5 of 5
the chiropractic debate
Posted: 03 May 2010 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

Here’s a little update on that “American Chiropractic Assocation”

Studies are beginning to show that chiropractic can help children not only with typical back and neck pain complaints, but also with issues as varied as asthma, chronic ear infections, nursing difficulties, colic and bedwetting.”

Hmmm that is not from 100 years ago. And more info:

An article titled “The Child Patient: A Matrix for Chiropractic Care” in a 2005 edition of the Journal of Clinical Chiropractic Pediatrics, for example, stated: “Any alteration in form or function in the child may signal the presence of subluxation, and the subluxation may in turn alter the physiology of the child.”8 For wellness and prevention reasons, parents are advised that children should visit a chiropractor 6 to12 times a year to be checked for subluxations.8

Those don’t sound like a lot of nice chiropractors treating back and neck pain from car accidents. Sounds like preying on worried parents.

And kids are dying, getting paralyzed, and injured by manipulation:

A systematic review of 13 studies published up to June 2004 uncovered 14 significant manipulation-related injuries in children up to18 years of age, 9 of which were serious (e.g., subarachnoidal hemorrhage, paraplegia) and 2 of which were fatal (one child died from a brain hemorrhage and another from dislocation of the atlas following neck manipulation).

And separately:

In 20 cases of harm caused by delayed diagnosis as a result of using manipulation, 7 involved a delayed diagnosis of cancer; 2 children died because of delayed treatment for meningitis.

The “manipulator” missed what a pediatrician would not - cancer and meningitis. A stiff neck in a child is a classic sign of meningitis. Back pain in a child is rare. So rare that it should be a giant red flag that something serious is going on medically…

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 03 May 2010 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Total Posts:  4065
Joined  2006-11-28

Just to add a little to the point Jules has made with such devastating clarity, the Science-Based Medicine Blog today has an essay concerning precisely the kind of inappropriate and indefensible claims of the American Chiropractic Association concerning use of chiropractic in chidren, including use for many non-musculoskeletal conditions. This is not the fringe or the history of chiropractic but the very heart of the mainstream!

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 03 May 2010 08:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
Total Posts:  7664
Joined  2008-04-11

I’d be surprised if we hear from Felix again, his profession is indefensible. mad

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 04 May 2010 12:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  258
Joined  2010-02-28
asanta - 03 May 2010 08:32 PM

I’d be surprised if we hear from Felix again, his profession is indefensible. mad

Yep - once the evidence starts to pile up their cognitive dissonance causes them to flee.

Signature 

http://watchingthedeniers.wordpress.com/

Posted: 04 May 2010 06:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

Felix, if you truly believe that Chiropractors should focus on treating back pain only - then you need to take a stand against the ones who treat nonsense and cause great harm. You should know that our words and frustrations are not against you as a person, but against the dangerous and deceptive practices that mainstream chiropractic pushes. If you treat only back pain - good for you. But you need to fight the ones that are claiming to treat asthma, ear infections, HIV, cancer, and autism. They are dangerous, and people are dying because of them.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 04 May 2010 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
Total Posts:  1783
Joined  2008-08-09

Well, I’ve worked my back into a tiff again,
  and just don’t know what to do…  oh my.
Guess I’m going solo on this one and hope I can stretch it back into shape.

Actually, if money weren’t so tight I’d probably revisit the Chiropractor I saw a couple years back -
but no more neck cracks (I don’t think I received that during my last couple visits anyways) -
I always found them way spooky anyways.
My dear ex does it to herself all the time, makes me cringe. sick
yea she’s a woo believer and born again toboot -

Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus is not formed by scientists !
The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 02 October 2011 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2011-10-02

“I treat succesfully the following diseases:(Then there is a list of diseases, he thought at that time,  he could treat) ,and then he go on):

“I do not claim to cure all diseases , but I now treat and cure many diseases which I had not thought of doing five years ago.
Medicine and medical doctors are necessary, we cannot get along without them. But they cannot cure everybody. Neither can I. I especially invite those who have tried all other remedies and have failed to find relief.”

That did D.D. Palmer wrote 1896, one year before he started to teach chiropractic to other people. (From the magnetic Healer 1896)

So what S Barrett say:

“Chiropractic theory is rooted in the notions of Daniel David Palmer, a grocer and “magnetic healer” who postulated that the basic cause of disease was interference with the body’s nerve supply. Approximately a hundred years ago, he concluded that “A subluxated vertebrae . . . is the cause of 95 percent of all diseases. . . . The other five percent is caused by displaced joints other than those of the vertebral column.” [1] He proclaimed that subluxations interfered with the body’s expression of “Innate Intelligence”—the “Soul, Spirit, or Spark of Life” that controlled the healing process. He proposed to remedy the gamut of disease by manipulating or “adjusting” the problem areas.
Over the years, chiropractors have gone beyond Palmer’s theories, although some still cling to them for dear life”
So the view from 1895 had he left 1896. So how could chiropractors from 1897 to this day “still cling to them for dear life” Then D.D.palmer had left them 1896. OK a lot o thinghs were wrong was still in the 1800.

Heres a link with facts about chiropractic history:
http://buggesblogg.blogspot.com/2011/07/following-is-copied-from-medicine.html#comments

Posted: 02 October 2011 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-10-02

A link about E Ernst writings about chiropractic:

http://smperle.blogspot.com/2010/12/self-importance-of-being-ernst.html

Posted: 02 October 2011 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-10-02

Aout chiropractic and stroke risk:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2271108/pdf/586_2008_Article_634.pdf

Posted: 03 October 2011 06:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15343
Joined  2006-02-14
Helge - 02 October 2011 01:08 PM

Aout chiropractic and stroke risk:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2271108/pdf/586_2008_Article_634.pdf

Response HERE (#39).

(If discussions between these threads overlap I will merge them).

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

5 of 5