10 of 11
agnostic vs atheist
Posted: 01 June 2010 10:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 136 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  276
Joined  2010-05-17
Sandy Price - 01 June 2010 08:08 AM

Maybe if you were in my shoes once in a while, you would realize my reports are based on my work with seniors, hospice and the American Red Cross.  I automatically help anyone who is hurt, fallen or fainted.  I spent years in training for mammals who were hurt and not one of my Christian friends ever did anything but warn me of law suits.  This training came fronm survival training at home and in school in case Santa Monica took a bomb during WW2.  We all took action during and after earthquakes.  It is not just in America but can be found when anyone is hurt and needs help.  I work with handicapped seniors here and my instincts help in my work.  I often make others take responsibility over and above their fear of losing a dollar in court.  In my mind, this is where individuals who can help are far and above those who live in fear.  I am Hospice and in case you don’t know what that is….I am with terminal patients who will soon die of their disease.  Their last wishes in how they want to die are what directs our actions.  Many refuse Christian members as all they want is the soul of the patient to add to this list of actions.  Christians have a sworn duty to direct the dying patient into the arms of Jesus.  Without this those poor souls will end up in hell. 

Christians in general are worse than many could believe.  In America they demand ownership of the Federal Government to save their own miserable souls when they die.

I too have been a hospice volunteer for many years…..but it pisses me off that as an a-theist I get no rewards in heaven for my work. confused

Posted: 01 June 2010 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 137 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  419
Joined  2007-08-24

I am only greatly concerned when the hypocrisy of any group heads into the government.  I read easily 25 books on the analyses of Christians in political powe. My last book was the story of “C” Street where Christian Senators live and share a portion of the condo for a place to have their lovers.  They justify this living above the law because their lives center around Jesus Christ.  How many Christian ministers do you see having their little lovers hidden from their congregations.  The power they have is the problem. 

We are all sexual critters but when one person takes the responsibility of issuing laws on others, it might be wise if they kept a couple of oaths they took when getting married and protecting the Constitution.  We have just scratched the surface of the clergy and Priests who are paid to take our pleas for forgiveness.  I wanted my kids out of this hypocrisy and nobody is going to tell them they are sinners.  If they sin, they will know it as they grew up with Rand and a strong dose of right versus wrong. 

Once we get the Separation of Church and State set in cement and keep our Constitution free from hell and damnation, things will improve.

Posted: 01 June 2010 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 138 ]
Joined  2010-05-17
Sandy Price - 01 June 2010 10:27 AM

I am only greatly concerned when the hypocrisy of any group heads into the government.  I read easily 25 books on the analyses of Christians in political powe. My last book was the story of “C” Street where Christian Senators live and share a portion of the condo for a place to have their lovers.  They justify this living above the law because their lives center around Jesus Christ.  How many Christian ministers do you see having their little lovers hidden from their congregations.  The power they have is the problem. 

We are all sexual critters but when one person takes the responsibility of issuing laws on others, it might be wise if they kept a couple of oaths they took when getting married and protecting the Constitution.  We have just scratched the surface of the clergy and Priests who are paid to take our pleas for forgiveness.  I wanted my kids out of this hypocrisy and nobody is going to tell them they are sinners.  If they sin, they will know it as they grew up with Rand and a strong dose of right versus wrong. 

Once we get the Separation of Church and State set in cement and keep our Constitution free from hell and damnation, things will improve.

It’s altogether a difficult undertaking to surgically remove one concept from another concept.
My main concern right now is getting one more of those little green boxes below my name.

Posted: 01 June 2010 10:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 139 ]
Joined  2007-08-24

I did Hospice for me.  I had a couple of AIDs patients that I took care of without Hospice as it was not yet formed in our County.  I knew my patients and understood the mental condition they must be facing.  I also did some volunteer work for an infant facility in San Luis Obispo.  The owner had been a nurse at one of the big hospitals there and had seen babiers beaten nearly to death or babies born with tragic deformaties and this brave gal from Holland brought them to her hone and made it into a Hospice for infants.  The place soon filled up and needed operating money.  Our Congresswoman stopped in and vowed to send information to the state of California and also to the Federal Government.  I had designed costumes for many actors and put together a pattern that would hold a baby bottle that the infant could hold onto.  I made dozens of these from many of my yardage samples and when I left the area I turned in my patterns.  The Real Estate groups did many wonderful fund raisers for this facility but I was not strong enough emotionally to spend too much time with the babies.  The State of Californis now recognizes the value of this work and has financed many x ray machines and sterilizers for their use.  When I lived there my friends would decorate the facility with lights, animals and many tapes of music.  Christmas promotion for the facility brought many visitors with checks and gifts. 

