Top UFOlogist quits
Posted: 19 April 2010 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  350
Joined  2008-12-11

James Carrion at Follow the Magic Thread (followthemagicthread.blogspot.com) has a post about how, when a UFOlogist leader at the Mutual UFO Network (MUFON), he quit because realized that UFO stories “are based on half-truths, and outright manipulation that predictably draw in the believer but have also drawn in a number of Ufologists into their web of deception.”)

Of course, UFO believers will say that MUFON is a fringe and nonrepresentative UFO group.

http://followthemagicthread.blogspot.com/2010/04/goodbye-ufology-hello-truth.html

Posted: 19 April 2010 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  258
Joined  2010-02-28

What an amazing story! Thanks for posting that link.

I believe there are many direct comparisons with climate denial, creationism, alt-med… that someone can look at the evidence and make such a public “conversion” is testament to their open mindedness and intellectual honesty.

It does make you think that all the work the sceptics do can pay off.

Signature 

http://watchingthedeniers.wordpress.com/

Posted: 28 April 2010 07:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  908
Joined  2005-01-14

Has anyone seen the new “Ancient Aliens” series on the History channel?  When I was a kid, I would have eaten this stuff up, but as it is, I could only stand about fifteen minutes before cracking up.  It’s all so ridiculous you have to wonder how any of these people can keep a straight face!  And yet the History channel can waste their resources making a series about this garbage!

Posted: 28 April 2010 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26
advocatus - 28 April 2010 07:50 AM

Has anyone seen the new “Ancient Aliens” series on the History channel?  When I was a kid, I would have eaten this stuff up, but as it is, I could only stand about fifteen minutes before cracking up.  It’s all so ridiculous you have to wonder how any of these people can keep a straight face!  And yet the History channel can waste their resources making a series about this garbage!

I’ve seen that show.  Hell, I have a copy of Erich von Daniken’s Chariots of the Gods that I bought at a thrift store for a dollar.  (I think I got ripped off).  One side of me gets infuriated by the whole thing.  The condescending arrogance that the “ancient astronaut” people have irks me.  They all seem to think that people thousands of years ago were too ignorant or stupid to do anything other than beat rocks together.  The other side of me just likes to make snide remarks and ridicule them.  Plus, you know, a lot of the ancient astronaut stuff was simply pilfered from the writings of H.P Lovecraft.

And the History Channel is a joke.  It’s not even the Hitler Channel anymore.  It’s more like the Nostradamus Channel.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 28 April 2010 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14
Dead Monky - 28 April 2010 11:01 AM

And the History Channel is a joke.  It’s not even the Hitler Channel anymore.  It’s more like the Nostradamus Channel.

Too true ...

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

‹‹ Dilbert on Homeopathy      Inedia ››