Poll
How soon do you listen to the podcast after it’s been posted?
Immediately 0
Same day 0
Next day 1
A few days later 6
A week later 6
Total Votes: 13
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Question: how soon do you listen to Point of Inquiry after it’s posted?
Posted: 09 April 2010 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15765
Joined  2006-02-14

I’m looking for very rough answers here, on average ...

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 09 April 2010 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

For the sake of completeness, I usually listen to it several days afterwards, sometimes a week or more, but rarely.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 09 April 2010 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

I answered “a few days later” but it depends largely on the guest. If it’s somebody I find interesting I’ll listen to it right away but I’ll also ignore some podcasts completely.

Posted: 10 April 2010 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

I’m going to bump this one up again. Please answer if you have not, or post something in the thread about why the question is ill-formed. (For those of you who listen to PoI at all, of course).

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 10 April 2010 08:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  6640
Joined  2007-10-05

I answered a week later because that is the closest answer to what I do. If there is a topic I am particularly interested in I will listen to it within a day or two, but usually I add the podcast to a playlist for my iPod and liten to it when it comes up in the queue, which might be two weeks or six months later.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 10 April 2010 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  7716
Joined  2008-04-11

I’m with George on this one. If it has a guest I am interested in, I will listen in a few days. I check the forums for opinions on the others, if the feedback indicates it is something I should listen to, I will go back and listen to them. If it is declared to be absolutely horrid, most likely I will listen to it too, just to see if it could possible be as bad as advertised (call me a masochist!). There are some subjects that no amount of positive or negative criticism will remove the yawn factor, such as ‘Ayurveda’ or Oprah!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 11 April 2010 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03
dougsmith - 10 April 2010 07:51 PM

I’m going to bump this one up again. Please answer if you have not, or post something in the thread about why the question is ill-formed. (For those of you who listen to PoI at all, of course).

It depends mostly on what I am doing—I might be travelling or very busy that weekend.
It also depends on the topic—Chris Mooney is doing a great job advertising upcoming speakers.
Last couple weekends I have listened while doing outdoor chores Saturday mornings.
“Usually” I listen in car during the following week.

Of course the audience can throw this back at CFI and ask for a better explanation for the recent hiatus in podcasts—- perhaps POI lost listeners when weeks went by with nothing new posted.

It might give Chris Mooney some flexiblity if he could complete podcasts and put them in the “can” for the future. However, his “real-time” interviews do a better job capturing the audience (I think).  Randy Olson in “Don’t be Such a Scientist” mentioned that the “reality-based” TV shows grab the audience in ways that scripted shows do not—though it isn’t clear to me if it is the novelty or the “real-time”/“real acting”  that makes the difference.

Posted: 12 April 2010 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2009-04-16

Usually within a week.

Posted: 12 April 2010 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  4231
Joined  2006-11-28

I tend to listen in the car on my iphone, and I generally only update my podcasts every week or two, so I will listen to several over the course of a few days and then none for 1-2 weeks until the next update.

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 17 April 2010 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2010-04-12

What is Point of Inquiry?

Where it is posted?

Sorry.

Signature 

All science is either physics or stamp collecting - Ernest Rutherford

Posted: 17 April 2010 04:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  6640
Joined  2007-10-05

Point of Inquiry if CFI’s podcast. I download it from the iTunes store.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 17 April 2010 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2010-04-12

Thank’s DarronS

Signature 

All science is either physics or stamp collecting - Ernest Rutherford

Posted: 17 April 2010 08:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  2802
Joined  2007-07-05

Mostly not at all unless someone in the forum points something out of particular interest.

psik

Signature 

Physics is Phutile
Fiziks is Fundamental
Since 9/11 Physics has been History

Posted: 17 April 2010 09:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  698
Joined  2007-10-14

`
I usually listen to them weeks, if not months, later.  Only because I subscribe to so many podcasts and I’ll often get into a ‘mood’ and listen to nothing but, say, ‘Savage Love’ for a week at a time…......

needless to say, this leads to a huge amount of backlog.

If there’s a particularly interesting conversation going on here about it (or a contentious conversation:), I might listen to the episode sooner than usual.  But rarely.

`

Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 22 April 2010 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-03-03
Axegrrl - 17 April 2010 09:49 PM

`
I usually listen to them weeks, if not months, later.  Only because I subscribe to so many podcasts [...]
needless to say, this leads to a huge amount of backlog.

Same here. Now and then I will listen to audio books, and can’t keep up with podcasts. When done, I go through all the POIs.

When I discovered Point of inquiry I think there was two years of backlog that I downloaded, and I went through all of them. Two years ago I got a new job 30 mins away instead of more than an hour, so that resulted in a lot fewer podcasts.

Posted: 22 April 2010 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  7836
Joined  2007-03-02

Actually, I listen to it when I can.  I don’t always listen to my iTunes every night and unfortunately, it could be a month later when I get to it. I wish I could listen to it faster than that, but some nights I really wants some peace and quiet.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report