I moved to Arizona and was trained in Hospice in Lake Havasu City.  I tended some patients but 911 shook the hell out of me and I realized how cheap life was to our Administration.  I knew damn well Bush knew in advance that we were going to be attacked and I emotionally fell apart.  I packed up and moved to the Phoenix area.  I will never forgive the government for ignoring the warnings.  I’m moving back to California where I will get back in Hospice because I know that is what I need and want.

Posted: 01 June 2010 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 140 ]
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26

Politicians for the most part play the religion card because it wins them votes.  They do their damnedest to play up their faith and ‘family values’ (whatever that means) because it gets people to follow them.  People are more willing to support and vote for those that they perceive of as having the same beliefs/values as themselves.  Their personal lives are a separate matter.  They typically try to hide their various indiscretions, such as they are, because if it was publicly known that they say liked to have kinky, hardcore, S&M sex with other men it would cost them votes from the [insert demographic].  When their peccadillos are exposed they turn to their ‘faith’ because they know damn well that people are willing to forgive or overlook things if they’re a member of the group.  It’s hard to say how many of them actually hold the beliefs they espouse, but like the rest of humanity, they probably run the gamut from fanatics to moderates to lip service to tortured self-loathing.

Not necessarily.  All humans, regardless of faith or lack thereof, are just as susceptible to corruption, hypocrisy, and judgmental behavior.  There’s no guarantee a completely secular society would be any better.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 01 June 2010 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 141 ]
Joined  2010-05-17
Dead Monky - 01 June 2010 10:48 AM

Politicians for the most part play the religion card because it wins them votes.  They do their damnedest to play up their faith and ‘family values’ (whatever that means) because it gets people to follow them.  People are more willing to support and vote for those that they perceive of as having the same beliefs/values as themselves.  Their personal lives are a separate matter.  They typically try to hide their various indiscretions, such as they are, because if it was publicly known that they say liked to have kinky, hardcore, S&M sex with other men it would cost them votes from the [insert demographic].  When their peccadillos are exposed they turn to their ‘faith’ because they know damn well that people are willing to forgive or overlook things if they’re a member of the group.  It’s hard to say how many of them actually hold the beliefs they espouse, but like the rest of humanity, they probably run the gamut from fanatics to moderates to lip service to tortured self-loathing.

Not necessarily.  All humans, regardless of faith or lack thereof, are just as susceptible to corruption, hypocrisy, and judgmental behavior.  There’s no guarantee a completely secular society would be any better.

Agreed.
People are merely a complex of highly evolved survival-reproductive reactions.
Their ultimate biological program….not their superficial belief system….dictates their actions.

Posted: 01 June 2010 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 142 ]
Joined  2007-08-24

I don’t know what those little green boxes indicate You can have some of mine if you want them.

Posted: 01 June 2010 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 143 ]
Joined  2010-05-17
Sandy Price - 01 June 2010 11:31 AM

I don’t know what those little green boxes indicate You can have some of mine if you want them.

I’m not sure what they are either.
All I know is almost everybody has more than me.

Posted: 01 June 2010 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 144 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

They indicate the number of posts one has made.  I’ve forgotten what the relationship between them and the number following.

Occam

Posted: 01 June 2010 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 145 ]
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29
Sandy Price - 01 June 2010 11:31 AM

I don’t know what those little green boxes indicate.

It means that once you get to ten green boxes you’re prolific enough to be now noticed by the FBI. Really.

Posted: 01 June 2010 01:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 146 ]
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26

It means that once you get to ten green boxes you’re prolific enough to be now noticed by the FBI. Really.

Awesome, and I’m almost there.  I need all ten.  Short of SPAM, what can I do?  Inane babble?  No, I already do that.  Bad jokes?  No, those too.  Toss in my two cents in a random, incoherent way?  Damn, I do that too.  Umm…...I know!  Insipid anecdotes from my own life.  Dammit!  I have nothing!

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 01 June 2010 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 147 ]
Joined  2010-05-17
Dead Monky - 01 June 2010 01:20 PM

Awesome, and I’m almost there.  I need all ten.  Short of SPAM, what can I do?  Inane babble?  No, I already do that.  Bad jokes?  No, those too.  Toss in my two cents in a random, incoherent way?  Damn, I do that too.  Umm…...I know!  Insipid anecdotes from my own life.  Dammit!  I have nothing!

This is funny…..and I get another post and maybe another green box for telling you that.

Posted: 01 June 2010 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 148 ]
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29
Dead Monky - 01 June 2010 01:20 PM

Short of SPAM, what can I do?

You can cheat!  wink

Posted: 01 June 2010 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 149 ]
Joined  2010-05-17
George - 01 June 2010 01:40 PM