengineering don’t talk about it?

Posted: 19 April 2010 04:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Joined  2010-02-28

Good question… I’ve ordered book so can’t comment.

Anyone else?

Signature 

Posted: 12 December 2010 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Total Posts:  2422
Joined  2007-09-03
Adam Isaak - 09 April 2010 10:05 AM

And now, the full story is related in Kintisch’s new book Hack the Planet: Science’s Best Hope—or Worst Nightmare—for Averting Climate Catastrophe.

Two climate books reviewed in 26 Nov 2010 Science by Kevin Trenbeth:
(1) this one Hacking the Planet
(2) “The Climate Fix” by Pielke which Trenbeth critques seriously.
AAAS site. If I find open access I’ll post
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/330/6008/1178.summary
Discussion of Pielke’s complaints about the review…
http://wottsupwiththat.com/2010/11/27/pielke-jr-on-trenberth’s-book-review/

This was the issue the kitty lapping milk on the cover
http://newsfeed.time.com/2010/11/12/the-incredible-science-behind-the-the-drinking-kitty/

My transcription of a couple paragraphs———-will come back and edit typos later—-:

Whereas Pielke’s account tend to minimiz the reisk assoicated with climate change,k Kintisch’s very readable bookd emphasizes them.  Each chapter opens with an example of past humanattempts to forge geoengineering solutions to various kinds of prolems, ew of which were successful.  The esscence of geoengineering is not to attempt to directly forestall the problem but rather to implement alternative devies to deal with the symptoms.  The difficulty with this approach is thateven when it proves possible to alleviate the immediate predicament, ther are often unintended consequences andside effets that could prove even worse than the orignail problem.

Unfortunately, The Climate Fix often toys with the truth and uses highly selective evidence to bolster its case, furthrer politicizing climate change science.  Readers of Hack the Planet will gain a better understanding of teh severe challenges posed by anthropogenic changes to Earth’s climate

3 of 3